David Lee?

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Heard rumors we may be looking to do a S&T for lee..so they can give stat another year on his deal and backload his contract...any truth to this? Any plausability or are we going to be stuck with hakkeeem the dream at pf?:bang:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See Paul Coro article at azcenral dated 7-6-10. It appears there are at least a few teams wanting to sign Lee as a FA. So the Suns getting him may be a long shot. The TPE might be more likely but the Suns have done everything in reverse.

A Lee contract would figure to be worth eight figures annually. The Suns would use the trade exception for Warrick, whom Chicago would sign for the Suns and get a second-round pick for its trouble.

Because of how many teams are interested in signing Lee as a free agent, a trade involving him is not as likely. A sign-and-trade deal with the Knicks then would net the Suns a $17 million trade exception.

A trade exception could be used in the next year to deal for a high-salary player rather than having to send back a Suns player - or package of players - of similar salary in a deal.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/06/20100706phoenix-suns-david-lee.html

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not high on Lee like some. He is a below average defender. He would help on the boards and help us gain some offense back. However, I don't want to sign another bad defending big man to a long term contract anyway.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not high on Lee like some. He is a below average defender. He would help on the boards and help us gain some offense back. However, I don't want to sign another bad defending big man to a long term contract anyway.
I'm with you on that. Lee's an upgrade over Warrick(obviously) but IMO David Lee's rebounding numbers are fool's gold ala Shawn Marion's days under Pringles.
I'd rather look elsewhere or wait for a more complete PF down the line somewhere.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. Lee's an upgrade over Warrick(obviously) but IMO David Lee's rebounding numbers are fool's gold ala Shawn Marion's days under Pringles.
I'd rather look elsewhere or wait for a more complete PF down the line somewhere.

Except both Lee and Marion avg 10 rebounds a game w/o dantoni.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well looks like the bar is set - Boozer just got 80/5 - 16 a year. I expect Lee to get 13-16 a year.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coro reporting that Lee might be traded to Warriors for Randolph, among others.
The Suns' possibility for a David Lee consolation prize that would provide instant help appears unlikely, leaving a giant trade exception as the best-case scenario for a return on Amar'e Stoudemire's departure.

An insider has said that Golden State and New York are close to a sign-and-trade deal that would include Lee going to the Warriors for a player package including Anthony Randolph (you know, the guy who was "untouchable" in last year's Stoudemire trade talks). This would also be predicated on LeBron James picking a team besides New York so that the Knicks would not have to renounce Lee's rights to sign James.

The Suns had expressed an interest in acquiring Lee for the right price, also as part of a sign-and-trade deal that would have included getting a trade exception to pay Hakim Warrick's agreement to sign with Phoenix.

If the Lee scenario is out of the equation, the Suns will either lose Stoudemire with nothing in return but lowering its payroll to avoid being a luxury tax team and have salary cap space next summer or they can execute sign-and-trade deals with New York (acquiring a $17 million trade exception for a second-round pick) and Chicago (sending a second-round pick and acquiring Hakim Warrick into part of that trade exception). Phoenix would then have a year to use the remaining $13 million of the trade exception to acquire a player making that much or less without returning any players, if desired.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/88410

Warriors did not want to give up Randolph for Amare, but apparently have no problem trading him for Lee? Or maybe the Suns front office is just really bad at making trades.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Coro reporting that Lee might be traded to Warriors for Randolph, among others.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/88410

Warriors did not want to give up Randolph for Amare, but apparently have no problem trading him for Lee? Or maybe the Suns front office is just really bad at making trades.

No, I think it's the Golden State front office that's really bad making trades. Let's not make EVERYTHING anti-Suns, huh?

The surprising thing to me is that David Lee would agree to sign a long contract with the Warriors. They must be offering A LOT of money on a contract.

Last edited:

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the Knicks would also be taking Monta Ellis' albatross of a contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, that means never... with Sarver as owner. There will not likely be any good PFs out there available this coming season or next. Maybe Horford but the Suns are not going to outbid anyone for a player. I'd rather Sarver spend the money on something tangible (yes even Lee) rather than put the money in his pocket. You know Sarver doesn't indulge using a large part of the TPE. I believe Sarver is just going to run the Suns on a tight budget until he sells the team... hopefully sooner than later.

