Thomas and Wright left to deal

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bledsoe at $14m, Dragic at $16m and an understanding that last year is the blueprint of how we should play - my preference, not a difficult aim, and we gone and blown it. Posted this on RealGM:

Fault For This Mess Allocation:

1. RMcD's fault (signing Thomas, weird negotiation with Bledsoe, putting together an unbalanced roster) - 40%

2. Eric Bledsoe (no communication during negotiation possibly leading to the IT signing in the first place, hard balling suns for too much money, dominating the ball more this season thinking he's the man) - 25%

3. Orlando Magic (for upsetting Dragic's play by paying Frye way, way waaay too much (PER < 10; no wonder they hate him over there) - 15%

4. Hornacek (for letting the inmates run the asylum) - 10%

5. IT (complaining about minutes at the start of the season, ball hogging) - 5% (can't blame him for being himself, blame RMcD instead.

6. Dragic (for not being more diplomatic if the Suns have offered to trade IT and he doesn't care and sold them down anyway) - 5% (whatever he does can pretty much be forgiven cause he got shaaafted).

1. Sorry, what was weird about McD's negotiation, the wierdness was on Bled's side, who failed to communicate. Yes. It is an unbalanced roster.

2. Totally agree.

3. We can't blame the Magic for our problems. Any team can sign any player for whatever is legal. They have no obligation to make life better for us.

4. Meh. You never know what is going on in this locker room. He might be doing a masterful job holding it together as well as he is.

5. IT. Bad teammate. Locker room problems wherever he goes.

6. Dragic. Keep it freaking private man. Is it really necessary to publish a list of teams making yourself almost untradeable?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda upset that Dragic agent is going public about this....but whatever

I think it should have been handled quietly behind closed doors as much as possible but maybe it was handled this way to pacify Suns fans who might get upset.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it if they did this.

If you think about it, we're not gonna get that great offers anyway. Its worth the risk to keep a guy like Goran and to somehow try and convince him otherwise.

I don't like it. If he wan't to go be the man, let him go. Dragic is probably my favorite player but not at a contract higher than Bledsoe's. Rather just keep Thomas at his bargain contract and use the money elsewhere.

Or, if they can swing a decent trade for Thomas, send him out as well and let Ennis be the backup. Go back to a more traditional system and let the young guys play.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone reading Chris Mannix tweets? He's reporting that the Suns are more than likely to hold onto dragic and offer him an extension at the end of the season.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On SC this morning, they were talking about the Lakers and that they wouldn't want to trade for Dragic now because he would make them better and they really want to keep their pick this year. I think there is no way that the Lakers remove that protection. I think they want to be in the race for Okafor more than they want Dragic this year.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Drafted well? The Suns drafted two players we never use (Warren and Ennis), and while Len is progressing, he is nowhere near matching his value as the #5 pick from last season.

You can't argue that the team is in better shape now than in years past. It's still run by a shi!ty owner, a GM who makes head scratching signings/draft selections, and the coaching is being called into question.

This isn't a "fanatic" overreaction; this is an analysis of the current landscape of the team. I don't like it, and neither to a majority of fans of the team.

For awhile, Len was looking like the best pick in that draft before Lopez took out his ankle. Goodwin is the definition of a long-term project.

I'm convinced Ennis was drafted (and Thomas signed) because the Suns were convinced Bledsoe was leaving. Warren has been stuck behind the million PG's the Suns have. Dragic leaving will free up time for him.

There's still plenty of time for the picks to pan out. Especially with Len. Most big men take 3-4 years to develop, and this is essentially his rookie season.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone reading Chris Mannix tweets? He's reporting that the Suns are more than likely to hold onto dragic and offer him an extension at the end of the season.

Yea it's the Suns putting it out there to create some sort of leverage.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shafted? Mishandled? Nonsense. Dragic turned out to be another whinny prima donna. Can't get rid of him fast enough IMO.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
On SC this morning, they were talking about the Lakers and that they wouldn't want to trade for Dragic now because he would make them better and they really want to keep their pick this year. I think there is no way that the Lakers remove that protection. I think they want to be in the race for Okafor more than they want Dragic this year.

If the Laker's removed that protection on that pick I would make that move in a heartbeat. Okafor has All-NBA 1st Team potential. Dragic is potentially the best player on non-playoff team.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's hard to argue with this.

Gonna be hard to sell this team as a FA destination after this. I'm sure others will say no, but that's gonna be a hard argument to make when a generally well liked guy, coming off an ALL-NBA season tells his team to shove it up their ass one year later.

We were not really a highly sought after FA destination before this under the Sarver regime. This just makes it worse.

Not only what you pointed out but a truckload of salt gets backed up into this gaping wound considering this was also a guy that we drafted.

OUCH!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its becoming evident that Dragic is going to get a $20 million per year offer from someone this summer. No changes in the roster balance would change that. And there is no chance the Suns would get any home town discount (they may have gotten a chance to match prior to this situation).

So, are we willing to pay Goran $20 million per year? If not, get what you can and quit trying to find blame. If we had not signed Bledsoe (I don't think the issue is IT), we would have the opportunity to have Goran at $20 million per year.

Bledsoe at $14 million or Goran at $20 million. Long term, it looks like it was going to be one or the other, not both. While I like Goran, I cannot argue with the idea of keeping Bledsoe instead. Goran is a better offensive player and a better floor general, but I am tired of defensively deficient Suns teams. I don't mind going a different direction.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He wants to go the the Lakers, the sorry ass Knicks, or Miami and that nightlife? Eff him and his agent for doing this in the media as well. He's not worth the money they want, despite a 3rd team All-NBA season last year. He's a nice player, but not a $20M per player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wants to go the the Lakers, the sorry ass Knicks, or Miami and that nightlife? Eff him and his agent for doing this in the media as well. He's not worth the money they want, despite a 3rd team All-NBA season last year. He's a nice player, but not a $20M per player.

agreed... especially considering is the reality is that if Westbrook doesn't miss half of last season, Dragic isn't even 3rd Team. Contrary to what A LOT of people have said here, Dragic isn't an All-NBA player. He had a 3rd team All-NBA season... ONE, in his entire career, that he got because of injuries and a season that amounted to... nothing.

he's a very good player... could be the third best player on a true contender, but you don't pay a 3rd best player on a title team 20 million dollars.

still... all this makes us look like buffoons, IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agreed... especially considering is the reality is that if Westbrook doesn't miss half of last season, Dragic isn't even 3rd Team. Contrary to what A LOT of people have said here, Dragic isn't an All-NBA player. He had a 3rd team All-NBA season... ONE, in his entire career, that he got because of injuries and a season that amounted to... nothing.

he's a very good player... could be the third best player on a true contender, but you don't pay a 3rd best player on a title team 20 million dollars.

Its going to be interesting to see what kind of GM McD is. How he handles this situation will be telling. A good GM in this moment doesn't care how anything makes him look and just focuses on the situation in front of him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its going to be interesting to see what kind of GM McD is. How he handles this situation will be telling. A good GM in this moment doesn't care how anything makes him look and just focuses on the situation in front of him.

if they just sit tight and hope he comes back next season, i start seriously thinking McD is a moron... and if he ends up coming back and pays him 20 million per... I think the same thing.

they tried this experiment... it didn't work and no one's happy. they hitched their wagon to Bledsoe, now for good or bad, they have to ride it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Meh, we tried something different and it didn't work out.

For all of the Dragic jockers - can any one of you say that you'd be comfortable paying him 20 million per season?

I'd love to see the justification of paying a guy who's not even a top 10 player at his position anywhere near that.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
if they just sit tight and hope he comes back next season, i start seriously thinking McD is a moron

The questionable thing about McD is that most of his "genius" moves have been assisted by his former celtic buddies:

Green/Miles Trade (Larry Bird)
Bledsoe Trade (Doc Rivers)
Brandon Wright (Danny Ainge)

He did get choose Len and signed Keif and IT for cheap, so I'll still give him some credit.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If McDonough tries something like this it would be the dumbest move by any GM in recent years. Think about this.

Already there had to be underlying bad blood or this wouldn't be happening. Now, if they keep him he has to go back and play at a place he dislikes greatly. Thomas is also going to be pissed off because he knows that the Suns wanted to ship him out. It's possible the 3 PG's wouldn't pass the ball to each other the rest of the season. Iso ball would go to a new all time high. Chemistry will be awful and they'll start losing. Playoffs are out fo the question.

Then, somehow they would hope to smooth things over and resign Dragic. Several teams will throw him a max contract. The only way possible way they keep him is to offer him a contract for 5 years at 105 mil. Almost zero chance he even takes that since he can go anywhere. Remember, he hates playing with Bledsoe.

After all this, if they somehow convince him to sign here, he still has to play with Bledsoe next year and then Bledsoe will be the one pissed off.

Just do the smart thing, McDonough. Get the best deal you can now and move on.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just find it funny that many here are trying to down Dragic saying he isn't that good or whatever and yet EVERY team's forum and every team media person is posting or tweeting their dream scenario about trying to land Dragic.

Lol yea he must be so bad that the rest of the NBA is trying to get him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson