Expectations for Ayton's Rookie year

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That makes Barkley 6'8ish. Police mugshots are done with shoes off.
Most are done with shoes on. Arrestees often complain about having to walk around in shoes with no laces.

That would make Barkley 6-6 or so.

However, I would not have put it past Barkley to go up on tip toes for this picture.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barkley says he was a 6'4 power forward in this video, it's recorded from someone's TV though so the quality is not that good. Skip to 30 seconds and he discusses it a bit. Then he continues on saying again he was 6'4 and then he says "Wait a minute, what was I listed at? 6'6" and then Reggie Miller laughs at him for being so 'honest'.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's another video that's only 23 seconds in total with Danny Ainge saying that he and Barkley were the same height, 6'4 1/2".

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not sure of the source of the photo Krang posted, but it was eventually universally accepted that Barkley was considerably shorter than the height he was listed at Auburn (which I do recall as being about 6-8) and the first part of his NBA career.

Later official NBA player profiles tended to list him at the closer-to-accurate 6-6. But by the end of his career, most unofficial sources identified him as being around 6-4, probably as a result of his "honesty" that was cited above. I even heard some sources mention he was as short as 6-3, although that could be apocryphal.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Unseld was incredibly strong. He used to set up under the basket at one end of the court, so you cannot arc the ball. He would then two handed over his head pass the ball flat footed in a line drive off the backboard on the other end of the court. He was wicked strong, squat, and immovable.

Unseld was built like a vending machine, yet was pretty agile for his size. He was well known in his time for setting the most effective - and intimidating - picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Penny was supposedly 6'7'... so that looks about right for Barkley being between 6'4" and 6'5". Although, Penny does seem to have better posture in that shot.

I bet Chuck's wingspan was like 6'10" or longer though. That guy looked like an albatross when he spread his arms.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He loved giving different heights but most of the real measurements without shoes had him somewhere between 6 4.75 and 6-5. If I had to bet money that’s what I would guess.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way on gods green earth was Barkley 6'8. Malone was 6'8/6'9 and he's towering over Barkley

Barkley was 6'4/5 that's what made him a freak of nature

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way on gods green earth was Barkley 6'8. Malone was 6'8/6'9 and he's towering over Barkley

Barkley was 6'4/5 that's what made him a freak of nature
The picture is tipped a little the right. Look at where their heels hit the floor. Penny was 6-7. To me that makes Chuck 6-5 barefoot and roughly 6-6 in shoes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook has another surgery on his right knee. For those keeping score that is surgery #3 since that idiot Patrick Beverly decided to take him out.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You know, Robinson came into the league at 24, and his rookie stats are not that much better than Ayton's.

Robinson:
24.3 ppg
53% FC
15.9 attempts
12 Rebounds
2 assists
3.9 blocks
36.6 minutes

Ayton so far:
17.5 ppg
64% FG
12.2 attempts
10.3 rebounds
3.8 Assists
0.7 blocks
31.2 minutes

Now Robinson was a monster on defense from day 1, but he was also four years older than Ayton.

Ewing, at the age of 23,for example:
20 ppg
47% FG
16.3 attempts
9 Rebounds
2 assists
2.1 blocks
35.4 minutes

Amare was not even close to Ayton in his rookie year. This kid is going to be crazy good.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You know, Robinson came into the league at 24, and his rookie stats are not that much better than Ayton's.

Robinson:
24.3 ppg
53% FC
15.9 attempts
12 Rebounds
2 assists
3.9 blocks
36.6 minutes

Ayton so far:
17.5 ppg
64% FG
12.2 attempts
10.3 rebounds
3.8 Assists
0.7 blocks
31.2 minutes

Now Robinson was a monster on defense from day 1, but he was also four years older than Ayton.

Ewing, at the age of 23,for example:
20 ppg
47% FG
16.3 attempts
9 Rebounds
2 assists
2.1 blocks
35.4 minutes

Amare was not even close to Ayton in his rookie year. This kid is going to be crazy good.

The Spurs also reconstructed their entire roster the first year Robinson came in the league and won 56 games... They added Terry Cummings, Mo Cheeks, Rod Strickland, Sean Elliott and David Robinson in one offseason. That’s insane.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this so everyone can easily look at their own expectations, and those of others. Ayton is exceeding the 15 & 9 that I predicted. I'd like to see him fed more but I'm ok with how he's being used as far as minutes go. I thought he might average between 28 and 32 at the most this year but he'd start under 30 for a while. He's shooting better than I though, even though I didn't predict that. What's surprising to me is how he's exceeding the numbers some have posted but some of those people have been very critical of him. I have been critical of some aspects also but I thought bumping the predictions might give us a chance to look at things a little differently.

When McD got canned it sort changed the tone for the beginning of the year and rather than enjoying the rookies we're asking too many questions about what sort of team we're supposed to be. Ayton is doing his part, in terms of stats though. I saw the the Suns facebook page mention that Ayton is only the 4th player to put up 300 points and grab 200 rebounds in his first 20 games since 1992. Shaq was the first, Duncan the second, and Blake Griffin the 3rd. I'll post their numbers through their first 20 games for comparison.

Blake averaged 20.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.6 blocks, and 0.7 steals in 36 minutes a game. He shot 52.3% from the field and 58.2% from the FT line. Blake had 13 double doubles and the Clippers had a 4-16 record.

Duncan averaged 15.7 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.4 blocks, and 0.7 steals in 36.3 minutes a game. He shot 55.4% from the field and 51.1% from the FT line. The Spurs were 10-10 and Duncan had 10 double doubles.

Shaq averaged 21.9 ppg, 14.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 4.1 blocks, and 0.9 steals in 36.9 minutes a game. He shot 52.7% from the field and 55.5% from the FT line. Shaq had 17 double doubles with Orlando having an 11-9 record.

Throughout Ayton's first 20 games he's averaging 17 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.8 blocks, and 0.6 steals in 32.2 minutes a game. He's shot 62.1% from the field and 77.8 from the FT line. The Suns went 4-16 and Ayton had 12 double doubles. He played the least amount of minutes of the 4, averaged the 3rd most points, 4th in rebounds, tied for 1st in assists, 3rd in blocks, and 4th in steals. He's also shooting considerable better from the field and free throw line than any of them.

That's a good stat line, except for the blocks. He's also not fouling a lot either, with just 2.9 a game. Blake averaged 3.0 fouls, Duncan 3.2, and Shaq 4.0. He should reach a little more to block shots since he's not fouling a lot. If he gets in foul trouble doing it then he can revert to what he's doing now but I think he'd be ok.

For comparison also, Ayton was 20 years and 86 days old when the season started. Blake was 21 years and 225 days old. Duncan was 21 years and 189 days old. Shaq was 20 years and 245 days old. That makes Ayton the youngest of the 4 also. Both Shaq & Duncan played 4 years in college. Blake Griffin played 2 year in college and then sat out his entire first year but spent it with the Clippers. Ayton has a lot less experience but seems to be a bit more efficient. I thought that was interesting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this so everyone can easily look at their own expectations, and those of others. Ayton is exceeding the 15 & 9 that I predicted. I'd like to see him fed more but I'm ok with how he's being used as far as minutes go. I thought he might average between 28 and 32 at the most this year but he'd start under 30 for a while. He's shooting better than I though, even though I didn't predict that. What's surprising to me is how he's exceeding the numbers some have posted but some of those people have been very critical of him. I have been critical of some aspects also but I thought bumping the predictions might give us a chance to look at things a little differently.

When McD got canned it sort changed the tone for the beginning of the year and rather than enjoying the rookies we're asking too many questions about what sort of team we're supposed to be. Ayton is doing his part, in terms of stats though. I saw the the Suns facebook page mention that Ayton is only the 4th player to put up 300 points and grab 200 rebounds in his first 20 games since 1992. Shaq was the first, Duncan the second, and Blake Griffin the 3rd. I'll post their numbers through their first 20 games for comparison.

Blake averaged 20.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.6 blocks, and 0.7 steals in 36 minutes a game. He shot 52.3% from the field and 58.2% from the FT line. Blake had 13 double doubles and the Clippers had a 4-16 record.

Duncan averaged 15.7 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.4 blocks, and 0.7 steals in 36.3 minutes a game. He shot 55.4% from the field and 51.1% from the FT line. The Spurs were 10-10 and Duncan had 10 double doubles.

Shaq averaged 21.9 ppg, 14.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 4.1 blocks, and 0.9 steals in 36.9 minutes a game. He shot 52.7% from the field and 55.5% from the FT line. Shaq had 17 double doubles with Orlando having an 11-9 record.

Throughout Ayton's first 20 games he's averaging 17 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.8 blocks, and 0.6 steals in 32.2 minutes a game. He's shot 62.1% from the field and 77.8 from the FT line. The Suns went 4-16 and Ayton had 12 double doubles. He played the least amount of minutes of the 4, averaged the 3rd most points, 4th in rebounds, tied for 1st in assists, 3rd in blocks, and 4th in steals. He's also shooting considerable better from the field and free throw line than any of them.

That's a good stat line, except for the blocks. He's also not fouling a lot either, with just 2.9 a game. Blake averaged 3.0 fouls, Duncan 3.2, and Shaq 4.0. He should reach a little more to block shots since he's not fouling a lot. If he gets in foul trouble doing it then he can revert to what he's doing now but I think he'd be ok.

For comparison also, Ayton was 20 years and 86 days old when the season started. Blake was 21 years and 225 days old. Duncan was 21 years and 189 days old. Shaq was 20 years and 245 days old. That makes Ayton the youngest of the 4 also. Both Shaq & Duncan played 4 years in college. Blake Griffin played 2 year in college and then sat out his entire first year but spent it with the Clippers. Ayton has a lot less experience but seems to be a bit more efficient. I thought that was interesting.

Good work.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Shaq spent 3 years in college.

Duncan spent 4 years in college.

Griffin spent 2 years in college and sat out his rookie season..

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly, I have not watched a full Suns (NBA) game since the Spurs-Suns series and Amare's suspension. I was that upset about it. The last game I went to was a playoff game versus the Lakers the season before Marion left. Once Nash was traded (and it was a good trade) I stopped even checking the scores or turning in for a quarter or two.

Ayton has me excited for the Suns. I'm listening to some games on the radio, I've watched a few quarters here and there. I like Booker. Even in these bad losses, there are flashes of hope that I'm seeing on the court. I'm starting to believe that we are a point guard and some maturity away from being pretty good and having a high ceiling on top of it.

I hope we can get Josh Jackson's head right. I hope we can get a point guard, and I hope this draft class pans out as it has started. But most importantly, I have hope again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson