Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner to Fitz would have torched every corner in the league during that years playoffs. They were just unstoppable. Plus DelHomme didnt help that defense's cause that day...

spanky1

Reaction score
Unless someone can post a difinitive "Marshall has been signed by the Cardinals", this is nothing but a rumor.

There are NO reports of this here in Charlotte.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Unless someone can post a difinitive "Marshall has been signed by the Cardinals", this is nothing but a rumor.

There are NO reports of this here in Charlotte.

One of his reps tweeted it

http://twitter.com/#!/Tfont

Tfont Therrian Fontenot
Congratulatings to my boy @TheMarshall31 on his way to the Arizona Cardinals
9 hours ago

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is a good signing, doesn't replace DRC IMO but much better than having Mike Adams on the field.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Read that teams have three WR's on the field 45% of the time, so you need three CB's. And if we do have Marshall, and if Toler continues to improve (and he should) and if PP7 is as good as advertised, we should have a decent defensive backfield. I know a lot of if's, but I'm more excited than I was last night.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was part of "D" that was on the field 5 minutes more per game and, yet, finished 11th, in total pass "D". They were quite good at preventing the big play.

Does he have DRC's freakish talent? Absolutely not, but DRC is not a cover-2 corner, willing and sure in his tackling; Marshall is.

And, let's be clear: If he's about to join the Cards it's with Horton's sign off.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think this sums up Marshall pretty good.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6800194/the-nfl-great-scrambling-act

Richard Marshall deserved a contract extension after the 2009 season. After moving into the starting lineup at right cornerback for the Panthers, he helped them put up the league's second-best pass defense. Unfortunately for Marshall, the Panthers were busy extending Jake Delhomme's deal, and while they only fell to eighth in pass defense last season, Marshall shouldered a lot of the blame. He's still just 26, and he'll catch on somewhere as a well-rounded corner capable of playing both outside and in the slot.

Marshall was actually considered to be the next shut-down corener a few years back. He probably didn't deserve such a high rating, but he definately doesn't not deserve the blame he's getting now. Solid signing. Marshall should be a very solid #2 CB for the next five years.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First off, you guys are up waaaaay to late.

Secondly, until I get harder conformation I will treat this as an 11th hour rumor.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a good signing, doesn't replace DRC IMO but much better than having Mike Adams on the field.

I know he didn't match up against #1s or #2s, but Mike Adams was our best corner last year. He was our only defensive back who finished the year with a positive grade.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know he didn't match up against #1s or #2s, but Mike Adams was our best corner last year. He was our only defensive back who finished the year with a positive grade.

I know what my eyes see, Adams SUCKS in coverage, he is too small...good on special teams but he can't cover anyone.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Adams is amazing in everything but coverage.
Too bad he doesn't play ILB for us.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hmmmm Profootballfocus called DRC the worst ranked CB in the league

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/19/fantasy-idp-monday-morning-cornerback-22/

They watch every snap of every player and factor in all parts of the game. DRC is a complete nonfactor against the run. While Greg Toler was not the playmaker that DRC was, he was significantly better against the run.

And the Cardinals drafted him in the first round.

Levi Brown rated worst T in the NFL and they drafted him in the first round.

Matt Leinart doesn't even want to compete for a starting job and the Cardinals drafted him in the first round.

Beanie Wells trips over a blade of grass and is injury prone and the Cardinals drafted him in the first round.

Dan Williams can't go two plays without getting gassed and the Cardinals drafted him in the first round.

:bang:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Guys Ray Horton has seen this guy play up close he wouldn't go after him if he wasn't going to make his D better.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice. I had him on my short list, that I never got around to posting.

But I like this signing. He can definitely start in the NFL.

I would say he is a solid - average - middle of the road starting CB in the NFL.

Perfect. This makes me feel a lot better about our CB situation.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If I ever got the sense that the Cards targeted an outstanding player, pursued and then signed him I would feel much more confident. Most of the time it seems like they wait and see who falls through the cracks and then make their signings in panic mode.

Of course Kolb is the exception that proves the rule.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know what my eyes see, Adams SUCKS in coverage, he is too small...good on special teams but he can't cover anyone.

Are you blind? :p Just kidding.

Adams wasn't the liability he was last year. Go back and watch him again, he made a lot of really good stops last year. I preface this by saying that I was scared of him being on the field early last year, but by the end of the season he was playing very well.

The problem with Adams is that you always have to keep him away from bigger receivers and he gives offenses a matchup advantage that is hard to game plan around. But he's a great special teamer and when you can dictate matchups, he's worth having on the field since he's very technically sound and was our best tackling DB (that may change with PP7 on the roster).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hmmmm Profootballfocus called DRC the worst ranked CB in the league

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/19/fantasy-idp-monday-morning-cornerback-22/

They watch every snap of every player and factor in all parts of the game. DRC is a complete nonfactor against the run. While Greg Toler was not the playmaker that DRC was, he was significantly better against the run.

For Fantasy Purposes C'mon, Krang. The article it titled "Fantasy IDP." I don't know if you just found what you wanted and didn't read the context, or if you were being incredibly dishonest by posting that like it's some legitimate ranking of defensive players.

That's shameful. Embarrassing. This column has nothing to do with anything but stats. Ridiculous. I know that you'll go out of your way to downgrade any player that left the Cards, but even this is a new low.