Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
My thoughts on the guy -

Physical, physical corner who really knows how to tackle with authority.

Can play slot or on the outside.

Good ball skills when it is in the air, none of this McFadden stuff never looking for the ball.

Only 26 years old in his prime with starting experience.

Really good 2009 season his first year starting.

But he had an off year when teams starting picking on him never wanting to throw Gambles way. He was clearly pouting last year having not got the contract extension he though he deserved. Without a doubt he was pouting and it effected his game. With a new contract, new team, new surroundings, and it being only a one year contract I don't see that as a problem. Him signing a one year contract means he has a mission to once again prove himself to be at his 2009 level again.

While he is a much better fit for Horton then DRC, he is a really, really good pickup and a really good addition to the DB core, I think the thread title is a little overzealous, he is not the same talent as DRC.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Somers just tweeted that it was only a 1 year deal. Whatsupwiththatyo?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We call that "Prove It" money.

I'm doing a breakdown of the Panthers v AZ games from 08-10 just for curiosity.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My thoughts on the guy -

Physical, physical corner who really knows how to tackle with authority.

Can play slot or on the outside.

Good ball skills when it is in the air, none of this McFadden stuff never looking for the ball.

Only 26 years old in his prime with starting experience.

Really good 2009 season his first year starting.

But he had an off year when teams starting picking on him never wanting to throw Gambles way. He was clearly pouting last year having not got the contract extension he though he deserved. Without a doubt he was pouting and it effected his game. With a new contract, new team, new surroundings, and it being only a one year contract I don't see that as a problem. Him signing a one year contract means he has a mission to once again prove himself to be at his 2009 level again.

While he is a much better fit for Horton then DRC, he is a really, really good pickup and a really good addition to the DB core, I think the thread title is a little overzealous, he is not the same talent as DRC.

I just got off the phone with my brother in NC, and he gave me the local impressions of Marshall, which mirror some of your thoughts.

Before last season, was seen as an ascending player, but struggled quite a bit last year. Pouting about his contract and playing off man coverage were the primary factors in his struggles. He's a man cover guy who can make plays on the ball, not a cover two kind of guy. Ironically, Ron Rivera is known for running coverage schemes that really suit him; last year we didn't under Billy Davis, hopefully Horton will scheme to his strengths.

Its a solid pickup, one that previous Cardinals teams wouldn't have made. He's better than Macklin, Trumain McBride, and other scrubs we've signed in the past.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Uh, I think you're reading about the big splash now.

From what I've read I'm optimistic about this signing.

All this said, I cannot remember a single season where we experienced this much turnover, and without a regime change! Will cause some continuity and familiarity issues early methinks.

And they had a huge amount of turnover last season. Basically a brand new team in just 2 seasons. Only 7 starters left, not from the SB team but from 2009!

(Going into 2009 we had 18)

Unfortunate that its happening with a shortened pre season so we should be prepared for one more tough year. I just hope they are at least competitive while they gel.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And they had a huge amount of turnover last season. Basically a brand new team in just 2 seasons. Only 7 starters left, not from the SB team but from 2009!

(Going into 2009 we had 18)

Unfortunate that its happening with a shortened pre season so we should be prepared for one more tough year. I just hope they are at least competitive while they gel.

I know I'm drinking the kool-aide per usual but I think that's our floor this year. Our ceiling is much higher. :beer:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
turnover? Seems all in NFC West but Rams are having serious turnover as well.

:championship:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turnover? Seems all in NFC West but Rams are having serious turnover as well.

:championship:

Niners having serious turnover? Only in the coaching staff it would seem?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know I'm drinking the kool-aide per usual but I think that's our floor this year. Our ceiling is much higher. :beer:

I think so too as we have some good young players and appear to be closing the gap on the roster between the 1-3 year guys and the 10+ year guys.

I sure wish they'd been able to assemble the team back in May though.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
At this point if the usual suspects weren't so predictable in their response, it would be laughable. Seriously get a grip.

Good signing and now we have a legit 3 man rotation at CB. We are putting a lot on PP's shoulders, but at least they brought someone in, which the SOC wouldn't have.

I'm happy. Still want another starting OL ( can we please get a tackle?) an starting OLB and yes, Heap.
Agreed, He is a solid CB, now we have some depth & competition.

We need an OT(Matt Light plz?) an OLB(Manny Lawson?), WR(Malcom Floyd?), Heap would be awesome.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't a bad signing at all. I knew we'd sign a CB, but I thought it would be more of a depth guy like a Ralph Brown or someone of his ilk. At least this guy can legitimately start if Peterson struggles early.

Bottom line: this is a Bryant McFadden, Rod Hood type of signing. But one that had to be made.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The guy is physical. Don't know much about his coverage skills. But if he can tackle, and he can, then imo it's a guy worth having on the roster.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The guy is physical. Don't know much about his coverage skills. But if he can tackle, and he can, then imo it's a guy worth having on the roster.

That was also supposed to be McFadden. But after about 2 games he started tackling like the rest of the DBs on the Matador Squad. Lets hope Horton stops that.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Rod Hood was our best CB for the first year and a half. Not sure what happened after that.

McFadden was just BAD.

I think this guy will be much better for us in this system.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rod Hood was our best CB for the first year and a half. Not sure what happened after that.

McFadden was just BAD.

I think this guy will be much better for us in this system.

The deal with Hood was weird. Football Outsiders rated him one of the top CBs in the NFL. A year later he was released.

McFadden was supposed to be an average but more physical corner than Hood or Eric Green. He was at first then he regressed and at the end was really having trouble finding the football while he was in coverage. I believe someone pointed out that was what Horton meant when he said he had to coach the Arizona out of McFadden.

Meanwhile McFadden never really proved to be any more physical or any better at tackling than the guys that were here before him. One of my biggest disappointments as a Free Agent because you know how long I've been ranting about the Cards needing a more physical defense.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
And to add:

Didnt Horton say he wanted his DBs to be physical?

PP7 was a very physical corner in college (drafted 1st round)
Toler is a good, physical corner (Kept)
Marshall is a good, physical corner (Signed)
DRC was not known for physicality (Traded)

I see a trend. Horton is having his say in player acquisitions.

I get the Mel Kiper free agency rankings. Mel had Marshall ranked as #4 of all the available CBs. NYJ Antonio Cromartie was ranked #6 by comparison.

Also Cards re-signed CB Michael Adams this week. Nickleback who is very physical too.

Go Cardinals!
~Tim in NJ

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson