Expectations for Ayton's Rookie year

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the over is easy money to me.

It absolutely seems that way to me too but it wouldn't be the first time in recent years when I felt that way going into the season only to watch us lose 60 games or thereabouts.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It absolutely seems that way to me too but it wouldn't be the first time in recent years when I felt that way going into the season only to watch us lose 60 games or thereabouts.
Very true. I do think I'll put down at least a Benjamin on it though if I get the chance.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't think the odds change much... I think we're better off without BK on the premisies but they may not think so. We're probably better off with Anderson tilling in the PF slot than with Chriss and they probably believe that. I'm hoping Holmes earns some time - energy and some D - at PF. Melton, as another rookie PG, doesn't move the needle. But it's sort of a silly trade so our FO looks weak, making the change very close to zero.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
yea, but there could be attitude issues we don't know about. Otherwise seems like a waste of time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker making entry passes. Imagine Ayton receiving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the odds change much... I think we're better off without BK on the premisies but they may not think so. We're probably better off with Anderson tilling in the PF slot than with Chriss and they probably believe that. I'm hoping Holmes earns some time - energy and some D - at PF. Melton, as another rookie PG, doesn't move the needle. But it's sort of a silly trade so our FO looks weak, making the change very close to zero.

In regard to Melton, I'd rather have his rights than a future second round pick providing the Suns have plans for him. The way the Suns roster is looking, I'm hoping they keep four point guards.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Recently we had the Houston trade, signing of Ariza, etc. Kinda got us off topic in this thread especially about Ayton. Really am getting excited to see how over the whole season how he develops. To me its the journey. Of course we all would want him to be a monster right from the get go, but I am wanting to see the evolution over the season. That will be one of the beest things about this upcoming season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year he was the most dominant freshman big I've personally witnessed.

I'm excited for that first "wow!" performance he gives us. I think he's going to have some serious ups and downs early but I don't think it will take too long for him to put up his first night of absolute dominance, something like a 30-20 game, a game that will have the whole Suns community agape.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I'm excited for that first "wow!" performance he gives us. I think he's going to have some serious ups and downs early but I don't think it will take too long for him to put up his first night of absolute dominance, something like a 30-20 game, a game that will have the whole Suns community agape.
That would be huge. Amare obviously was our last big that really dropped those kind of numbers. Barkley was just sick. Especially in the playoffs with games like:

1. In Game 3 of the Warriors vs. Suns first-round matchup, Barkley shredded Golden State with 56 points. His offensive efficiency (23-of-31 from the field) was a sight to behold. He rounded out his stat line with 14 rebounds, four assists, three steals and a block in 41 minutes of work.
People forget just what a freak this guy was. Then against Seattle:

1. He butchered Seattle's defense with a triple-double in a Game 5 Suns win (43 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists), but the Sonics answered in Game 6, holding Barkley to just 13 points.

That set the biggest stage for Barkley's NBA career to date, and the little big man made the most of the moment. He scored 44 points (on 60 percent shooting) and corralled 24 rebounds (including 10 offensive boards) in the Suns' decisive 123-110 series-clinching win.
I mean this is playoffs! Not regular season, when he could drop games like that.

Who knows? This kid could turn out to be anything. That's gonna be fun to watch!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

something like that Amare rookie season game where he went nuts on KG. It's gonna happen. Just a matter of if he has that natural drive Amare did pre-micro where he just got exponentially better every season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barkley was a wrecking ball. It's the only way I can describe him, the dude out worked and out muscled everyone and also was tremendously skilled for a big (even though he wasn't actually all that tall).

Ayton is probably going to be considerably stronger in 2-3 years than he is now... and I think he's going to bully a lot of people this season. With his crazy mix of size, agility, strength and ridiculous skills for a guy his age, the only thing that could keep him from being a superstar is his own drive to dominate on a nightly basis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
something like that Amare rookie season game where he went nuts on KG. It's gonna happen. Just a matter of if he has that natural drive Amare did pre-micro where he just got exponentially better every season.

Absolutely. I think Ayton could cruise and still be a really good player but inconsistent, the kind of guy who oft plays down to his competition.

But, if he's driven to expand his game and begins to take joy crushing teams... then the sky is the limit.

I'm pretty happy that he's gotten in this tit for tat with Embiid. Go ahead kid, stir the pot, make it so that if anything else, you don't want to look foolish after talking smack!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be huge. Amare obviously was our last big that really dropped those kind of numbers.

honestly, if he ends up anything like Amare pre-knee/pre-DA we're going to be thanking our lucky stars.

Just watch that from his rookie season... there was a talent AND attitude RIGHT off the bat from Amare. The natural talent and drive was so high with that kid. He ws averaging I think 9 rebounds per his original year... and never got higher and I think that's because of DA. Yes, he grew to be a DOMINANT offensive player under DA, but you could see in his first year that was going to happen. Dude moved unlike any 6'9 PF in the league and it was only a matter of time before he dominated offensively... which he did. But he NEVER learned how to play D because DA didn't give a flying frack about it. But he had that NASTY inside of him from day 1.

I don't know if Ayton has that nasty in him. I think he's got more tools/size, but still not sure he has that dog that Amare did.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
honestly, if he ends up anything like Amare pre-knee/pre-DA we're going to be thanking our lucky stars.

Just watch that from his rookie season... there was a talent AND attitude RIGHT off the bat from Amare. The natural talent and drive was so high with that kid. He ws averaging I think 9 rebounds per his original year... and never got higher and I think that's because of DA. Yes, he grew to be a DOMINANT offensive player under DA, but you could see in his first year that was going to happen. Dude moved unlike any 6'9 PF in the league and it was only a matter of time before he dominated offensively... which he did. But he NEVER learned how to play D because DA didn't give a flying frack about it. But he had that NASTY inside of him from day 1.

I don't know if Ayton has that nasty in him. I think he's got more tools/size, but still not sure he has that dog that Amare did.

His series against the Spurs in 04/05, it was his peak. Only foul trouble could slow him down, they had no answer. Sadly, the Suns also had no answer for injuries and Mike D'Antoni's 6.5 man rotation he used after Joe Johnson went down.

I was living with a buddy from LA at the time, a huge Laker fan. He was despondent. Shaq had just been forced out by Kobe, Phil Jackson had just written a book that included portions about how Kobe is a turd and the Suns appeared to have a guy who might become an all-time monster.

Good times.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Barkley was a wrecking ball. It's the only way I can describe him, the dude out worked and out muscled everyone and also was tremendously skilled for a big (even though he wasn't actually all that tall).

Ayton is probably going to be considerably stronger in 2-3 years than he is now... and I think he's going to bully a lot of people this season. With his crazy mix of size, agility, strength and ridiculous skills for a guy his age, the only thing that could keep him from being a superstar is his own drive to dominate on a nightly basis.

Barkley was incomparable. A 6'4 1/2" power forward but they called him The Round Mound of Rebound. Strong. But agile as well.

I used to love to watch the Chuckster guard a big when he was backing into him going for the foul. Then Charles would take a giant step back, the big would lean into where he thought Charles was and fall on his butt. Priceless!

Ayton will, of course, be a different type of player, at a different position but, yup, with size, agility, strength and skills. Hopefully, though, not needing to make outrageous comments to get attention. Hopefully, Ayton in a few years won't refer to Booker as "Franchise, Jr." as Chuck felt compelled to do with KJ. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Barkley was incomparable. A 6'4 1/2" power forward but they called him The Round Mound of Rebound. Strong. But agile as well.

I used to love to watch the Chuckster guard a big when he was backing into him going for the foul. Then Charles would take a giant step back, the big would lean into where he thought Charles was and fall on his butt. Priceless!

Ayton will, of course, be a different type of player, at a different position but, yup, with size, agility, strength and skills. Hopefully, though, not needing to make outrageous comments to get attention. Hopefully, Ayton in a few years won't refer to Booker as "Franchise, Jr." as Chuck felt compelled to do with KJ. :)

He was 6'7ish, but yeah not prototype.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was 6'7ish, but yeah not prototype.

Nah, he was about 6-4 and change. I was in my sophomore year when he filmed the Nike commercial at the old gym at North High and he was only a couple inches taller than I was at that time, and visibly shorter than Casey Frank, who ended up around 6-8.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
a while to transition and fit in and find his spots

and occassional dominant games towards the end of the season

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nah, he was about 6-4 and change. I was in my sophomore year when he filmed the Nike commercial at the old gym at North High and he was only a couple inches taller than I was at that time, and visibly shorter than Casey Frank, who ended up around 6-8.
You're right. Chuck was officially listed as 6'6", but it was reported over and over through the years that he measured 6'4 1/2. Perhaps part of it was the old question. In sneakers or socks? I never heard that discussed.

But then, what does it matter? The Chuckster had a solid bulk and accomplished a lot at the only position he could play, Power Forward. And, despite being a character, he possessed a high basketball IQ, which helped his scoring and rebounding.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Chuck was officially listed as 6'6", but it was reported over and over through the years that he measured 6'4 1/2. Perhaps part of it was the old question. In sneakers or socks? I never heard that discussed.

But then, what does it matter? The Chuckster had a solid bulk and accomplished a lot at the only position he could play, Power Forward. And, despite being a character, he possessed a high basketball IQ, which helped his scoring and rebounding.

Barkley got butt.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Barkley got butt.
LOL. I was trying to be kind. Of course he was called the Round Mound of Rebound.

It was a little like Wes Unseld playing Center for the Baltimore/Washington Bullets at 6'7" 245, but then he had the Big E at Power Forward at 6'9" 235 to share the load, which led to their Championship.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
LOL. I was trying to be kind. Of course he was called the Round Mound of Rebound.

It was a little like Wes Unseld playing Center for the Baltimore/Washington Bullets at 6'7" 245, but then he had the Big E at Power Forward at 6'9" 235 to share the load, which led to their Championship.
Unseld was incredibly strong. He used to set up under the basket at one end of the court, so you cannot arc the ball. He would then two handed over his head pass the ball flat footed in a line drive off the backboard on the other end of the court. He was wicked strong, squat, and immovable.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach