Dragic will not sign extension with Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubt it. Its hard to picture Goran going and lighting it up with a contender, which is the only way it would qualify as among the Suns worst trades ever.

Heck, depending on what we get for him (removal of protection from the Laker pick?) it might be looked at as one of our best moves ever.

It could be if the cards fell just right. Maybe the Suns had already made their decision when they signed Bledsoe or the writing was on the wall.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Drama? This is the current landscape of the Suns. The organization is nowhere near as appealing as it was ~10 years ago for current and potential players. Players are disgruntled and there are no clearly-defined roles on the roster. This team is mismanaged from ownership all the way down to the ball boys. Unless McD can swing a trade for an elite front court player, he's screwed this up royally.

This team is mismanaged yet every move from the past two years was perfectly managed. Hmmm.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
it's hard to argue with this.

Gonna be hard to sell this team as a FA destination after this. I'm sure others will say no, but that's gonna be a hard argument to make when a generally well liked guy, coming off an ALL-NBA season tells his team to shove it up their ass one year later.

Its gonna be hard to sell us a FA destination and no rookie will actually want to play for the Suns either considering how terrible we are at playing them.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cannot believe this is happening. I would rather keep the 3 guard system then lose Goran. Pathetic that it is even considered not keeping him and dumping IT for nothing in return.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cannot believe this is happening. I would rather keep the 3 guard system then lose Goran. Pathetic that it is even considered not keeping him and dumping IT for nothing in return.

Huh? You realize that Goran wants to leave because of the 3 guard system right?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Reports seem to indicate Dragic (Well, Duffy) made it clear that dumping IT would not change anything. Demotion in favor of Bledsoe is the real problem, I think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The reports are trading IT would not have made any difference. Dragic wants to lead his own team like Curry.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it if they did this.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Suns could choose to stay on course of recent days: Trade Isaiah Thomas, then spend rest of season convincing Dragic to stay. Risky, though.

If you think about it, we're not gonna get that great offers anyway. Its worth the risk to keep a guy like Goran and to somehow try and convince him otherwise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you think about it, we're not gonna get that great offers anyway. Its worth the risk to keep a guy like Goran and to somehow try and convince him otherwise.

If the Suns get a good offer for Dragic they better take it barring trading Bledsoe.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reports seem to indicate Dragic (Well, Duffy) made it clear that dumping IT would not change anything. Demotion in favor of Bledsoe is the real problem, I think.

If thats the case then good riddance. We'd be an older and worse team if we'd dumped Bledsoe in favor of Dragic, we also would have lost Bledsoe for nothing while we can get something of value for Goran.

He is not a true PG, he also cannot defend PGs... and the team played better with him as a SG. If he cares more about his own positioning than anything else then I don't want him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Some players don't want to play with other good players. They want to get paid and be the man. Even Curry needs help to run a team like Curry.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

You can't convince an All-NBA player to stay, demoted in favor of a nobody.
Damage has been done, it's irreversible, so try to get something out of it so it's not a total loss.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Some players don't want to play with other good players. They want to get paid and be the man. Even Curry needs help to run a team like Curry.

Well, hold on now- you are misrepresenting Duffy. Dragic doesn;t mind playing with good players. he simply wants to play his position and not play SG half the game and SF for the other half.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its funny to me that Bledsoe, as a free agent, tries to get the best offer he can... people kill him for it, Nash, as a free agent, ends up forcing his way to the Lakers, people kill him for it... Goran, while under contract, expresses his desire to leave (and chooses some vile destinations) and his Sainthood is not only still intact but he is being elevated to martyrdom and this will now be some horrible black mark on the organization.

How did he achieve this level of veneration? I do not know. I was pissed off when we traded him for Brooks, because it was so obviously a terrible basketball descision, but from a pure basketball and team success standpoint of the CURRENT situation... losing Goran is hardly a tragedy. If we trade him for a pick then, yeah, the team will probably sink down the standings, because in the short term we will have lost our 3rd best player for future asset, but we're talking about the 3rd best player (and one of the oldest) on a struggling, mid-level team.

This is not going to cause condemnation from future free agents, none of them will give a rats ass about the Goran Dragic affair.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If thats the case then good riddance. We'd be an older and worse team if we'd dumped Bledsoe in favor of Dragic, we also would have lost Bledsoe for nothing while we can get something of value for Goran.

He is not a true PG, he also cannot defend PGs... and the team played better with him as a SG. If he cares more about his own positioning than anything else then I don't want him.

Good! He doesn't want you either. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, hold on now- you are misrepresenting Duffy. Dragic doesn;t mind playing with good players. he simply wants to play his position and not play SG half the game and SF for the other half.

And there are those who thought Dragic was not a PG. I was not one of those.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't been this mad in regards to Suns related stuff since Ron Artest hit the game 5 buzzer beater against us in the 2010 WCFs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been this mad in regards to Suns related stuff since Ron Artest hit the game 5 buzzer beater against us in the 2010 WCFs.

How about Nash going to the Lakers?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This team is mismanaged yet every move from the past two years was perfectly managed. Hmmm.

And we're still on the outside looking into the playoffs. If "every" move was perfectly managed, we'd be a lock for the playoffs and wouldn't piss off the most loyal player to Phoenix in quite some time.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
How about Nash going to the Lakers?

I wasn't mad that he left... the Suns should have moved him a couple of years sooner, but it hurt that he went to the Lakers.

This is worse- unlike the Nash decision, this (or what ended up leading to this) is a terrible basketball decision. If he goes to LA, they sign Love and get some defenders and shooters around them, this will hurt more than Nash.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, he's not a perfect, pure point guard, but he is more of a point guard than either of the other two. He is also more a PG than he is a SG or SF.

He is best suited in a role like Manu, a PG/SG combo ball handler/off ball/transition guy. Yes, he can put up some nice PPG stats as a solo PG but it does not translate to team being any better. His instinct is to score, it always has been, the guy is more SG than anything else. I do agree SF is not good for him, and I'd prefer IT be dumped, hell, I'd let IT (and Green) go regardless of what happens with Goran.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Duffy clearly cares about his clients wins by preferring the Lakers and Knicks ;) . His #1 priority is getting his client the most money possible and nobody overpays like desperate large market teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he's not a perfect, pure point guard, but he is more of a point guard than either of the other two. He is also more a PG than he is a SG or SF.

On this we agree. I wanted the Suns to keep Dragic more than Bledsoe but the Suns cast their lot with that huge contract. I do think Dragic can run a team with talent. Now I have to accept it and move on... like trading Steve Nash although most Suns fans knew it was time to move on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson