Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Except the pilot is meant to hook you. If it's long and boring, it's doing a really crappy job of it. Aside from the first 10-15 minutes--which started well--it unraveled into repetitive plot points. In the pilot. It beat a dead horse already. In the pilot. This is the first half of season 2. Since its the same writers, I don't have faith that they'll do better.

Pilot = hook. A weak hook doesn't work for me.

Sorry for you, but I doubt the creators/producers are crying over it. Highest rated cable premiere ever. Big test will be how many people tune in next weekend.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for you, but I doubt the creators/producers are crying over it. Highest rated cable premiere ever. Big test will be how many people tune in next weekend.

Like you said they will be if ratings stat falling off over the next few weeks. So far, in all the forums it's been mostly positive but definitely some negative as well. More negative than I remember from the Pilot of TWD.

We shall see. I am not sold one way or the other at this point. I know plenty of shows that got off to a slow start story wise only to get better as it went along.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Like you said they will be if ratings stat falling off over the next few weeks. So far, in all the forums it's been mostly positive but definitely some negative as well. More negative than I remember from the Pilot of TWD.

We shall see. I am not sold one way or the other at this point. I know plenty of shows that got off to a slow start story wise only to get better as it went along.

Funny thing is, Walking Dead threads across the internet are WAAAAY more negative than anything I've seen about this pilot, so take it with a grain of salt.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is, Walking Dead threads across the internet are WAAAAY more negative than anything I've seen about this pilot, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was talking mainly after the pilot debut. It was praised by critics and fans alike. I hardly remember seeing any negative. I have read lots of posts from people feeling the same way I did about this pilot......it plodded along and was boring.

Again, I can deal with that if it's not the norm because after all it was a setup for the series. I just hope it changes. My larger concern for the show is none of the cast jumped out at me like in TWD. Audiences are going to tune out the don't connect to any of the characters.

I am still really looking forward to episode 2.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand why some would not like the pilot, but only if you have never seen the Walking Dead. We all know everyone is infected, but what we don't know if how it all unraveled. The way they eased into it and started to hint at it starting to spread was exactly what I expected and loved. I even loved the old man in the other bed while the kid was strapped in. You were just waiting! It will pick up steam as is all unfolds.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand why some would not like the pilot, but only if you have never seen the Walking Dead. We all know everyone is infected, but what we don't know if how it all unraveled. The way they eased into it and started to hint at it starting to spread was exactly what I expected and loved. I even loved the old man in the other bed while the kid was strapped in. You were just waiting! It will pick up steam as is all unfolds.

Clearly that is not the case. Most of the negative is I have read is coming from TWD fans. In fact, I don't recall seeing any negative from first time fans so far from the comments I have read on other forums.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly that is not the case. Most of the negative is I have read is coming from TWD fans. In fact, I don't recall seeing any negative from first time fans so far from the comments I have read on other forums.

And that is what I don't understand, other than Stout since I heard he even hates the childhood home videos. Bad angles, lighting and the story was a little weak. But seriously, many were begging for this and when you look at it, what did they expect?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, my wife and I watched episode 1/pilot last night and really enjoyed it. We didn't mind the "slow" pace that many here are complaining about. The characters are interesting and we like the way it played out.

****SPOILERS****

Seemed pretty realistic to have the outbreak kind of hush hush, with people finding out about it over the internet while the gov. tries to figure out what to do and prevent a mass panic.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is what I don't understand, other than Stout since I heard he even hates the childhood home videos. Bad angles, lighting and the story was a little weak. But seriously, many were begging for this and when you look at it, what did they expect?

Maybe that was the problem. Way out of whack expectations. Honestly, I loved every minute of TWD pilot. They hit it out of the park. I was expecting the same thing.

I am not jumping off the bandwagon just yet though. I still see huge potential and the next episode could blow me out of the water.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Except the pilot is meant to hook you. If it's long and boring, it's doing a really crappy job of it. Aside from the first 10-15 minutes--which started well--it unraveled into repetitive plot points. In the pilot. It beat a dead horse already. In the pilot. This is the first half of season 2 of the Walking Dead, IMO. Boring. Since its the same writers, I don't have faith that they'll do better.

Pilot = hook. A weak hook doesn't work for me.

True and I agree, but I think the writers are just riding the Walking Dead wave and feel they don't have to hook you in as if you are watching FWD then that means you are already into WD. Your already hooked.

I'm in the same boat as you Stout, it was pretty boring, but not going to give up on it just on the first show. Will give it a few more to see if I will stick with it or not.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave it a shot because I really like the lead actress, but man, did it stink. The first ten minutes or so seemed intriguing, like it would lead somewhere, but they kept playing on the same tired theme with the one character for NINETY MINUTES. That got really old, really fast. Plus, why wouldn't somebody say,
Gee, maybe she was eating the face because she was on bath salts
? Too sensible to be left out.

Nope, I'm getting out early. And, unless it improves, or if the 'ooh, it's popular, I HAVE to like it' doesn't catch on, it won't make season 2.
Season 2 has already been ordered

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One giant flaw in the original walking dead is that they NEVER use the word, "ZOMBIE"

They're called walkers, biters etc... Give me a break. If this happened in real life EVERYBODY would call them Zombies.
That's a flaw? Skipping an obvious word?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished it, thought it was very enjoyable, sucked me right in. I was expecting it to be exactly what it was though. This show is living in the zombie world that Rick slept through. Soon there will be anti walker airstrikes and complete chaos but that doesn't happen when 95% of society has no idea it's coming yet.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just finished it, thought it was very enjoyable, sucked me right in. I was expecting it to be exactly what it was though. This show is living in the zombie world that Rick slept through. Soon there will be anti walker airstrikes and complete chaos but that doesn't happen when 95% of society has no idea it's coming yet.

Did they ever say how long he was out? Weeks, months? I can't remember.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they ever say how long he was out? Weeks, months? I can't remember.

they never did but in the comic it was just weeks. I don't remember how many, it was not long. Every person is infected so every person who dies will turn, that will easily thin society and cause mass chaos at a rapid speed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that was pretty weak.

also, I think it's safe to say at this point that the writers of these shows believe that black people absolutely will not survive the zombie apocalypse! there were 3 featured in the pilot, the principal, the drug dealer and the boyfriend. The drug dealer is already dead, the boyfriend stopped answering texts and the principal probably ain't too far behind! from a story standpoint, killing the drug dealer seemed like a missed opportunity to create tension within the living if he ended up sticking around with the main family. Would have been interesting to see if he was still making deals when crap really goes down, bartering for survival/leading Nick down a bad path, putting him in conflict with the parents.

TWD has some very strong black characters and this one has had a lot of black ones already which should increase their survival rate but maybe not. I still dont see why people get up in arms over which race is being killed.

PS: I doubt they will have any trouble creating tension moving forward.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was an OK Pilot. Some of the writing was weak as were a few of the characters. I agree with cheesebeef that they missed an oppertunity with the drug dealer friend. I thought he was the most interesting character of the entire show last night.

I thought the first scene was pretty cheesy. A druggie waking up and limping around like a walker. Then "Oh surprise!" the world as we know it hasn't ended yet. I get what they were trying to do but we all knew he wasn't a walker and we all knew that the world hadn't ended.

I found the mom to be uninteresting. As was the dynamic between her and her new husband.

The daughter seemed like she may be a solid character.

I'm not sure about the stepdad yet but his situation with his own son may be interesting so I will have to wait and see how that plays out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought it was an OK Pilot. Some of the writing was weak as were a few of the characters. I agree with cheesebeef that they missed an oppertunity with the drug dealer friend. I thought he was the most interesting character of the entire show last night.

I thought the first scene was pretty cheesy. A druggie waking up and limping around like a walker. Then "Oh surprise!" the world as we know it hasn't ended yet. I get what they were trying to do but we all knew he wasn't a walker and we all knew that the world hadn't ended.

I found the mom to be uninteresting. As was the dynamic between her and her new husband.

I'm not sure about the stepdad yet but his situation with his own son may be interesting so I will have to wait and see how that plays out.

My biggest question is about
The Church. If there were dead bodies all over the place (at least 3 that were shown -- one guy with his throat torn out, the girl herself and the person the girl was eating -- then they all became zombies. Where did they go? I mean, wouldn't they still be in the church and then attempt to kill the mother and boyfriend when they were there? If they were in another part of the church, why didn't they make any noise? I'm guessing it was pretty quiet in there when the Travis was looking around. And if the walkers left the church into a world that hasn't been torn down, how can nobody see them?

Huge plot hole IMO.

The episode was tolerable, but nothing special.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dont think people thought he was a walker when he woke up, just that he was a junkie waking up after shooting up. That was very evident to me but :shrug:

I like the main man, the girlfriend/wife not really. You would think during the final scene she would show emotion but no, shes just staring at someone who has been run over 4 times, mangled and still alive looking up at her and her expression is no different than a woman waiting for a bus

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest question is about
The Church. If there were dead bodies all over the place (at least 3 that were shown -- one guy with his throat torn out, the girl herself and the person the girl was eating -- then they all became zombies. Where did they go? I mean, wouldn't they still be in the church and then attempt to kill the mother and boyfriend when they were there? If they were in another part of the church, why didn't they make any noise? I'm guessing it was pretty quiet in there when the Travis was looking around. And if the walkers left the church into a world that hasn't been torn down, how can nobody see them?

Huge plot hole IMO.

The episode was tolerable, but nothing special.

for your plot hole

I just assumed they are out of there, eating a neighbor or something. we do not know if "no one saw them". Maybe they were one of the ones on the overpass that was being shot

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
for your plot hole

I just assumed they are out of there, eating a neighbor or something. we do not know if "no one saw them". Maybe they were one of the ones on the overpass that was being shot

I just don't think they could have gotten very far if they did get out--and to have nobody in the neighborhood be in panic mode just made the plot hole that much more bigger.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think they could have gotten very far if they did get out--and to have nobody in the neighborhood be in panic mode just made the plot hole that much more bigger.

like I said, maybe they are in the neighbors house eating them. I wasnt that bothered by it. I did wonder where they went for a brief second but then rescinded that they simply left and are nearby somewhere. IMO not something big enough to complain about but to each their own. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave