Expectations for Ayton's Rookie year

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And he is a 19 year old rookie. Still a teenager.
You know I'm one of the few that was on the Luka bandwagon before the draft, but I do think he is closer to his ceiling than most 19 year olds. He has been playing basketball at a high level for a long time and it shows with the level of polish his game has already. He will obviously still improve in certain areas, but I believe his lack of athleticism will put a cap on just how much better he will get.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, I can’t agree with that. I just watched him singlehandedly manufacture a comeback and win over the Rockets. Hitting a 3 followed by a couple step back 3s and a drive to the hoop with Tucker draped all over him. No doubt in my mind he’s special.

I watched it too, and I agree it was special.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His per-36 numbers are very similar than they were in Euroleague. The assist numbers are down but the 3pt shooting numbers are way up. I didn’t expect 39% on 6+ attempts per game.
I think he will get craftier but I agree that he’s likely got a ceiling due to athleticism. But that said I think that ceiling is still incredibly high. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t lead the Mavs to a lot of playoff wins.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You know I'm one of the few that was on the Luka bandwagon before the draft, but I do think he is closer to his ceiling than most 19 year olds. He has been playing basketball at a high level for a long time and it shows with the level of polish his game has already. He will obviously still improve in certain areas, but I believe his lack of athleticism will put a cap on just how much better he will get.

Same can be said about a lot of players, Booker being one example.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Of course that can be said about Booker. He absolutely has limits because of athleticism, but he is more athletic than Doncic.

Booker is smaller, so he should be a little quicker. Outside of an inch or two height difference and 20-ish lb (10 of which is fat), those two are the same player. Perhaps I should say they will be the same player at the same age (19 year-old Doncic vs. a 19 year-old Booker, etc)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker is smaller, so he should be a little quicker. Outside of an inch or two height difference and 20-ish lb (10 of which is fat), those two are the same player. Perhaps I should say they will be the same player at the same age (19 year-old Doncic vs. a 19 year-old Booker, etc)
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely believe Doncic still has a good amount of improvement left. I just don't think he will ever be a top 5 player for instance. I don't think Booker will either, but I do think Ayton has some chance of being that good eventually. His offense will develop just fine, but if his defense develops as well he could definitely make into that conversation.

Ultimately I just think it is so early to be questioning the decision of who we drafted. Not that you are one of the people questioning it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely believe Doncic still has a good amount of improvement left. I just don't think he will ever be a top 5 player for instance. I don't think Booker will either, but I do think Ayton has some chance of being that good eventually. His offense will develop just fine, but if his defense develops as well he could definitely make into that conversation.

Ultimately I just think it is so early to be questioning the decision of who we drafted. Not that you are one of the people questioning it.

Agreed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m not sure there’s anyone on this board that is actively questioning it. At least not the most active posters.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s anyone on this board that is actively questioning it. At least not the most active posters.

And I think it will be like that for the duration of their careers. Suns fans are gonna be happy with Ayton, Mavs fans will be happy with Doncic.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see being upset with Bagley but I'm not sure if he's being held back, is actually hurt, or just isn't ready for playing time. This reminds me a little of the Webber/Penny draft with them going 1 and 3 and 2 being Shawn Bradley. Ayton is Webber, fine player but not quite "The Man". Doncic is Penny and if he can stay healthy he's got great size, court vision, and the right thought process to be a star. Bagley is Shawn Bradley so far. He was drafted for size and hasn't done much of anything yet.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I heard on Bickley & Marotta that Ayton said he had stomach issues b/c he forgot to eat lunch after practice? Is this an 8-year old trapped in a grown man’s body? This is becoming Dwight Howard all over again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see being upset with Bagley but I'm not sure if he's being held back, is actually hurt, or just isn't ready for playing time. This reminds me a little of the Webber/Penny draft with them going 1 and 3 and 2 being Shawn Bradley. Ayton is Webber, fine player but not quite "The Man". Doncic is Penny and if he can stay healthy he's got great size, court vision, and the right thought process to be a star. Bagley is Shawn Bradley so far. He was drafted for size and hasn't done much of anything yet.

Bagley is actually doing pretty well, averaging 13.5 ppg/6.5 rebounds/1.2 blocks in just 24 minutes per game, being a great big off the bench on a surprising Kings team that's over .500.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on Bickley & Marotta that Ayton said he had stomach issues b/c he forgot to eat lunch after practice? Is this an 8-year old trapped in a grown man’s body? This is becoming Dwight Howard all over again.

to be honest, if he's Dwight Howard without the injuries, I'll freaking take it. He might be a mental midget, but when Howard was healthy, he was a force on the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having gotten a couple glimpses of Doncic, just from that first game against us, it was pretty clear he had that something in his game... such a natural feel for the game, ease in passing. I didn't know if it would translate against superior athletes like I saw in highlights against the Euros, but he looks as good as advertised at this point... if not better.

And his fire... which was something I didn't doubt amongst my doubts... will only push him further. Kid's a winner.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
to be honest, if he's Dwight Howard without the injuries, I'll freaking take it. He might be a mental midget, but when Howard was healthy, he was a force on the court.

Dwight was at least not soft early on. I think once he became a superstar he couldn’t handle success and his personal life became a disaster. Then he developed a horrible attitude towards everyone and became public enemy #1 of the league.

Idk of any examples of horrible defensive players evolving into good ones but Ayton still has potential to be Towns-esque offensively and the Suns need to do everything possible to make that happen. Starting with a GM that has history of successful roster contsruction and a coach that the players can a) fully understand and b) knows what he’s doing around professional kids. What comes to mind is the relationship Calipari and Cousins had at Kentucky. Constantly went at eachother but there was enormous respect. Idk who that guy should be. Too hardcore and he’d turn the young guys off and not alpha enough and he wouldn’t have their respect. And would he consider this current organizational environment?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How exactly do you forget to eat lunch thing if it's a routine thing that he does after practice?

Don't teams usually have people in place to take care of this stuff (almost like babysitting) too especially for a top draft pick?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bagley is actually doing pretty well, averaging 13.5 ppg/6.5 rebounds/1.2 blocks in just 24 minutes per game, being a great big off the bench on a surprising Kings team that's over .500.
Yeah if he gets up to 36 mins and his rates stay constant he’s right around 20pts 10rebs and 2blocks (9.75 rebs and 1.8 blocks). Those are number two pick worthy numbers easily. In fact they challenge ayton’s numbers, and on a better team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Howard was a rebound machine and a much more menacing defender. He’s not going to be that Howard. Maybe just the giant immature kid Howard.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think 13ppg 8 rpg

Is a nice year.

He's not going to come close to averaging 20 I think people are forgetting WE DONT HAVE ANYONE TO GET HIM THE BALL. Lol

Unless they trade for a real legit NBA point guard who's gonna be making the entry passes? Who's gonna be throwing lobs? Who's gonna find him when he's running the floor. A lot of easy buckets are going to be left on the table for him because we don't really have anyone that can make it easy for him

Nice

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m calling 14p, 8.5r, 1.5a, 1b

I think he will be first team all rookie

Will play in rookie/soph game

Will win rookie of the month award twice

Might be rookie of the year (people thinking young or someone else is averaging 23-24 pets per game as a rookie are way off imo).
Hmm my guesses weren’t bad. I think I expected those numbers in fewer minutes though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson