Edgerrin James

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
Edgerrin James, our 2006 prized free-agent acquisition has lost faith in the eyes of many Cardinal fans. This greatly dissapoints me. He not only showed faith and support for this un-heralded franchise by signing a long term deal, and also by rushing for the first 1000+ yard season we have seen since Adrien Murrell. Many believe that he is not capable of running the presumably preferred rushing style of Coach Whisenhunt. I believe that he makes up for this perculiar in-experience with experience. Edgerrin James is entering his 9th season in the league. For tailbacks, this is deemed the "golden years", but as Edge showed in 2006, his strongest trait just might be endurance. Last years James showed, what I saw as, strength in the face of adversity. Being the most-recognizable name on the most un-recognizable team, he kept his mouth shut and started 16 straight games. He displayed above-average talent when rushing behind an average line, in my opinion. Although he prefers to workout in Miami, his workout ethic has never been questioned. With his participation and voluntary involvement in this years off-season programs I have no reason to believe that he will be any less of the back he was in 06'. Right now, he is un-arguably the go-to guy in Arizona regarding the run. Coach Whisenhunt plans to use Edge in his own time-tested style of offense. With one season under his belt in Arizona I have no question in my mind that this time-tested tail-back has everything in him to adjust and succeed. Dis-agree if you may but Edgerrin James is our man, and he is the one that will take us to the play-offs in the new offensive gameplan of the Arizona Cardinals in 07', the season rides on his shoulders.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really hope Edge has a great year this year and leads us to the playoffs :) that would be enough for me.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
o-k, I-H-o-p-e-E-d-g-e-D-o-e-s-W-e-l-l

J/k

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Edge is the man.

I think he will have a resurgence running behind a fullback.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely, the run game will get off to a slow start again this season. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what usually happens with a new scheme and a new oline. The arguments about whether it's James' or the olines' fault should be a blast.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two things come to mind regarding last season:

1. Edge gained roughly 1,200 yards (most since OJ Anderson (1,270) in 1983.

2. His second effort - how many times did he get stopped at the LOS only to crawl, scrape and reach for 2 or 3 extra yards after the initial hit? Watch the tape.

Sometimes one media writer will (rightly or wrongly) jot down a pet theory, other media writers will jump on it and repeat it over and over until it becomes part of the conventional wisdom accepted by both media and fans.

I don't consider Edge to have been a disappointment. I do consider the "many-tentacled rushing attack 'animal'" (i.e. blocking, timing, play-calling, running etc.) to have been a disappointment last year).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things come to mind regarding last season:

1. Edge gained roughly 1,200 yards (most since OJ Anderson (1,270) in 1983.

2. His second effort - how many times did he get stopped at the LOS only to crawl, scrape and reach for 2 or 3 extra yards after the initial hit? Watch the tape.

Sometimes one media writer will (rightly or wrongly) jot down a pet theory, other media writers will jump on it and repeat it over and over until it becomes part of the conventional wisdom accepted by both media and fans.

I don't consider Edge to have been a disappointment. I do consider the "many-tentacled rushing attack 'animal'" (i.e. blocking, timing, play-calling, running etc.) to have been a disappointment last year).

:thumbup:

I remember Edge getting the 2-3 extra yards in every game. Almost any other back behind our line last year would have been closer to 1000 yards.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering the stupid decisions made about the O-line last season I thought Edge did what he could. I have not lost faith in him one bit. I think he will be better this season.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Less running into eight man fronts might help

Successful running into eight man fronts might help more.

Make them think about bringing nine, then introduce them to Q and Fitz.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Stopped at the LOS ? I saw Edge break 5 tackles to just get to the LOS.

Our offensive line was awful, and still is very questionable.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way.

They would be closer to 850 yards.

Nah, Edge doesn't have that breakaway speed anymore. I'm sure one or two times, an average back would have broken a couple of 30+ yard runs.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Successful running into eight man fronts might help more.

Make them think about bringing nine, then introduce them to Q and Fitz.
Not too many teams with redbirds on their helmets have been able to successfully run against eight man fronts, that I can remember.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
what i noticed last year was that edge dropped his head once he got back to the line of scrimmage as if it was enough. this was definetely because he was expecting to get crushed by unblocked defenders. With a better offensive line this year and a coach who has a brain? this should be a good year with much more 20+ yard carries.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought Edge gave everything he could and looked good doing it. Half the backs in the league would have fained injury half way through the season. What did he do? Asked for the ball more. Showed a lot of gumption in my book.

3brosPhxFan

Reaction score
Edge in the final 8 games last season:

643 yards
80 per game (89.7 per game if you don't count the Min. game - 4 carries)
over 4.2 ypc

No question - still has it. Hope he can build off that and start strong this year.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

643 yards
over 4.2 ypc

No question - still has it. Hope he can build off that and start strong this year.

Welcome to ASFN.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

643 yards
over 4.2 ypc

Strong entrance to the board, my friend. I'll take some chili fries, a giant grilled cheeseburger with mushrooms, and a Red Stripe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz