Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The deal with Hood was weird. Football Outsiders rated him one of the top CBs in the NFL. A year later he was released.

McFadden was supposed to be an average but more physical corner than Hood or Eric Green. He was at first then he regressed and at the end was really having trouble finding the football while he was in coverage. I believe someone pointed out that was what Horton meant when he said he had to coach the Arizona out of McFadden.

Meanwhile McFadden never really proved to be any more physical or any better at tackling than the guys that were here before him. One of my biggest disappointments as a Free Agent because you know how long I've been ranting about the Cards needing a more physical defense.

Hood was awful our Super Bowl year. Awful.

McFadden was a very steady tackler, but without a great pass rush, his inability to EVER make a play on the ball was exposed. He has worked in the past in Pittsburgh system, but as teams are tending to throw the ball more and more, he has become a fringe player.

I hope (pray actually) that the same isn't becoming true with A Dub, that the NFL's changing offenses are making him a fringe player. Maybe we'll begin to see Rhodes line up at SS and Johnson at FS this season...

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
This is what Wolfley had to say about Marshall:

Richard Marshall at CB is the manifestation of Ray Horton's defensive dogma. Can you say roll-up corner? Welcome fire-zone-blitz, welcome.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hood was awful our Super Bowl year. Awful.

Well he wasn't that bad. But he wasn't anywhere near as good as the year before and that's the point. What happened?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was also supposed to be McFadden. But after about 2 games he started tackling like the rest of the DBs on the Matador Squad. Lets hope Horton stops that.

Yeah, I remember when we got McFadden and I was like finally, a guy who is a tackler at cb. As Horton would possibly say, he must of let the 'arizona' get taught to him???

At least with Marshall, he'll be starting with Horton as coach, and so I hope this time, we really did get a guy that will consistently tackle, and not be ?taught? to focus on something else.

We'll find out. Better or worse.

But I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's been suggested that he was the guy Piitsburgh had an eye on, if they lost Ike Taylor.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Wolfley had to say about Marshall:

Richard Marshall at CB is the manifestation of Ray Horton's defensive dogma. Can you say roll-up corner? Welcome fire-zone-blitz, welcome.
Thanks for posting that. Makes it sound like he is the right kind of player for Horton. Let's hope this defense comes together. I have always wanted this team to have a strong defense and solid Oline. Will we have both this year?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did we sign him for real? Funny how DRC will not be #3 CB unless they trade him again. I dought you will see him get a new contract after his rookie scale is done.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Did we sign him for real? Funny how DRC will not be #3 CB unless they trade him again. I dought you will see him get a new contract after his rookie scale is done.

We did for real sign him. He showed up with Bradley in Flag this afternoon.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Makes it sound like he is the right kind of player for Horton. Let's hope this defense comes together. I have always wanted this team to have a strong defense and solid Oline. Will we have both this year?

Wouldn't that be great? To actually start to go get guys who fit the schemes instead of just getting whoever and hoping they can play what you want to run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose