Expectations for Ayton's Rookie year

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Umm, ouch. After last night, maybe not.

Honestly, I have not watched a full Suns (NBA) game since the Spurs-Suns series and Amare's suspension. I was that upset about it. The last game I went to was a playoff game versus the Lakers the season before Marion left. Once Nash was traded (and it was a good trade) I stopped even checking the scores or turning in for a quarter or two.

Ayton has me excited for the Suns. I'm listening to some games on the radio, I've watched a few quarters here and there. I like Booker. Even in these bad losses, there are flashes of hope that I'm seeing on the court. I'm starting to believe that we are a point guard and some maturity away from being pretty good and having a high ceiling on top of it.

I hope we can get Josh Jackson's head right. I hope we can get a point guard, and I hope this draft class pans out as it has started. But most importantly, I have hope again.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When comparing Aytons stats to guys from the past two decades it’s a good idea to look at per possession numbers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would like to see him bump up the points. I am OK with just a block a night, if he could go 18 to 20 points, and a consistent 10-12 boards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I want to rewind a game ago. Ayton claims to be sick because he didn’t eat. People were okay with him not starting because he was sick. He wasn’t sick, he was hungry. And that’s why he told the coach something that lead the coach to believe he might not play. Because he was hungry?!? FREAKING HUNGRY?!? The poo coming outta this kid is getting worse.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
So I want to rewind a game ago. Ayton claims to be sick because he didn’t eat. People were okay with him not starting because he was sick. He wasn’t sick, he was hungry. And that’s why he told the coach something that lead the coach to believe he might not play. Because he was hungry?!? FREAKING HUNGRY?!? The **** coming outta this kid is getting worse.
You've never felt sick or queezy from not eating?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You've never felt sick or queezy from not eating?
I’ve also not been a professional athlete and paid millions to make sure I eat if I know that happens to me and I have a game, you know - what I’m paid those millions to be ready for?

If someone gets sick, they get sick. I get it. Difficult to avoid. They get a pass.

But that’s not what happened here. Ayton has a tummy ache because he forgot to eat and it threatened him playing?!? WTF?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I’ve also not been a professional athlete and paid millions to make sure I eat if I know that happens to me and I have a game, you know - what I’m paid those millions to be ready for?

If someone gets sick, they get sick. I get it. Difficult to avoid. They get a pass.

But that’s not what happened here. Ayton has a tummy ache because he forgot to eat and it threatened him playing?!? WTF?
It's actually very common to get sick from not eating , I don't understand what the big deal is here so what if he would have got 1 out of 82 games off it he was actually felt sick

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus he was not sick. He got benched. This "sick" story is crap.

I'm not buying the sick story. I mean, when did he realize he didn't eat and didn't feel right? Apparently during shootaround there was talk of a change to the starting 5, primarily Holmes in and Ayton out, so he had time to eat something. I don't know how an NBA team's schedule looks during a game day but I don't think it's unusual or out of the question to believe players are with the team for 2-3 hours before tipoff. In that time, Ayton didn't mention being hungry? I've heard of teams catering for players in various sports and I just can't see a player not eat between morning practice and the game itself by mistake. "Oh, I forgot to eat, I don't feel well". It sounds ridiculous because it is and I think it's just an awful cover.

Quite the coincidence that everyone started calling for Ayton to be benched or at least lose his starting spot right after the game before that. He does lose the starting spot and it's apparently because he had a stomach ache? One so bad he only played like 4 minutes less than his yearly average? I'm not buying it.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Plus he was not sick. He got benched. This "sick" story is crap.

Yep....I hope he really didn't miss a start because he forgot to eat and had a tummy ache. It makes no sense unless he is really a giant four year old.

Maybe Igor should have one of the players parents bring orange slices and snacks for pre-game and half time.

Maybe Ayton is just unbelievably immature, even for a 20 year old. That would explain a lot and will give us some hope that his shortcomings will iron out as he matures....

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
My expectations were higher than what we're getting. So, I've had to readjust them. Ayton is not an alpha. I know that now. I probably would have picked Doncic #1 knowing that but it is what it is. I will continue to support Ayton and hope he continues to improve and learn to be more aggressive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My expectations were higher than what we're getting. So, I've had to readjust them. Ayton is not an alpha. I know that now. I probably would have picked Doncic #1 knowing that but it is what it is. I will continue to support Ayton and hope he continues to improve and learn to be more aggressive.

I knew it and wanted Ayton anyway, and I'd still take him over Doncic even today. When he matures, we'll have an athletic big man that can give us something like 24 and 12. He won't control the rim the way we'd like but if we ever stop playing matador defense everywhere else, he'll be fine on that end. Give him a real point guard and a quality power forward and he'll look a lot better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I knew it and wanted Ayton anyway, and I'd still take him over Doncic even today. When he matures, we'll have an athletic big man that can give us something like 24 and 12. He won't control the rim the way we'd like but if we ever stop playing matador defense everywhere else, he'll be fine on that end. Give him a real point guard and a quality power forward and he'll look a lot better.

And a competent coach who knows how to use him properly.

Superbone

Reaction score
I hope you're right, Steve. I'm just going to have to have patience because it's going to take some time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right, Steve. I'm just going to have to have patience because it's going to take some time.

I'm actually a little less impressed by Doncic than I expected to be. He's NBA ready, that's clear. And I think he's going to be solid for a decade but I'd put his value closer to a Toni Kukoc, which isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it great. I don't think Ayton is destined for greatness either. I think he's going to be a rich man's Marcin Gortat, which will always be something of a disappointment to us but for a franchise that just can't seem to find a good big man, he'll be good enough IMO.

If there's a great player in that class, it will come from some of the lesser names and we couldn't reasonably select a projected 2nd tier player with the first pick. It was always Doncic, Bagley or Ayton IMO. Anything else would have likely ended in a quick managerial change. Of course, we got that anyway but Ayton was the smart pick especially to avoid the perception that our coach drove the decision.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm actually a little less impressed by Doncic than I expected to be. He's NBA ready, that's clear. And I think he's going to be solid for a decade but I'd put his value closer to a Toni Kukoc, which isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it great. I don't think Ayton is destined for greatness either. I think he's going to be a rich man's Marcin Gortat, which will always be something of a disappointment to us but for a franchise that just can't seem to find a good big man, he'll be good enough IMO.

If there's a great player in that class, it will come from some of the lesser names and we couldn't reasonably select a projected 2nd tier player with the first pick. It was always Doncic, Bagley or Ayton IMO. Anything else would have likely ended in a quick managerial change. Of course, we got that anyway but Ayton was the smart pick especially to avoid the perception that our coach drove the decision.

What did you expect? 30 points, 10 rebounds and 15 assists rookie? :shocker:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you expect? 30 points, 10 rebounds and 15 assists rookie? :shocker:

I don't know that I had any specific numbers in mind for him. But because I thought he was an almost fully developed player, I expected a little bit more from him. I thought he'd be a more effective scorer inside the arc and I wasn't expecting such a high turnover rate from him. He's helping his team in a lot of ways so I don't want to make it sound like he's not valuable, I just expected a little more from him. I don't think comparing him to Toni Kukoc is exactly an insult though.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doncic has been great and Ayton has been to but there in diffrent situations

Ayton is dealing with the most dysfunctional Suns team I've ever seen. A big man needs to be fed and we have nobody to feed him

Superbone

Reaction score
Boy, I can’t agree with that. I just watched him singlehandedly manufacture a comeback and win over the Rockets. Hitting a 3 followed by a couple step back 3s and a drive to the hoop with Tucker draped all over him. No doubt in my mind he’s special.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Boy, I can’t agree with that. I just watched him singlehandedly manufacture a comeback and win over the Rockets. Hitting a 3 followed by a couple step back 3s and a drive to the hoop with Tucker draped all over him. No doubt in my mind he’s special.

And he is a 19 year old rookie. Still a teenager.