Diamondbacks made a “light” offer to Bumgarner

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about "your" definition of an Ace, but, imo, we are paying him like an Ace. :)
Earning half as much as we had signed Greinke for, what does "we are paying him like an Ace" mean exactly?

And, do you not agree that having Mad Bum at the top of our rotation is many times stronger than Robbie Ray?

The concept of a team Ace is not just about stats. It is about public perception of how a team wants to see
itself in its pursuit of making the playoffs. The players at the top of a category set the tone.

As I posted on the Suns site when a poster said he's for signing a certain player if the cost is "cheap", shouldn't
a fan's perspective be who will best fill a need? Whether it is cheap or not is the responsibility of the investors.

Of course, we are paying Mad Bum like an Ace. Our Ace! And filling an open slot at the top of the rotation.

Every team has an Ace -- the pitcher at the top of the rotation. Some are great, some are good, some are
not so good and some are pathetic. Post-Greinke and pre-Mad Bum, we were lingering in the pathetic class.
Now we are not!

I thank Mike Hazen for making it happen. And, at half the cost of Zack Greinke. :thumbup::thumbup:

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is basically playing for free next year. Wow whoever structured his contract is a piece of work...in a good way.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is basically playing for free next year. Wow whoever structured his contract is a piece of work...in a good way.

Genius move by Hazen. And at the press conference he acknowledged that this structuring gives them the salary flexibility this year to sign help in the line-up (presumably outfield and/or second base) and possibly bullpen. MadBum higher salaries kick in when Tomas comes off the books. Nice...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Surplus of starting pitchers. That is good to hear.

I hope that is surplus of good starting pitchers.

Now if only we could say the same about our
relievers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Surplus of starting pitchers. That is good to hear.

I hope that is surplus of good starting pitchers.

Now if only we could say the same about our
relievers.

If anything, if for some reason Hazen decides to trade Ray, at least he is now doing so from a position of strength, so hopefully he can get a better deal.

If we trade anyone on our 26-man roster, it is critical that we come away with at least one of the following, if not more: starting outfielder, starting second baseman, back-end reliever. Those are by far our biggest needs at this point.