Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I need to get back into the Walking Dead. I got around to mid 2nd season and just couldn't keep watching it as I would watch it late and get all tense. Not good when you want to try to fall asleep afterwards.

For some reason, Fear the Walking Dead looks so dang interesting. Love prequel shows/movies and will probably start watching this when it comes out Sunday.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So far it is a little slow, I guess being episode 1 it has to build up and do introductions but it is just sort of crawling along right now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So far it is a little slow, I guess being episode 1 it has to build up and do introductions but it is just sort of crawling along right now.

I gave it a shot because I really like the lead actress, but man, did it stink. The first ten minutes or so seemed intriguing, like it would lead somewhere, but they kept playing on the same tired theme with the one character for NINETY MINUTES. That got really old, really fast. Plus, why wouldn't somebody say,
Gee, maybe she was eating the face because she was on bath salts
? Too sensible to be left out.

Nope, I'm getting out early. And, unless it improves, or if the 'ooh, it's popular, I HAVE to like it' doesn't catch on, it won't make season 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave it a shot because I really like the lead actress, but man, did it stink. The first ten minutes or so seemed intriguing, like it would lead somewhere, but they kept playing on the same tired theme with the one character for NINETY MINUTES. That got really old, really fast. Plus, why wouldn't somebody say,

Nope, I'm getting out early. And, unless it improves, or if the 'ooh, it's popular, I HAVE to like it' doesn't catch on, it won't make season 2.

it was already renewed for Season 2.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Unless this show introduces likable characters I may give 'Z Nation' another try. Helicopter Mom, cool Step-Dad, bratty brainiac and Fear of the Walking Drug Addict aint working for me.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
It was good, looking forward to seeing how everything unfolds after it starts to get out of hand. What I hated was the constant "Lets stand behind this guy for 20 seconds and maybe he'll turn around and be a zombie... oh no he just wasn't paying attention to you" shots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was good, looking forward to seeing how everything unfolds after it starts to get out of hand. What I hated was the constant "Lets stand behind this guy for 20 seconds and maybe he'll turn around and be a zombie... oh no he just wasn't paying attention to you" shots.

that was pretty weak.

also, I think it's safe to say at this point that the writers of these shows believe that black people absolutely will not survive the zombie apocalypse! there were 3 featured in the pilot, the principal, the drug dealer and the boyfriend. The drug dealer is already dead, the boyfriend stopped answering texts and the principal probably ain't too far behind! from a story standpoint, killing the drug dealer seemed like a missed opportunity to create tension within the living if he ended up sticking around with the main family. Would have been interesting to see if he was still making deals when crap really goes down, bartering for survival/leading Nick down a bad path, putting him in conflict with the parents.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
that was pretty weak.

also, I think it's safe to say at this point that the writers of these shows believe that black people absolutely will not survive the zombie apocalypse! there were 3 featured in the pilot, the principal, the drug dealer and the boyfriend. The drug dealer is already dead, the boyfriend stopped answering texts and the principal probably ain't too far behind! from a story standpoint, killing the drug dealer seemed like a missed opportunity to create tension within the living if he ended up sticking around with the main family. Would have been interesting to see if he was still making deals when crap really goes down, bartering for survival/leading Nick down a bad path, putting him in conflict with the parents.

Man, that would have been awesome! You should be a writer!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

One giant flaw in the original walking dead is that they NEVER use the word, "ZOMBIE"

They're called walkers, biters etc... Give me a break. If this happened in real life EVERYBODY would call them Zombies.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring...boring....boring. I mean they nailed it with the first episode of The Walking Dead. I am not saying that within the context of this they needed to go all zombie ten minutes in. However, they didn't need to spend an entire episode setting things up.

This felt like the writers who wrote several episodes of Rick and company drudging through the woods were the primary writers of the pilot. This seriously needs to pick up the pace. Plus how many zombie fakes did we need? The music would get ominous only for there to be no zombie. I realize it was a ploy to build tension for a methodical episode but more than once? Meh.

Hopefully, the 2nd episode moves things along. I seriously hope the rest of this season won't be as plodding as the pilot. Was disappointed and agree with the above that I wasn't very into any of the characters they introduced so far. Maybe that's why this episode felt really really long.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't expect a pilot to hit the ground running on all cylinders. If it's still this slow in a few episodes, I'll reconsider watching. But I'm fine for now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring...boring....boring. I mean they nailed it with the first episode of The Walking Dead. I am not saying that within the context of this they needed to go all zombie ten minutes in. However, they didn't need to spend an entire episode setting things up.

This felt like the writers who wrote several episodes of Rick and company drudging through the woods were the primary writers of the pilot. This seriously needs to pick up the pace. Plus how many zombie fakes did we need? The music would get ominous only for there to be no zombie. I realize it was a ploy to build tension for a methodical episode but more than once? Meh.

Hopefully, the 2nd episode moves things along. I seriously hope the rest of this season won't be as plodding as the pilot. Was disappointed and agree with the above that I wasn't very into any of the characters they introduced so far. Maybe that's why this episode felt really really long.

I think it also felt long because... it was. They didn't really need an hour and half to tell that story. I get the point of Cliff Curtis' character to go check out the church, but did they really need that entire second beat where the Mom goes as well... especially because in the next scene with the kid, she STILL didn't believe what he was saying and only did once she saw the drug dealing zombie for herself? if they were going to go for a super-sized premiere, there needed to be a little more juice in the story, broaden the scope a little bit, IMO. I know that they consciously veered away from that to keep the story limited to the family, but in doing so, they seemed to be repeating beats.

I'll keep watching... i think the show has promise. It's got two GREAT lead actors and watching the destruction of society should be rich with conflict.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, I was really looking forward to this, but you guys are giving me pause.

I guess there is still time for them to hire Cheesebeef and spice this thing up a bit.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One giant flaw in the original walking dead is that they NEVER use the word, "ZOMBIE"

They're called walkers, biters etc... Give me a break. If this happened in real life EVERYBODY would call them Zombies.

"Zombies" as a thing don't exist in the Walking Dead world...or everyone would know to shoot them in the head, etc. It's part of the mythos of the series.

Ya'll should listen to some Cracked Podcasts...they have some ridiculous content on things like this and everything else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Except, by definition, the entire series is a set up.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I won't give up on it just on the pilot. They need to build the characters, let you know who they are. If I gave up on the first show of every tv show, I would have missed out on alot.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kinda bored by the pilot - too long for what happened. I am looking forward to the destruction of society (not in real life, but the timeframe missed by the original series) and how that unfolds.

Action should pick up in upcoming weeks.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't give up on it just on the pilot. They need to build the characters, let you know who they are. If I gave up on the first show of every tv show, I would have missed out on alot.

Agree. If it doesn't work out, no big deal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Except the pilot is meant to hook you. If it's long and boring, it's doing a really crappy job of it. Aside from the first 10-15 minutes--which started well--it unraveled into repetitive plot points. In the pilot. It beat a dead horse already. In the pilot. This is the first half of season 2 of the Walking Dead, IMO. Boring. Since its the same writers, I don't have faith that they'll do better.

Pilot = hook. A weak hook doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except the pilot is meant to hook you. If it's long and boring, it's doing a really crappy job of it. Aside from the first 10-15 minutes--which started well--it unraveled into repetitive plot points. In the pilot. It beat a dead horse already. In the pilot. This is the first half of season 2. Since its the same writers, I don't have faith that they'll do better.

Pilot = hook. A weak hook doesn't work for me.

Never change, Stout. :D