Draft - one week out - what do the Cardinals do with #4?

What do the Cards do with #4

• Keep - select other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Right now I think Monti is going to have to be blown away by a Vikings offer to drop all the way to 11. Even Kiper says he has to add one of the top 3 receivers.

A swap with the Giants may be possible if their 2025 first is involved. Otherwise welcome to Arizona MHJ!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right now I think Monti is going to have to be blown away by a Vikings offer to drop all the way to 11. Even Kiper says he has to add one of the top 3 receivers.

A swap with the Giants may be possible if their 2025 first is involved. Otherwise welcome to Arizona MHJ!
I saw a deal in which we got the 24&25 seconds from the giants and I would be fine with that. Their second this year will likely net a better player than their first next year.
This is an excellent draft to have top 50 picks

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I saw a deal in which we got the 24&25 seconds from the giants and I would be fine with that. Their second this year will likely net a better player than their first next year.
This is an excellent draft to have top 50 picks

If do two 2’s and pray the Chargers pass on MHJ (not likely). Having five picks from 27-71 is pretty valuable and we’d have more ammo for next year’s draft.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They are sticking with Kyler Murray because they like Kyler Murray.

The new coach and new GM do not have the option of showing KM the door so they might as well pronounce that they ‘like him.’ They have already got rid of KM’s moves as GM (Moore, Hollywood, Hopkins) while other players left via retirement or requested trade (Fitz, Green, Errz).

KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned. As soon as it is economically feasible to move on from KM, best believe the Cards will do it. The new FO will want their QB under center and using play-action instead of dancing around from the shotgun. Their careers depend upon their choice of the most important position. The occasional scampers and playground splash plays KM offers are not a sustainable playbook to march to the playoffs and beyond. For KM’s survival, the designed runs have to be toned down. Too risky to send an undersized QB on runs given he went down already with a non-contact knee.

KM is currently rated as a ‘middle-of-the-pack’ starting QB. A lot of QBs have already surpassed what KM offers. There are a dozen+ QBs who are already better than KM and several others with a more promising future. One rating of all the 66 QB who started a game in 2023 had KM at #23. 14 teams make the playoffs—how far will the Cards go with a QB who is not even in the top 14?

KM had his ‘fifteen minutes of fame’ under KK and is destined to be a backup (at best) once this huge contract runs its course. KM is a second-tier QB and the Cards will be lucky to approach .500—which is on track for a QB who has a career mark under .500.

I realize this forum is pretty much a closed system with a dozen or so old-timers controlling the opinions. Personal affection from the fan base for KM is not going to change what KM can do on the field. The flaws in his game are baked-in and hard-wired going forward. His flaws are also in the game plan for all the D-coordinators and will keep the Cards from the playoffs next year—and beyond. Maybe KM will get to .500 for his career and pass for 4,000 yards in a season? Don't bet on it.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score

I think the giants can get mcarthy at 6. Could he fall like Mac jones and levis in recent years after being hyped up as possible too 5 picks?

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Trade #4 for a truckload of picks, then Monte finds a way to get back to MHJ but still comes out ahead… say an extra 2nd or 3rd.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think the giants can get mcarthy at 6. Could he fall like Mac jones and levis in recent years after being hyped up as possible too 5 picks?
Just as soon as everyone realizes all the JJ hype is coming from his coach...who now owns a pick that increases in value if quarterbacks go 1-4

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new coach and new GM do not have the option of showing KM the door so they might as well pronounce that they ‘like him.’ They have already got rid of KM’s moves as GM (Moore, Hollywood, Hopkins) while other players left via retirement or requested trade (Fitz, Green, Errz).

KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned. As soon as it is economically feasible to move on from KM, best believe the Cards will do it. The new FO will want their QB under center and using play-action instead of dancing around from the shotgun. Their careers depend upon their choice of the most important position. The occasional scampers and playground splash plays KM offers are not a sustainable playbook to march to the playoffs and beyond. For KM’s survival, the designed runs have to be toned down. Too risky to send an undersized QB on runs given he went down already with a non-contact knee.

KM is currently rated as a ‘middle-of-the-pack’ starting QB. A lot of QBs have already surpassed what KM offers. There are a dozen+ QBs who are already better than KM and several others with a more promising future. One rating of all the 66 QB who started a game in 2023 had KM at #23. 14 teams make the playoffs—how far will the Cards go with a QB who is not even in the top 14?

KM had his ‘fifteen minutes of fame’ under KK and is destined to be a backup (at best) once this huge contract runs its course. KM is a second-tier QB and the Cards will be lucky to approach .500—which is on track for a QB who has a career mark under .500.

I realize this forum is pretty much a closed system with a dozen or so old-timers controlling the opinions. Personal affection from the fan base for KM is not going to change what KM can do on the field. The flaws in his game are baked-in and hard-wired going forward. His flaws are also in the game plan for all the D-coordinators and will keep the Cards from the playoffs next year—and beyond. Maybe KM will get to .500 for his career and pass for 4,000 yards in a season? Don't bet on it.

Oh nos!! Someone rated him #23. You got me there. I can see how that affirms your opinion he is only a NFL back up since we only have 22 teams in the league.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cards wanted off Murray this was absolutely the year to do it. Flush with cap space, multiple teams desperate for a QB, a top 4 pick with 4 QBs...

They chose not to. I get that when you spam the same opinion across multiple threads you have convinced yourself of your opinion and are trying to form reality around your bias...

But that's all it is. An ill informed opinion desperately seeking confirmation across multiple areas of the board.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned.
on what planet would kyler murray have to "look for a new team"? first of all he'd have to be a free agent but regardless - teams would be lining up - not only is kyler murray an above average quarterback - there's also a lack of qb talent in the league right now

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Monti and Gannon absolutely could have gotten off Murray's contract this off-season with very little pain.
KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned.
That's funny because Payton said he'd love to work with Murray when he wasn't a coach.
As soon as it is economically feasible to move on from KM, best believe the Cards will do it.
It was economically feasible this off-season.
The new FO will want their QB under center and using play-action instead of dancing around from the shotgun. Their careers depend upon their choice of the most important position. The occasional scampers and playground splash plays KM offers are not a sustainable playbook to march to the playoffs and beyond. For KM’s survival, the designed runs have to be toned down. Too risky to send an undersized QB on runs given he went down already with a non-contact knee.
Right his first injury was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with his short (squatty) stature.
KM is currently rated as a ‘middle-of-the-pack’ starting QB.
Middle of the pack because he had a down 2021 where he was hurt and missed most of 2022. At the end of the season he started to turn the corner.
A lot of QBs have already surpassed what KM offers. There are a dozen+ QBs who are already better than KM and several others with a more promising future.
How many of these dozen+ QBs are available? This is where your argument falls apart.
One rating of all the 66 QB who started a game in 2023 had KM at #23. 14 teams make the playoffs—how far will the Cards go with a QB who is not even in the top 14?
How many of those QBs were throwing to Dortch and Wilson at the end of the year?
And all of this...he's still on track to break most Cardinals passing records over the next few years.
I realize this forum is pretty much a closed system with a dozen or so old-timers controlling the opinions.
We've debated this topic at length over the past few years. Pretty pretentious for you to show up and try and type cast us.
Personal affection from the fan base for KM is not going to change what KM can do on the field. The flaws in his game are baked-in and hard-wired going forward.
When Murray had good receiver and moderately good OL he was a pretty good player.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh nos!! Someone rated him #23. You got me there. I can see how that affirms your opinion he is only a NFL back up since we only have 22 teams in the league.
I was making reference to an NFL.com article that rated all 66 QBS who started games in 2023. KM was rated at #23.

KM is currently not a back-up, He is a starter by virtue of his huge contract and cap hit. As soon as the Cards get past that financial mistake, he will at best be a back-up.

I missed the decision to reduce the NFL from 32 teams to 22 teams that you claim are in the league. Bet the fan base for those 10 teams that were eliminated are pretty upset.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was making reference to an NFL.com article that rated all 66 QBS who started games in 2023. KM was rated at #23.

KM is currently not a back-up, He is a starter by virtue of his huge contract and cap hit. As soon as the Cards get past that financial mistake, he will at best be a back-up.

I missed the decision to reduce the NFL from 32 teams to 22 teams that you claim are in the league. Bet the fan base for those 10 teams that were eliminated are pretty upset.
I think you're going to be pretty miserable as a Cardinals fan for the next decade. Gannon has done some long and detailed interviews about Kyler that go well beyond coach speak, he genuinely likes Murray. Monti had the option to dump Murray pain free this year and chose not to. Even with his flaws Kyler is the best QB the Cardinals have drafted in recent memory, probably ever. My bet is he will stay as a starter here at least until he is 36 years old.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Monti and Gannon absolutely could have gotten off Murray's contract this off-season with very little pain.
The restructured contract is just starting this season. Better check the dead money/cap hit going forward if the Cards did move him. It would cripple this season.

That's funny because Payton said he'd love to work with Murray when he wasn't a coach.
I guess he would like to get paid to work with Murray as an outside QB consultant and not a coach But, as a coach, he would give KM the same treatment he gave RWilson.

Middle of the pack because he had a down 2021 where he was hurt and missed most of 2022. At the end of the season he started to turn the corner.
You forgive two years as down years and he comes back and goes 3-5. I don't see that as some sort of ringing affirmation that he is going to rise above his career sub .500 play and now become a QB who will lead this team to the SB. A QB going into year 5 has had plenty of audition time to 'turn the corner.' KM is not going to turn a corner, he is stuck on the corner. As long as the Cards stick with him under the illusion that he is 'the guy' the team will spin their wheels at the bottom of the conference.

How many of these dozen+ QBs are available? This is where your argument falls apart.
Not sure what you are getting at here? I didn't suggest any kind of trade with the QBs rated ahead of KM. My point was that there are a dozen+ QBs ahead of KM.

How many of those QBs were throwing to Dortch and Wilson at the end of the year?
When Murray had good receiver and moderately good OL he was a pretty good player.

Take a tally of the receivers that KM had with him on the roster who are HOF candidates---Fitz, Hopkins, Green (check his career stats). KM had a say in bringing over Hollywood, and urged SK to draft Moore with a second. His poor ball placement led to Hopkin's injury, Green injury, even Fitz. He should have accomplished more with some of the stellar talent brought in for him.

We've debated this topic at length over the past few years. Pretty pretentious for you to show up and try and type cast us.

I've been off the forum for some time. In the past, I was a frequent poster (check my stats). I was one of the first to urge that the Cards trade P2 based on his play. Mitch (the favorite whipping dog on this forum) agreed with me. So, when I say there are a few old-timers who control this forum, I am not type-casting what is going on. Just look at the echo chamber of opinion here. Look at the response when someone dares to post an opinion contrary to what the old dogs are barking about.

PS KM is not our salvation. He is a future footnote of players we hung on to who got us nowhere.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Marvin Harrison Jr is the top ranked prospect on their draft board and they have the option to draft him at four and trade out for an added 1st rounder who will then be less of a qualified selection just to add to the crap shoot which is the draft... then Monti need not be the GM

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been a Cards fan since I saw them play as the Chicago Cardinals and Jim Brown pounded us into submission. Another decade of misery is a piece of cake.
Pretty cool. I think Kyler will surprise you. We're going to be an extremely young team so i expect us to have a mid season slide, but I think all Cardinals fans are going to have fun season.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Marvin Harrison Jr is the top ranked prospect on their draft board and they have the option to draft him at four and trade out for an added 1st rounder who will then be less of a qualified selection just to add to the crap shoot which is the draft... then Monti need not be the GM
I have to agree. It's automatic to pick MHJ if he is available

We need top talent players on the team and all signs point to him being the best WR in years to come out in the draft

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
General consensus is that this is a very good draft year with depth through 3 rounds

so: collecting additional picks in this years draft is a good strategy. Especially importatnt if you are trying to build a contending team with a QB on a 2nd contract. You need cheap talent.

If i were Monti: trading down from 4 is on the table assuming the right compensation AND being able to get back into the top 10 to get one of the top 3 WRs would be my strategy. Even then -- taking a top flight pass rusher or corner at the traded down spot is hardly the worst outcome.