Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree Edge!

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=74952
Source:
Cardinals in danger of losing the season
By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist
September 24, 2006

This is what one mishandled snap does to a football team: Fans boo quarterback Kurt Warner as he trots off the field.

Dennis Green questions the game plan of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and says he’s madder than he’s ever been as the Cardinals’ coach, “and I’ve had some bad-ass days since I’ve been here, believe me.”

Edgerrin James stands in front of his locker and says he wants the ball more.

The fuse has been lit. If Arizona doesn’t win in Atlanta on Sunday, the explosion might splinter the locker room — and rupture the season.

“Right now I’m speechless,” Anquan Boldin said.

We all are, Anquan. We all are.

There have been some heart-wrenching losses in the Cardinals’ 19 years in the Valley. There have been games when Arizona looked like a Pop Warner team.

But there never has been anything like this.

St. Louis 16, Arizona 14, and if you’re still shaking your head in disbelief this morning, trust me, you’re not alone.

“It’s ridiculous,” James said. “It’s a joke.”

That it was.

The Cardinals had a first down at the Rams’ 18-yard line with 1:46 left, thanks to St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger losing a fumble just 17 seconds earlier.

All they had to do was run a play or two, bring in Neil Rackers for the game-winning chip shot and celebrate.

Simple.

Then Warner fumbled the snap. And a team began to come apart at the seams. We’ll let others decode the hows and whys of the final 123 seconds. The more urgent matter is the bitter aftertaste the loss left.

Let’s start with Warner.

His fumble came after three interceptions — including one in the St. Louis end zone and one at the Rams’ 6-yard line — and for the first time, he was on the receiving end of the fans’ anger.

The calls for Matt Leinart began Sunday — premature though they may be — and they’re only going to get louder with every interception Warner throws.

“I’m not worried about that,” Warner said.

He should be worried, however, about his teammates losing confidence in him. Green and James both expressed their displeasure with Warner’s turnovers.

“It’s pretty obvious. You can’t have interceptions and you can’t have fumbles,” Green said.

Warner isn’t one bad throw away from losing his job. But if he has another bad game — or even a poor first half against Atlanta — it wouldn’t be a shock if Leinart got the call.

While Warner took responsibility for his mistakes — sounding, coincidentally, like an older version of Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter — Green pointed fingers at Pendergast, saying he thought Arizona shouldn’t have played as much single coverage on Rams wideouts Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

Green must have forgotten he’s the one who decided to start third-year journeyman Matt Ware at corner instead of veteran David Macklin. Ware was repeatedly and emphatically beaten by Holt, most notably on a second-quarter drive in which Holt caught three passes for 64 yards, including a touchdown.

The voice that sounded the loudest alarm, however, belonged to James.

He had 24 carries for 94 yards but said afterward that he believes he should get the ball even more.

“I was brought here to run the ball and help,” James said. “A lot of time I’m really not a part of it (the game plan). That’s the disappointment.

“When you don’t get the opportunities you’re not going to have success. When you’re running the ball you can’t expect to get 8 yards or 9 yards the first couple of plays. It’s a process. We can’t give up on the run.”

The bitterness and anger that seeped through the locker room will subside the next couple of days. The Cardinals will focus on Atlanta and try to forget about St. Louis.

But the scars will remain.

This is what one mishandled snap can do to a football team: Tear it apart.
Contact Scott Bordow by email, or phone (480) 898-6598

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with everything. Pendy's defensive calls have been curious to say the least, but you can't blame this loss on the defense.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculous... The defense had absolutely nothing to do with them losing this game. Sure Ware got schooled, but come on... The Defense gave up 16 points and the Offense turned the ball over 4 times (3 inside the 10 yard line).

Sadly, Denny is looking and sounding more and more like Buddy Ryan all the time.

OP
OP
D

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get it....Denny questions the defensive coordinator specifically in response to Ware's inability to cover Holt, and you're blasting Denny for it?

True, the defense didn't lose THIS game for us, but it will lose future ones if the DC doesn't adjust his coverage if needed. It looked to me that Clancy finally did, but only after Holt scorched us. Maybe by Denny publically saying something Clancy will be a little quicker next time...Who knows?:shrug:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scott Bordow will write to fit his speculations - he, along with other writers, love to stir up the pot. Journalism is a blood sport.

we can discuss your last sentence ad nauseum...you cannot be more correct..."they love" to stir up the pot" and it gets really bad when they march to the editorial beat of the paper they are writing for....usually on stuff not in the toy department as we talk about here!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I reiterate here my proposal on an earlier thread that we give all Cardinal players (who - in the heat of the moment - may have said stuff they wished they hadn't): a pass.

Forgive them for they were pissed...

Reaction score
DutchmanAZ said:
I don't get it....Denny questions the defensive coordinator specifically in response to Ware's inability to cover Holt, and you're blasting Denny for it?

True, the defense didn't lose THIS game for us, but it will lose future ones if the DC doesn't adjust his coverage if needed. It looked to me that Clancy finally did, but only after Holt scorched us. Maybe by Denny publically saying something Clancy will be a little quicker next time...Who knows?:shrug:
Read what you just wrote... and rethink that!

Green is Pendy's BOSS!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Read what you just wrote... and rethink that!

Green is Pendy's BOSS!!

What's to rethink? Of course Green is Clancy's boss, and is letting Clancy know he wasn't doing his job? Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
What's to rethink? Of course Green is Clancy's boss, and is letting Clancy know he wasn't doing his job? Am I missing something here?
If you don't do your job does your boss come directly to you or does he tell a third party to spread some gossip that your boss isn't satisfied with the job your doing.

Your implying that DG's operating mode is the latter. If the Cardinals coaching staff operates the way you suggest that would be a far greater problem in the club than Ware's weak coverage, or Warner's miscues!

OP
OP
D

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CL - that's not what I was trying to imply.
What I was trying to get acrossed is that Green is seeming to hold his coaches accountable. I agree that this was not the best way, but I've read posts on this board basically claiming that Green doesn't do that. I think this post proves otherwise, and raises another interesting issue as you've pointed out.