Don't worry about the pro arguments for the the Suns signing Lee. He is going to a team that will show him the money. That's not the Suns I know.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I suspect the Knicks would also be taking Monta Ellis' albatross of a contract.

While I wouldn't want to be paying him that much it's hardly an albatross as they have turned down at least one really good offer(Mayo+Thabeet). The deal would likely involve Turiaf and expirings.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Why do the Knicks need another PF ? I don't want David Lee for big money either. If its a reasonable contract then yes but no way would it make sense to have him for a long deal at big money. Cap space is a much better thing to have going forward IMO.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think LBJ goes to NY, Lee goes to NJ and we are left to salivate over the great hakim warrick!!

Oh and I just read on either gambo or coros twitter that the suns will only go as high as 10m per year which basically means we arent getting him. I think he made 10m last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think LBJ goes to NY, Lee goes to NJ and we are left to salivate over the great hakim warrick!!

I read or heard somewhere that Dudley said Lebron was going to NY. He was early saying Amare would go to NY. I'll go with Dudley.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
While I wouldn't want to be paying him that much it's hardly an albatross as they have turned down at least one really good offer(Mayo+Thabeet). The deal would likely involve Turiaf and expirings.

He's really not that good. No defense, can't play point guard. Really only a volume chucker that has been given free reign by Don Nelson. I think he might be irredeemable at this point.

Anyways I think they're trying to clear out some of the bad contracts they handed out in recent years before Cohan sells.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If I was looking for a veteran PF, I'd be more interested in Haslem. He averaged 10 rpg and shot a career 49.9% plus has a career 8.1 rpg and last season had 8.1 rpg in 27.9 minuges a game (.29 rebounds per minute). This is roughly what KT did with the Suns 2005-06.

Haslem is a free agent. I don't know if anything can be done, but I think he's a much better bet than Lee.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's really not that good. No defense, can't play point guard. Really only a volume chucker that has been given free reign by Don Nelson. I think he might be irredeemable at this point.

Anyways I think they're trying to clear out some of the bad contracts they handed out in recent years before Cohan sells.

You don't need to convince me. I would have done that deal for Mayo and ran, I was just pointing out that at this point it's not an albatross since teams are will to trade for it.

To me guys like Ellis and Ben Gordon would be best suited as elite 6th men but they get paid like star players. I think Roddy Beaubois will end up in the same boat.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to convince me. I would have done that deal for Mayo and ran, I was just pointing out that at this point it's not an albatross since teams are will to trade for it.

To me guys like Ellis and Ben Gordon would be best suited as elite 6th men but they get paid like star players. I think Roddy Beaubois will end up in the same boat.

Gotcha. Personally I'd love to see him on New York with Amare "protecting" the paint and MikeD coaching up the defense. It'd be like the car accident you can't turn away from for 82 games a season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Oh and I just read on either gambo or coros twitter that the suns will only go as high as 10m per year which basically means we arent getting him. I think he made 10m last year.

I read or heard somewhere that Dudley said Lebron was going to NY. He was early saying Amare would go to NY. I'll go with Dudley.

I got a 6 pack of beer on Lebron to Miami.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I got a 6 pack of beer on Lebron to Miami.

If that's the case, I like Dos Equis (stay thirsty my friend) and I expect it on my doorstep by Monday :D

I'm pretty sure the order is NY then CLE. The #1 reason: $$$. When the dust settles, it is all about money. Cleveland can give him the biggest contract; however, New York provides a bigger marketing opportunity, which should cover the deficit between the two potential contracts.

Cleveland is still tempting because he is an Ohioan at heart and I think the calling from home is tugging on his heart strings.

Miami is tempting; however, after they sign LeBron, they will have about 6 or 7 players on contract which includes two rookies. This means depth is going to be a massive issue. In addition, although playing with two Olympians is tempting, in the end there just isn't enough balls to go around.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Garden seems like a good place for a self-important guy like Lebron. I'm guessing he goes to the Knicks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard