Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
much more interesting episode... but my lord... are the writer's TRYING to make the audience hope Junky Depp dies? the guy siphons morphine off someone dying? talk about your unsympathetic characters.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
much more interesting episode... but my lord... are the writer's TRYING to make the audience hope Junky Depp dies? the guy siphons morphine off someone dying? talk about your unsympathetic characters.
He reminds me of Bob from TWD except I hate him even more.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Seems like they enjoy creating these despicable characters that survive and kill the good ones just to drive us crazy. (Merle?)

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like they enjoy creating these despicable characters that survive and kill the good ones just to drive us crazy. (Merle?)

You must be registered for see images attach

yeah, but Merle was pretty much just an outright villain. I think we're still supposed to care about Junky Depp... for some reason.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Junkie Depp... That still cracks me up.

But yeah talk about a bunch of characters you can't wait to see die.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but Merle was pretty much just an outright villain. I think we're still supposed to care about Junky Depp... for some reason.

Exactly. The outright bad guys give something to the audience to add tension, a sense of dread and something to root for (good guys).

This show? The only thing I dread is every scene with Junky Depp or seeing more scenes where someone leaves windows or doors open, cutting through a fence or running down the "unsafe" zone by yourself.

I think I just might cheer when Junky Depp gets eaten.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Exactly. The outright bad guys give something to the audience to add tension, a sense of dread and something to root for (good guys).

This show? The only thing I dread is every scene with Junky Depp or seeing more scenes where someone leaves windows or doors open, cutting through a fence or running down the "unsafe" zone by yourself.

I think I just might cheer when Junky Depp gets eaten.

I think he's going to become the groups Rick. There are signs that he's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and that he seems to understand whats going on better than anyone.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's going to become the groups Rick. There are signs that he's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and that he seems to understand whats going on better than anyone.

That will guarantee I stop watching. Plus I don't see it. The kid is too stupid, immature and doesn't have any leadership skills Rick has. I honestly think they are trying to make the dad the Rick in this show.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is obvious he is Carl. Heck, someone already told his mom to keep any eye on him.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Wow the stupidity continues with this last episode but I think it ended with some upside.

So Madison and her kids see Travis drive up to the front of their house which we all know has a walker in it. It seems like they are in the front of the neighbors house and most likely could just go through the front door to warn him. Yet somehow they decide it's better to go back through some maze of a backyard to warn him. Whatever, I've seen worse with this show so I guess it's not that bad in comparison.

What really bugged me, is Travis really that dense? He is standing there watching yet another walker eating a dead dog in his house and what does he do when the walker comes at him??? "Hey buddy are you OK?" This guy has to be the dumbest guy left on planet earth. How many times does a walker need to attack you for you to realize they are not your friend??? I was yelling at the TV in disgust at that point. Almost turned it off.

I felt it ended somewhat on a high note when the military came in. Hopefully these characters start to get a clue now that they realize the stuff is starting to hit the fan. Man the writing has been so poor up to this point! Going to give it a few more episodes.

I actually like the Barber guy and the ex-wife better than the two lead characters at this point. I say kill off the two parents and let the barber take care of the drugie, sister and step brother.

Seriously - re: Travis and the neighbor - I'd keep my distance regardless of whether I knew them or not, regardless of whether I thought they wanted to bite me or not. I'm fine to go along with the show, but I think sometimes it underestimates how people actually react to the grotesque.

chickenhead

Reaction score
This new episode was better, at least from a story telling standpoint. I still want, at least, half the characters dead. I like the barber, I'd like Madison if she wasn't so oddly robotic in every dramatic moment... the rest... I could do without. Except the daughter, its nice to have a cutie around in the apocalypse.

I thought I'd like Nick more early on but he has been a bit too on the nose in his portrayal of a narc junkie, kudos to him and the writing on that end but its just not the kind of person I want to spend time with.

As an aside; I know these kinds of shows require a suspension of disbelief but the way this zombie infestation is portrayed... I just struggle to see it taking the vast majority of the world down with it. Yeah, there would be utter chaos initially but the way these zombies shuffle around and struggle with things like a waist high fence... or a door... I don't see them posing a threat to humanity once people figured out a few basic things; the dead are rising, shoot them in the head to make them permanent dead. I feel like somewhere between 5 to 10 thousand people (and a lot of ammo) would be enough to calmly stroll around and wipe every single zombie out of North America, even if like 100 million people had already turned before they pieced things together.

It seems like in the end it's sheer numbers. Maybe some of that is informed by having read World War Z for me, but you definitely got it in TWD episodes like when Hershel's farm was overrun. You're right, we haven't see that yet in this show. LA sprawls but is also super dense--I feel like we haven't seen enough outside their neighborhood yet. Maybe it will be a situation where some areas and communities are underserved as usual, and this is where the momentum gets going.

chickenhead

Reaction score

It'll be interesting. Unless he gets clean, his addiction dictates that he'll take risks that serve it. Kind of like Charlie in the early seasons of Lost. We'll probably see a bit of both, and the tension will be in which way wins.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is obvious he is Carl. Heck, someone already told his mom to keep any eye on him.
Lol.

As for junkie depp and the end of episode 4
do you guys not think he is already dead? The military left with him and then travis saw gunshots in the house his son was watching from the roof. My interpretation is that everyone they just took from the neighborhood just got waxed to be sure there are no outbreaks or weak junkies in the community

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol.

As for junkie depp and the end of episode 4
do you guys not think he is already dead? The military left with him and then travis saw gunshots in the house his son was watching from the roof. My interpretation is that everyone they just took from the neighborhood just got waxed to be sure there are no outbreaks or weak junkies in the community

Nah, I think that was the military going up there on their own and killing the people who had been flashing signal lights down on the survivors. Travis, inadvertently, got them killed by telling the army his kid saw them.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Nah, I think that was the military going up there on their own and killing the people who had been flashing signal lights down on the survivors. Travis, inadvertently, got them killed by telling the army his kid saw them.

My assumption as well. Although the question remains whether:

A) the military shot the signaler because it thought they were infected, or they have orders to exterminate everyone outside the quarantine zones.

B) the signalers refused to be quarantined or otherwise resisted.

The tension in this episode seems to lead us to the latter, but were they signaling to Chris specifically (to warn him or make contact through back channels)? Or were they just flashing the light to anyone because they were trapped?

One thing that frustrated me was how Madison left the quarantine ostensibly to investigate the flashing light, but never actually did: the show cut away while she was under the car, and I guess we're to assume she just high-tailed it back to avoid the soldiers? It would have made more sense to show her deciding to give up and head back. When she told Sal what she saw, she made no mention of the signal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My assumption as well. Although the question remains whether:

A) the military shot the signaler because it thought they were infected, or they have orders to exterminate everyone outside the quarantine zones.

B) the signalers refused to be quarantined or otherwise resisted.

The tension in this episode seems to lead us to the latter, but were they signaling to Chris specifically (to warn him or make contact through back channels)? Or were they just flashing the light to anyone because they were trapped?

One thing that frustrated me was how Madison left the quarantine ostensibly to investigate the flashing light, but never actually did: the show cut away while she was under the car, and I guess we're to assume she just high-tailed it back to avoid the soldiers? It would have made more sense to show her deciding to give up and head back. When she told Sal what she saw, she made no mention of the signal.

Honestly, I'm finding it hard to care. It's like the writers took all the worst things about The Walking Dead and made a show of nothing but those things with Fear the Walking Dead. Horribly realized characters that nobody can root for and a situation that is quite frankly hilarious.

And what was with Alicia punishing herself (or whatever it was she was doing)? It was completely random, was she trying to remove the ink on her arm from her dead boyfriend? If it's some other problem, then great job by the writers for springing it on the audience like that. :rolleyes:

Not a good show.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what was with Alicia punishing herself (or whatever it was she was doing)? It was completely random, was she trying to remove the ink on her arm from her dead boyfriend? If it's some other problem, then great job by the writers for springing it on the audience like that. :rolleyes:

I think she was trying to make the drawing on her arm a perminant scar or something like that? That's my guess at least.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think she was trying to make the drawing on her arm a perminant scar or something like that? That's my guess at least.

To me it seemed like she had come to the realization that the boyfriend was probably dead and that the drawing was her last memory so she was trying to make it permanent using a kind of prison style tattoo. :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm finding it hard to care. It's like the writers took all the worst things about The Walking Dead and made a show of nothing but those things with Fear the Walking Dead. Horribly realized characters that nobody can root for and a situation that is quite frankly hilarious.

Not a good show.

she was trying to make a scar so she would never lose it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not a good show.
She was tattooing/scarring her boyfriend's drawing into her arm

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
To me it seemed like she had come to the realization that the boyfriend was probably dead and that the drawing was her last memory so she was trying to make it permanent using a kind of prison style tattoo. :shrug:

That sounds about right. Personally I try not to perseverate on smaller details like that. I'd rather be lost than have it spelled out for me like I'm a child.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would make sense too

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right. Personally I try not to perseverate on smaller details like that. I'd rather be lost than have it spelled out for me like I'm a child.

Honestly, I don't think the writers at this point can separate treating the audience like their stupid anymore than they can help treating their characters as if they are stupid on screen.

I don't know...it's probably not a good sign that this show makes me want TWD to comeback even sooner.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

That was just horribly sloppy writing and production.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Maybe we'll get lucky and that safezone will get overrun real soon, everyone will get eaten and we'll move on to a new group of survivors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort