Dragic will not sign extension with Suns

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't mad that he left... the Suns should have moved him a couple of years sooner, but it hurt that he went to the Lakers.

This is worse- unlike the Nash decision, this (or what ended up leading to this) is a terrible basketball decision. If he goes to LA, they sign Love and get some defenders and shooters around them, this will hurt more than Nash.

The Lakers built around Love and Dragic would be fine with me. They'd gobble up their cap space on a duo that would make them a 41-41 team for years to come. They would need to land some absolute monster defenders to make that a viable roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And we're still on the outside looking into the playoffs. If "every" move was perfectly managed, we'd be a lock for the playoffs and wouldn't piss off the most loyal player to Phoenix in quite some time.

The Suns went from a team that drafted well, collected valuable assets and shattered expectations by overachieving to a complete dumpster over some tweets 1 hour ago. Gotta remember that fan is short for fanatic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns went from a team that drafted well, collected valuable assets and shattered expectations by overachieving to a complete dumpster over some tweets 1 hour ago. Gotta remember that fan is short for fanatic.

I will have to wait to the trade deadline to see how it shakes out. Clearly the Suns wanted Bledsoe more than Dragic.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Drafted well? The Suns drafted two players we never use (Warren and Ennis), and while Len is progressing, he is nowhere near matching his value as the #5 pick from last season.

You can't argue that the team is in better shape now than in years past. It's still run by a shi!ty owner, a GM who makes head scratching signings/draft selections, and the coaching is being called into question.

This isn't a "fanatic" overreaction; this is an analysis of the current landscape of the team. I don't like it, and neither to a majority of fans of the team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This isn't a "fanatic" overreaction; this is an analysis of the current landscape of the team. I don't like it, and neither to a majority of fans of the team.

And we didn't like it last summer either, but the Faithful kept telling us that we were imagining things, because every move McDonough made was genius by definition.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Couple of things to look at here when it comes to Dragic, McD, and the Suns as currently constructed.

Going into the offseason last year when McD took over, one thing was clear. He wanted to trade just about anything of value outside of Dragic and start over. The plan was clearly to tank the season, and start building through the draft. I was on board with the strategy and it made me feel good as a fan to have some direction. As much as I enjoyed the team last season, their success, and their chemistry, the worst thing that could've happened, happened. They were good! It threw a monkey wrench in McD's whole plan. He suddenly went from building, to trying to win in the blink of an eye and he's been behind the 8 ball since and kind of in limbo between still trying to build and acquire assets, and figuring out a way to keep an slightly above average team in the playoff hunt. The lines became blurred.

This brings in to play the Bledsoe situation. The Suns acquired him thinking he'd be the future even though they had Goran, who at the time was coming off a pretty good season on a really bad team in his first year as a full time starter. I'm not convinced that prior to last season that Dragic was really in the long term building plans of the Suns. That went to Bledsoe. Lo and behold, Goran blossomed into an All NBA player last year, which again, put pressure on McD to consider the long term future with Goran, as he has clearly been the fan favorite here. The Suns clearly panicked on Bledsoe and signed him to his big contract after whiffing on LBJ and Love, but not before going after IT and bringing him in because for some reason, we can't seem to live without having 2 PG's on the floor. It was always a strange signing to me, but once Bled was signed to the extension, it got even weirder.

It hasn't worked this year in terms of players being happy sharing the PG role and playing out of position and now Goran wants out. I don't blame him for wanting to go. He deserves a shot to be the guy at his position and get paid for it. I don't like the way it shook out, and I don't like that it was the signing of IT that changed to course the team was going. However, I do feel the Suns can come out of this okay.

I wanted Goran here long term. I really did, but I didn't want so much money tied up in that position when we have a need for some size and balance. This may give us the chance to truly rebuild, and I still have confidence in McD's ability to build a team. He's done enough positive to keep my faith, but as fans, I think we need to step back a little let this play out before such doom and gloom takes over the board. I think some reactions are a bit extreme, but everyone is certainly entitled to feel how they feel. This is coming from someone who love Dragic and is deeply vested into the franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah we really need to calm down and see what they can get out of dragic before overreacting too much. Bledsoe is younger and has plenty of upside. If they can parlay something good for goran we may come out ahead honestly.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I detached myself emotionally from this team several years ago when i just could no longer support the ignorant philosophy of trying to jumpshoot and smallball your way to a championship...but at least the Suns were a functioning organization, despite being flawed.

Now? What a mess. I feel for you guys who are still so heavily invested in the team.
An ownership enema would seem to be a good idea at this point IMO.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Indiana is one of the teams on his list. I want Paul George. Trade Goran Zoran and PJ Tucker. We have the best training staff in the league.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the first question is if Bledsoe is overpaid at $14 million/season how much is a correct salary? $12 million? The second question is even if he had taken that salary we are looking at probably at least $16 million for for Dragic. If he was having another season like last year we might be looking at even $20 million and still really no guarantee that he's going to stay. Are we all happy having those two at a cost of around $30 million?

Like I said, I'm not a fan of how they've played Dragic this season either, but I can at least appreciate the situation they were in last summer. I think the part I like least about all of this is the sudden and public attempt to move Thomas. At this point I would keep him, tried to explain to him why you panicked and tried to move him. Play Bledsoe 34 minutes night, Thomas about what he's playing now… 26 minutes and never go a minute without one of them on the court. 12 minutes per game of the two point guards. I can live with that. I'd also tell Thomas to push the ball every chance he gets. Could tell Bledsoe the same thing, but he doesn't seem as inclined to do it.

I'm not terribly excited about watching my favorite player get traded. Like I said though at least it will make the trading deadline a little more interesting, and I'm kind of anxious to see what happens from here.

Eric or Ernnknight, if LA keeps with the fourth worst record what are the odds of them falling outside the top five after the lottery?

Joe

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Okay, so the first question is if Bledsoe is overpaid at $14 million/season how much is a correct salary? $12 million? The second question is even if he had taken that salary we are looking at probably at least $16 million for for Dragic. If he was having another season like last year we might be looking at even $20 million and still really no guarantee that he's going to stay. Are we all happy having those two at a cost of around $30 million?

Like I said, I'm not a fan of how they've played Dragic this season either, but I can at least appreciate the situation they were in last summer. I think the part I like least about all of this is the sudden and public attempt to move Thomas. At this point I would keep him, tried to explain to him why you panicked and tried to move him. Play Bledsoe 34 minutes night, Thomas about what he's playing now… 26 minutes and never go a minute without one of them on the court. 12 minutes per game of the two point guards. I can live with that. I'd also tell Thomas to push the ball every chance he gets. Could tell Bledsoe the same thing, but he doesn't seem as inclined to do it.

I'm not terribly excited about watching my favorite player get traded. Like I said though at least it will make the trading deadline a little more interesting, and I'm kind of anxious to see what happens from here.

Eric or Ernnknight, if LA keeps with the fourth worst record what are the odds of them falling outside the top five after the lottery?

Joe

Reasonable as usual Joe. I like Goran a ton, but not at 16-20 million. I'll be sad to see him go, but look forward to the trade/next couple of moves.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Reasonable as usual Joe. I like Goran a ton, but not at 16-20 million. I'll be sad to see him go, but look forward to the trade/next couple of moves.

$16m for Dragic playing like last year alongside Bledsoe (and Bledsoe being sufficiently team focussed - his role in this, I think, can't go unnoticed) and I'd totally be okay with it.

We pick up Stoudemire off waivers, Warren's getting burn - we're looking good for the next few years.

Now we're in Limbo praying that Bledsoe isn't a one man (no-team) show.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few sites are reporting that Dragic wants to be the man and run the show on a team, specifically like Curry in Golden State.

If this is true... has his agent gotten to him? I mean, seriously, even his most ardent supporters on here have to realize that Dragic is not in Curry's realm. Dragic as "the man" on a team leads to a squad that would struggle to win 35 games.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To everyone that's saying "Goran's selfish, see its been reported that wants to leave PHX even if we traded IT so Goran doesn't like playing with Bledsoe either, here's some news for you:

The Suns, who traded Dragic in 2011, traded for Bledsoe in 2013 when he was one of the most-sought trade commodities and created a dual-playmaker backcourt. Dragic thrived when Bledsoe missed half of the season and they ultimately found chemistry for a 48-win season.

Dragic was content in that set-up but the addition of another starting-quality point guard in Thomas has put Dragic almost exclusively off the ball no matter if Thomas or Bledsoe are paired with him or if the Suns are in a three-point-guard lineup.

Even if the Suns traded Thomas, Dragic's mind appears to be set on leaving Phoenix in July free agency. A change of heart has not been ruled out but is portrayed as doubtful because Dragic's camp considers the perceived breach of trust to be irrevocable.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-suns-he-wont-re-sign-after-season/23595011/

So PLEASE quit with the BS that Dragic doesn't like playing with Bledsoe or whatever. Paul Coro is closer to the team than any of you and anyone else in the media. Take his word over anyone else's 10 times out of 10.

Dragic lost the trust in the FO after the FO went and rewarded him for his excellent play from last season by signing and drafting every PG in sight.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A few sites are reporting that Dragic wants to be the man and run the show on a team, specifically like Curry in Golden State.

If this is true... has his agent gotten to him? I mean, seriously, even his most ardent supporters on here have to realize that Dragic is not in Curry's realm. Dragic as "the man" on a team leads to a squad that would struggle to win 35 games.

Propaganda machine in play; Dragic is not the bad guy. We screwed a great situation for him so the fallout should focus on the club, not Dragic.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For those of you who only read stats and hardly ever actually watch the games, here's a post I got from another team forum in which their fans were talking about maybe getting IT:

People who post IT's stats over and over seem to be missing the fact that NBA teams don't want him. I'm all for stats and efficiency and skills, all of which IT has in spades. Yet no one wants him that much. Why?

He was uber-efficient in Sacramento, but never got off the bench despite playing behind Vazquez, who was and isn't good.

He was let go in RFA by the Kings for nothing. Not even a feeble attempt to retain him.

He signed for just slightly more than PGs such as perennial backup Collison and nearly out of the league Livingston. Basically he got Jodie Meeks money.

Phoenix signed him simply because they thought he was good value. Not because he'd help them win or make them better, but because he's good value.

Phoenix has not shown overall team record improvement. Actually got worse given that Bledsoe's fully healthy this year.

He's now being traded not because his value is high, but because another player is pissed off.

Finally, teams aren't lining up to ask for his services despite having a relatively small contract.

I think at some point, people need to look past his stats. I don't know why he's being thought so little of. His efficiency's great. He can score in volume. His defense isn't "that bad." Yet teams aren't really interested in him. Clearly there's more behind the scenes.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For those of you who only read stats and hardly ever actually watch the games, here's a post I got from another team forum in which their fans were talking about maybe getting IT:

IT has skills - mad skills - they probably just need to be utilised correctly. If Dragic goes then maybe we can fit him in better without pi$$ing the rest of the team off. I'd hazard a guess and say IT and Green make one or the other redundant and, considering IT's output, I'd stick with him first i.e. offload Green.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
sunsfan88 any chance you follow Dragic to whatever team he is going to?
Nope. I know you must be loving this news about Dragic though.
IT has skills - mad skills - they probably just need to be utilised correctly. If Dragic goes then maybe we can fit him in better without pi$$ing the rest of the team off. I'd hazard a guess and say IT and Green make one or the other redundant and, considering IT's output, I'd stick with him first i.e. offload Green.
Green is probably easier to move since he's on an expiring contract. LAC is reportedly interested in him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Love how SirStefan casually throws in the term "all-nba player" for Goran Dragic. As if anyone believes that Goran Dragic is truly an all-nba caliber player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Propaganda machine in play; Dragic is not the bad guy. We screwed a great situation for him so the fallout should focus on the club, not Dragic.

I don't buy it. Its a team that missed the playoffs and had bad depth in the back court. Signing IT (whom I'm not wild about) may have been over kill but to categorize it as breech of trust is a joke. The only thing I could see as an actual breech was giving his brother playing time. Signing Zoran was a mistake because he probably was hoping to actually see the court (unfortunately he sucks) and I don't doubt its factored into Goran's disgruntled ways.

Goran's struggles are more related to the lack of a pick and roll partner than anything else IMO. He was having a relapse year before we started giving the 3 PG lineup much PT. I'm sure neither he nor his agent are willing to accept that as the real problem, so instead we get to deal with this melodrama.

The Suns, as a non-playoff team, should be willing to bring in talent wherever they can find it, and Goran is a good player, but not good enough to be bending over backwards for.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Miami, Knicks and Lakers - 3 terrible teams with no trade assets. Seems Dragic wants to increase his star power more than anything else and get paid.

Miami : we better not get stuck with Deng. Our SF spot is already flooded and Deng is barely an upgrade over Tucker.
Miami can't trade 1st round picks.
The only pieces on that team that are interesting are Hassan Whiteside and maybe Chris Bosh.
Summary: No way we trade with them.

Lakers:
Their entire roster is worthless. They can't trade picks besides the Rockets pick which is worth very little. Julius Randle is iffy.
Summary: Randle and removing the remaining pick protection are the only pieces they have to offer.

Knicks
Another team with absolutely nothing to offer.

The Rockets are the only team that could trade for Dragic.

They got the Pelicans pick to start plus some relatively young prospects in Motiejunas, Jones, Capela, Beverly that could go to the Suns or a 3rd team.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't buy it. Its a team that missed the playoffs and had bad depth in the back court. Signing IT (whom I'm not wild about) may have been over kill but to categorize it as breech of trust is a joke. The only thing I could see as an actual breech was giving his brother playing time. Signing Zoran was a mistake because he probably was hoping to actually see the court (unfortunately he sucks) and I don't doubt its factored into Goran's disgruntled ways.

Goran's struggles are more related to the lack of a pick and roll partner than anything else IMO. He was having a relapse year before we started giving the 3 PG lineup much PT. I'm sure neither he nor his agent are willing to accept that as the real problem, so instead we get to deal with this melodrama.

The Suns, as a non-playoff team, should be willing to bring in talent wherever they can find it, and Goran is a good player, but not good enough to be bending over backwards for.

Bledsoe at $14m, Dragic at $16m and an understanding that last year is the blueprint of how we should play - my preference, not a difficult aim, and we gone and blown it. Posted this on RealGM:

Fault For This Mess Allocation:

1. RMcD's fault (signing Thomas, weird negotiation with Bledsoe, putting together an unbalanced roster) - 40%

2. Eric Bledsoe (no communication during negotiation possibly leading to the IT signing in the first place, hard balling suns for too much money, dominating the ball more this season thinking he's the man) - 25%

3. Orlando Magic (for upsetting Dragic's play by paying Frye way, way waaay too much (PER < 10; no wonder they hate him over there) - 15%

4. Hornacek (for letting the inmates run the asylum) - 10%

5. IT (complaining about minutes at the start of the season, ball hogging) - 5% (can't blame him for being himself, blame RMcD instead.

6. Dragic (for not being more diplomatic if the Suns have offered to trade IT and he doesn't care and sold them down anyway) - 5% (whatever he does can pretty much be forgiven cause he got shaaafted).