Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Shzm13, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

2. TJ

TJ Ain’t No Fairytale

This guy was mentioned numerous times on Sirius NFL Radio as one of the CBs a team should pursue if they weren't in the running for Asomugha.

I wouldnt say he is going to flat out replace DRC's skill set, but he is a much better tackler and he has good cover skills.

This fan is satisfied

3. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

4. Nash2Amare

Nash2Amare Registered

• 90-100: Elite Player
      Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.
    • 80-89: Outstanding Player
      Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.
    • 70-79: Good Starter
      Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.
    • 60-69: Average Starter
      A valuable roster player but not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives great effort and teams are glad to have him, but he may or may not go to the next level.
    Expert's Take
    Marshall has good size for the position along with above-average speed, but shows excellent quickness, agility and body control when locked up in man coverage. He can extend the cushion with a low, compact back pedal and has the fluid hips that allow him to flip and turn without a loss of momentum as the receiver gets even with him. He is quick in transition and shows a good burst to accelerate and close on the play. He still needs to work on his upper-body strength to make him more effective when he's contesting for the ball as well as when he's in run support.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?sort=grade&positionId=29

5. Bert

Bert Walkin' on Sunshine

No stop being reasonable, people who are positive about anything are sheep and so they're soooooo predictable, omg im the only smart person on this board who sees things the real way they are. Go on thinking positive but one day you'll see that bitching about everything, although it changes nothing, it really makes you feel good about yourself! :soapbox:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. TJ

TJ Ain’t No Fairytale

And to add:

Didnt Horton say he wanted his DBs to be physical?

PP7 was a very physical corner in college (drafted 1st round)
    Toler is a good, physical corner (Kept)
    Marshall is a good, physical corner (Signed)
    DRC was not known for physicality (Traded)

I see a trend. Horton is having his say in player acquisitions.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I might have missed something but when did Toler become "good"?

8. TJ

TJ Ain’t No Fairytale

When did he become "bad" I should ask you.

Dude had 90 tackles last season (many against the run) and towards the end became a good cover corner once he started getting his feet wet. By some accounts, he was more consistent than DRC.

9. cheesebeef

why should you ask me that question? i never said he was bad. He's just completely unproven.

are those accounts by people on this board? because his stats didn't bear that out.

10. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

YES. This guy in Horton's system will be nails. If true, awesome signing.

Oh please be true.

11. cheesebeef

i do like the fact that this makes plays on the ball. but that burn rate is pretty damn horrific.

none of it will matter if we don't get someone who can actually get close enough to sneeze on the QB.

12. TJ

TJ Ain’t No Fairytale

What stats are you referencing? He had more than double the # of tackles than DRC and only one less interception.

It's undeniable that DRC is much better, but his inconsistency was a big issue.

13. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

Burn rate is bad, but in Horton's system, he won't be putting them in position where they need to cover man all over the place and get burned. His zone blitz schemes will have protections built in as he covers the blitzers with confusion coverages.

We could have done a far sight worse...like signing Stuckey as our WR to replace Breaston or something stupid like that.

14. cheesebeef

lol.

like I said, i like that he's a play-maker and physical, but that burn rate is horrific. and i just hate that for the most part, our bar is always lowered to "we could have done a far sight worse".

15. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

Give em credit cheese. They went after Namdi. He said he wasn't interested. Oh well. :(