Drc WHO? Cards sign CB Richard Marshall

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know he didn't match up against #1s or #2s, but Mike Adams was our best corner last year. He was our only defensive back who finished the year with a positive grade.

As a tackler. I know that PFF's pretty shaky ranking are gospel to you, but at least provide the same context and qualifications that they do.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guys Ray Horton has seen this guy play up close he wouldn't go after him if he wasn't going to make his D better.
This reeks of Horton, if Horton's happy, desertdawg be happy too. This dude can tackle and isn't a slouch at coverage, I don't know if he has a grill or anything.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
First off, you guys are up waaaaay to late.

Secondly, until I get harder conformation I will treat this as an 11th hour rumor.

TheMarshall31 Richard Marshall

Getting on this flight on my way to az let's get it

2 minutes ago

From the man himself!

Great signing...I've been lobbying for Marshall to come here since October. He's exactly the physical type player we need in our secondary.

http://twitter.com/#!/TheMarshall31/status/97310057418592257 http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Fantasy Purposes C'mon, Krang. The article it titled "Fantasy IDP." I don't know if you just found what you wanted and didn't read the context, or if you were being incredibly dishonest by posting that like it's some legitimate ranking of defensive players.

That's shameful. Embarrassing. This column has nothing to do with anything but stats. Ridiculous. I know that you'll go out of your way to downgrade any player that left the Cards, but even this is a new low.

Yes.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Isn't this the dude that Kurt & Larry repeatedly torched in the 2009 playoff game?

At worst he is a significant upgrade over DRC in run defense and a serious liability in pass defense. At best, he contributes as a nickle back and competes for #2 CB, while contributing on special teams. At least the Cardinals are doing SOMETHING. I had Money Mike penciled in at nickle back. :(

No. Ken Lucas was the guy getting reamed by Fitzgerald all game long and Chris Gamble might have matched up on him too. Marshall was there nickelback making his first career playoff start, so there is 0 chance he was responsible for fitz. Here he is posterizing Lucas (and their safety Godfrey whom you cant see, who also got torched by fitz):

You must be registered for see images attach

And after reading about this guy some, I really like the signing. Perfect fit for the scheme.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If I ever got the sense that the Cards targeted an outstanding player, pursued and then signed him I would feel much more confident. Most of the time it seems like they wait and see who falls through the cracks and then make their signings in panic mode.

Of course Kolb is the exception that proves the rule.

I don't think so. They went out and straight-up snagged some of the guys they wanted--Colledge, King and Bradley.

Adams is amazing in everything but coverage.
Too bad he doesn't play ILB for us.

If Money Mike was even half a foot taller, he'd be all-pro. He often has the coverage but is too damn short to make the play.

So, I didn't know about this CB, but he sounds like a ready-made Horton CB. Works for me. Makes the Kolb trade a whole lot better. I said it before the trade: If DRC leaves, Horton likely wanted to replace him. Well, replace him they did.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
@kentsomers
Kent Somers
Cardinals expected to announce signing of CB Richard Marshall today. 6th NFL season, from Carol. 32 starts, 7 ints last 2 yrs.

Official as it gets I guess......

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For Fantasy Purposes C'mon, Krang. The article it titled "Fantasy IDP." I don't know if you just found what you wanted and didn't read the context, or if you were being incredibly dishonest by posting that like it's some legitimate ranking of defensive players.

IF you actually read the article you would see that he had a -14 rating on their scale, not just for fantasty purposes but overall. But reading it would kind of defeat your argument so I assume you didn't.

That's shameful. Embarrassing. This column has nothing to do with anything but stats. Ridiculous. I know that you'll go out of your way to downgrade any player that left the Cards, but even this is a new low.

LOL ok there chief, you might want to read a bit before you post, it's embarrasing that you didn't because you're much more intelligent than that.

Whether DRC left or not, he was terrible last year. Awful. Atrocious. We all said it EVEN BEFORE WE KNEW HE WAS GETTING TRADED. I know that doesn't fit your paradigm of "we let every great player go", but quite a few people on this board were already talking about axing him (Mitch championed it profusely).

Is DRC as bad as he was last year? No, the year before, he was THIRD BEST CORNER IN THE NFL. But how trustworthy of player is he, if he can fluctuate from being the third best corner in the NFL to being one of the worst starting corners in the NFL in a two year period?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Adams wasn't the liability he was last year.
What?
For Fantasy Purposes
C'mon, Krang.
The article it titled "Fantasy IDP."
That's shameful. Embarrassing. This column has nothing to do with anything but stats.
Ridiculous.
I know that you'll go out of your way to downgrade any player that left the Cards, but even this is a new low.
The article's purpose doesn't change the fact that DRCs a crap tackler who really isn't into that aspect of the game. Which is fine. Deon wasn't either.

Will he be missed?
Hell ya. Any fool could tell you he was a game-changing player.

But a loss can still be minimized and if a player doesn't buy into a team philosophy then he can do more harm than good in the locker room.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As a tackler. I know that PFF's pretty shaky ranking are gospel to you, but at least provide the same context and qualifications that they do.

No, you must not have read what they've written on Mike Adams (again, lack of research on your part)

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/05/ranking-the-free-agents-cornerbacks/

For posterity, I was wrong that he was the only player with a positive rating in our secondary; he had a negative rating.

Yes I agree with their ratings; it creates a baseline to judge players and it's a valuable tool since it's nigh impossible to watch every game, every player, every team. And I find that I agree with them more often than not. I know it's not the best method, but I would say it's better than judging players on their Madden rating. :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
At this point if the usual suspects weren't so predictable in their response, it would be laughable. Seriously get a grip.

Good signing and now we have a legit 3 man rotation at CB. We are putting a lot on PP's shoulders, but at least they brought someone in, which the SOC wouldn't have.

I'm happy. Still want another starting OL ( can we please get a tackle?) an starting OLB and yes, Heap.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will say Toler is going to be a good corner. He's not DRC, but he will be a quality corner who could be a #2 for most teams and he'll do it for years barring injury. We had a very low sack count last year and he held up okay in his first year seeing serious playing time. I like him.

QUOTE=cheesebeef;2481437]I might have missed something but when did Toler become "good"?[/QUOTE]

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The article's purpose doesn't change the fact that DRCs a crap tackler who really isn't into that aspect of the game. Which is fine. Deon wasn't either.

Will he be missed?
Hell ya. Any fool could tell you he was a game-changing player.

But a loss can still be minimized and if a player doesn't buy into a team philosophy then he can do more harm than good in the locker room.

Agreed. DRC is better than Marshall in most seasons.

I do disagree that his tackling isn't a problem, it is. But it can be overlooked if he plays like he did during the 2009-2010 season.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really like this signing and I think that Horton/Cioffi/Towshend will really help him get to the next level.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
No. Ken Lucas was the guy getting reamed by Fitzgerald all game long and Chris Gamble might have matched up on him too. Marshall was there nickelback making his first career playoff start, so there is 0 chance he was responsible for fitz. Here he is posterizing Lucas (and their safety Godfrey whom you cant see, who also got torched by fitz):

You must be registered for see images attach

And after reading about this guy some, I really like the signing. Perfect fit for the scheme.
Marshall was not responsible for Fitz in that game. He was however the guy who got the 15 yards unsportsmanlike penalty against Doucet that continued one of the scoring drives in the 2nd quarter.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall was not responsible for Fitz in that game. He was however the guy who got the 15 yards unsportsmanlike penalty against Doucet that continued one of the scoring drives in the 2nd quarter.
Doucet? Was he on team yet?

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Cardinals signed CB Richard Marshall, formerly of the Panthers.

The Cardinals add a physical corner that's willing to hit as they try to replace Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. While Marshall was abused by opposing passing games last year, he was also picked on because teams stayed way from Chris Gamble. With 32 starts under his belt over the last two seasons, Marshall has a good chance to bounce back in the desert.

rotoworld

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I'm for this deal, but it prpbably means no big splash in CB market (Cromartie).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm for this deal, but it prpbably means no big splash in CB market (Cromartie).

Uh, I think you're reading about the big splash now.

From what I've read I'm optimistic about this signing.

All this said, I cannot remember a single season where we experienced this much turnover, and without a regime change! Will cause some continuity and familiarity issues early methinks.