Father time vs LeBron

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's the unpopular opinion at all. With Rich Paul as both of their reps though I can't see it happening. I could see Lebron sulking so much that he would be willing to sit out an entire year than play in New Orleans.

I wonder if he'll ask for a trade. Boston, if they fail to land Lebron? You know Ainge would do it.

I'm assuming you just slipped and said "fail to land Lebron" instead of Davis? If so, I disagree. Ainge has been squeaky tight with his assets. I don't think he's going to give them away for a player that is clearly on the downhill slide and who will turn any team he goes to into "the Lebron show". I suspect he'd also have to part ways with Brad Stephens if he did trade for James.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm assuming you just slipped and said "fail to land Lebron" instead of Davis? If so, I disagree. Ainge has been squeaky tight with his assets. I don't think he's going to give them away for a player that is clearly on the downhill slide and who will turn any team he goes to into "the Lebron show". I suspect he'd also have to part ways with Brad Stephens if he did trade for James.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going to ask what GM would want to deal with Lebron and Paul and Ainge is one of the few I think that would. He may not want to deal with them, I doubt anyone does, but bringing in Lebron in might be worth the payoff for them. I don't know how much they'd need to trade but Ainge always seems to trade a pocket full of nickels for dollar bills. If the deal is made by Ainge I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow traded Marcus Smart and Marcus Morris plus a pick for Lebron.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
The epitaph of LABron James, as read by Bryan Cranston:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes, of course I'm having fun with this. He makes more cashish in one game than I make in, I dunno, a whole year. But because it's the Lakers... :D

(FWIW, the poem is Ozymandias by Percy Shelley).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's hilarious.

By the way, it seems to me the Lakers care too much about marketing to trade James. I don't think they do it. It would be awesome though. Can you imagine the circus if the Lakers give up on him this soon and trade him away.

I would love to see it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would they trade him to? The Pelicans don't want him. Denver?

That would be interesting. How weird it must be for him. Seriously, every single time the guy has moved he has almost single handed turned the team around almost immediately.

He goes to the Lakers and it's splat.

I have to admit, I am enjoying this way too much. I have not enjoyed the Lakers struggles this much since 2004 when they tried to build a super team and it imploded.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That would be interesting. How weird it must be for him. Seriously, every single time the guy has moved he has almost single handed turned the team around almost immediately.

He goes to the Lakers and it's splat.
It’s also called the Western Conference effect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion alert: If I’m Magic Johnson, instead of trading a ton of young talent for the Brow, he should trade LeBron for the Brow and another player.

I can't see the Pelicans wanting Lebron. I think they would want young assets in return for AD.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who would they trade him to? The Pelicans don't want him. Denver?

Toronto, if Kawhi doesn't re-sign? Wouldn't it be nuts if it were a Kawhi sign-and-trade? Can't believe it's come to this but I think it would be a desperation move, more so than trading for Kawhi. Without Leonard involced it's an awful lot of money to move. Gasol has a player option and makes 25m next year. Ibaka is expiring next year and makes 23m.

I should float this to my Raptors friends.:devil:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone see hezonja block old man lebron’s game winning attempt? Lebron couldn’t get off the ground. Knicks sweep the L.A. Lebrons. Awesome.

They gave HeWhatever all the credit, real credit goes to Jordan for pushing him towards Lebron

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

LeBron’s impact on sports goes beyond just the NBA.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god his show “The Shop” is unwatchable. It’s a bunch of rich dudes sitting around drinking wine kissing each other’s asses.

Round table shows like the sports reporters work because there’s debate point and counter point. But there is none of that.

When OBJ is bitching about not having any privacy how come no one jumped in and was like well bro you kind of do that to yourself maybe you should scale it back a little, but no. Just annoying

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god his show “The Shop” is unwatchable. It’s a bunch of rich dudes sitting around drinking wine kissing each other’s asses.

Round table shows like the sports reporters work because there’s debate point and counter point. But there is none of that.

When OBJ is bitching about not having any privacy how come no one jumped in and was like well bro you kind of do that to yourself maybe you should scale it back a little, but no. Just annoying

I think it was the first episode of that where Lebron tried explaining how he became the GOAT when the Cavs came back from the 3-1 deficit to beat the Warriors. No one brought up how he'd lost the next 2 finals to them, or even the next finals because I'm not 100% sure if it was taped before or after the 2nd failed trip. Whether it was before or after, the Cavs struggled so much in that final year he was there for him to talk about how he's now the GOAT and has surpassed Jordan was so cringeworthy that it wasn't even funny. Everyone on the panel or roundtable with him just nodded and agreed to any statements that were made. There was no debate of anything, it was a circle jerk for 60 minutes. I thought it would go away after the first episode but I've been hearing about it a little more lately and I don't see how anyone would enjoy watching that. Even a Lebron fan would have to see how ridiculous that is.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He used to be my favorite player back before he went to Miami. After that "decision" he just rapidly fell off for me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He used to be my favorite player back before he went to Miami. After that "decision" he just rapidly fell off for me.

I started disliking him when he left Cleveland the first time.

He redeemed himself when he returned.

But his demeanor with the Lakers is teaching me he is a grade A douche rocket. This move was never a basketball move. It's all about Lebron. If I didn't hate the Lakers so much, I would feel sorry for them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was the first episode of that where Lebron tried explaining how he became the GOAT when the Cavs came back from the 3-1 deficit to beat the Warriors. No one brought up how he'd lost the next 2 finals to them, or even the next finals because I'm not 100% sure if it was taped before or after the 2nd failed trip. Whether it was before or after, the Cavs struggled so much in that final year he was there for him to talk about how he's now the GOAT and has surpassed Jordan was so cringeworthy that it wasn't even funny. Everyone on the panel or roundtable with him just nodded and agreed to any statements that were made. There was no debate of anything, it was a circle jerk for 60 minutes. I thought it would go away after the first episode but I've been hearing about it a little more lately and I don't see how anyone would enjoy watching that. Even a Lebron fan would have to see how ridiculous that is.

All time is hard to say but that IMO was the single biggest 3 game performance "in the clutch" in my lifetime.

41 16 and 7 assists in game 5, 41 8 and 11 assists in game 6 both double digit wins, then 27 11 11 in 47 minutes in game 7 in a 4 point win. He had one of the single best defensive plays in finals history with the chase down block of Iggy.

I think it's wrong for him to say that made him the GOAT, but he absolutely carried the Cavs in that series. If not for that the Warriors would have 4 in a row, although we can argue if not for that they may not have gotten Durant.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But his demeanor with the Lakers is teaching me he is a grade A douche rocket. This move was never a basketball move. It's all about Lebron. If I didn't hate the Lakers so much, I would feel sorry for them.

I think it was largely for both money and to set up his family. He wanted Bronny on a big stage. I think his ultimate plan was to last long enough to play with Bronny in the NBA. It's not clear if that's going to happen but I think he really wanted the family in LA. There's been rumors for awhile they want to do a reality show with him. FB had Ball in the family, there's a kid playing at Sierra Canyon whose mom is on some minor cable channel reality show about moms of "ballers", but LeBron and Bronny that would be a bigger stage.

He handled the whole Davis thing terribly, publicly leaking out all those trade rumors made it clear everyone else on the team was just a pawn in his chess game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I liked LeBron till he got Blatt fired. I know they won a title with Lue but in no part due to Lue’s spectacular coaching.

At this point, LeBron is much more of a celebrity than he is an athlete.

And all the great stats he’s putting up with the Lakers is the perfect definition of “empty stats”.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumors were out earlier today about Doc Rivers possibly leaving the Clippers to take over the Lakers head coaching job this summer, when they release Walton. Doc came out and squashed that before the Clippers played tonight and said that's not happening. Word is one of the reasons Doc doesn't want to take the job is Lebron. Specifically he's heard that Lebron does not want to be coached.

Lebron has never had a real coach for very long in the NBA. He got David Blatt fired after a year in Cleveland. In his first Cavs run he only had 1 coach fired, 2 if you count Mike Brown but he was leaving anyways. In Miami I remember constant rumors about when Riley would take over for Spoelstra but that never happened. Perhaps Lebron's issues with coaches was clear to Riley then. I know Riley has it made in Miami but I could see their owner siding with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh if they came to him and said to fire Riley, if there was issues, and Lebron would have had a mess to deal with in the media if he couldn't win titles with Riley and/or he got him fired. Riley is smart though, he wouldn't have taken the job as coach if he thought that might happen so he left Spoelstra in charge. Lebron's aversion to hands on coaching could be why Riley didn't take over though. Riley did a few years prior when the Heat traded for Shaq when Stan Van Gundy was coaching the Heat. He did that the year they beat the Mavericks in the finals, taking over after 21 games that season.

Here's an article about Doc coaching the Lakers and the Lebron doesn't want a coach stuff.

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Doc-Rivers-Lakers-LeBron-rumor-130329744/

I decided to look up Lebron's history with coaches though and other than his second run in Cleveland there really isn't anything that bad but it does start off a bit questionable with how Paul Silas was fired early on.

In his first year he had Paul Silas as his head coach. In his 2nd year Silas was fired and Brendan Malone took over in the interim. Silas was 34-30 and the Cavs were 5th in the East when he was fired for a reported feud with Eric Snow. What makes that a little odd is Silas was hired to mentor Lebron, brought in his rookie year, but ESPN ran an article when he was fired saying that Lebron sensed it was coming. The last game Silas coached, Lebron played in all 48 minutes and scored 56 points in a loss to Toronto. Mike Brown took over as coach of the Cavs the next season and was their coach until Lebron left, having coached 5 years in Cleveland. The Cavs were
272-138 in that stretch, making the playoffs each year and having a 61-21 record in Lebron's final season. Brown was fired before "The Decision" also, after the Cavs lost in the 2nd round to the Celtics in 2010. Brown was fired 10 days after the Cavs were eliminated, so it wasn't immediate either.

I do find that ESPN piece a little odd, combined with how Lebron went off in Silas' last game as coach. I'm not sure if there is more to that or not but everyone knows Lebron was behind getting Blatt unceremoniously fired as the Cavs coach in Blatt's second season, Lebron's second year back also. Of course Ty Lue couldn't make it 1 full season without Lebron either, as if anyone thought he was a reason for the Cavs "success" the last 3 years he was coach though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, his return to Cleveland was about legacy and I respect him for it, I also don't blame him for leaving Cleveland either time, because their ownership is Sarver level awful.

However, going to that mess in LA was about nothing more than bright lights, nothing more. He is getting what he deserved. If he wanted to win he could have won another 2 or 3 titles in Philly (although it would have made me gag), but this LA excursion is a disaster that I am really enjoying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson