D'Antoni on Gambo & Ash

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Did anyone else listen to this last week? I haven't been on much the last few days, and I didn't see a topic. If there is a topic, I apologize in advance and mods please delete this thread.

Basically, I wasn't thrilled with his comments. I get a little sense of arrogance from him that I used to take as part of his sense of humor.

A few things that stuck out in my mind.

D'Antoni was asked whether or not he was concerned by the Suns lack of size. D'Antoni responds by saying that he hasn't been worried about it for 3 years, which gets the usual chuckle from the Gambo and Dave Byrnes.

Rab's Take

Why is he not more concerned with lack of size? He should be very concerned with their lack of size. Afterall, that's been one of the Suns main problems for those 3 years. Are we supposed to believe that this team is going to be as good or better than last year's just because Boris is playing a bigger role, and without Kurt we are somehow going to just blow by everyone in playoffs?

D'Antoni was asked about the Grant Hill situation, and whether the Suns were going to be like Orlando in how they gave him days off on back to backs. D'Antoni responds by saying that he trusts the Suns medical staff, and will be in constant contact with them in regards to Grant. In his mind however, Grant is feeling better than he has in years, and he fully expects Grant to play in all 82 games. Feels that even though we lost Kurt, we are gaining the Grant Hill of 10 years ago.

Rab's Take

I don't even know where to start here. The way he talked about Grant during the interview made me feel like Mike is banking on Grant Hill to be player that puts us over the top, even though he solves none of the major frontcourt holes. Also, he expects him to play all 82 games? I hope he will at least monitor his minutes. When was the last time Hill played all 82 even pre-ankle injuries? I'm too lazy to look it up. I like the Grant Hill signing and all, but I also don't bank on him being the difference here.

Mike was asked about Marcus Banks, and whether he was able to do enough in the summer league to gain Mike's confidence. D'Antoni responds and says that Marcus did play well in the one summer league game, and practiced well. Says that he likes Marcus' game, and he wants him to play. He signed Marcus, but he pretty much said that if he isn't contributing in the first month of the season, he isn't going to play.

Rab's Take

I was okay with this until he said he wouldn't play if he's not contributing after the first month. Marcus did have his good moments last year. He never really had a consistent chance barring the first month of the season to do anything. Yes he struggled, but he was new, and sometimes it takes more than a month to get used to the system, and the role in that system. I just don't like hearing the short leash comments anymore.

Asked about Boris Diaw returning to the Boris of 2 years ago. Mike said that Boris has worked hard this summer. He is in France getting ready to play, and that he has lost 10 lbs. Said the back injury really took away his confidence, and limited how he could move last season. Said he needs to get his confidence back.

Rab's Take

This is about the one positive I really took from the interview. I'm glad to hear that Boris has lost weight. I did think the combination of him coming to camp out of shape and then the back injury trashed his year. He really wasn't the same player as 2 years ago. I have my reserves about he and Amare being able to play together, but there is that little hope that they can. You can tell that Mike still has the man crush on Boris.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his mind however, Grant is feeling better than he has in years, and he fully expects Grant to play in all 82 games. Feels that even though we lost Kurt, we are gaining the Grant Hill of 10 years ago.

DA is out to lunch. Dude's 35 years old. That alone means we're not getting the Grant Hill of a decade ago, much less whatever the injuries have taken away from him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rab's Take

I was okay with this until he said he wouldn't play if he's not contributing after the first month. Marcus did have his good moments last year. He never really had a consistent chance barring the first month of the season to do anything. Yes he struggled, but he was new, and sometimes it takes more than a month to get used to the system, and the role in that system. I just don't like hearing the short leash comments anymore.

I think short leashes are detrimental to most player's confidence. I have noticed that some coaches will yank a player shortly after a mistake or two but they will put them back later in the game as a learning tool.

Apparently D'Antoni feels it's either the penthouse or the out-house.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA is out to lunch. Dude's 35 years old. That alone means we're not getting the Grant Hill of a decade ago, much less whatever the injuries have taken away from him.

I agree. I'm noticing the new front office including D'Antoni are becoming spin doctors. There's not much I dislike more. It degrades one's intelligence.

:lame:

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think short leashes are detrimental to most player's confidence. I have noticed that some coaches will yank a player shortly after a mistake or two but they will put them back later in the game as a learning tool.

Apparently D'Antoni feels it's either the penthouse or the out-house.
I couldn't agree more. He also said that he wants to win 60 games this year. Okay, that's fine, but I would sacrifice a couple wins here and there if it meant we'd have a better rotation going into the playoffs, and have players who are comfortable playing off the bench in case of injury or suspension.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the lack of progress in getting a big man in here I still think we are going to have a very good team....just not a title caliber team IMO.

I really hope the spinning coming out of the front office is not a sign of things to come for this organization. If your front office puts more effort into spinning things then actually making the team better then you know your in trouble.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm noticing the new front office including D'Antoni are becoming spin doctors.

and they're not even really good at it. I mean, if you're going to insult your fans' intelligence, at least do it well. Put a little effort into it!

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about PJ Brown. DA said they are going to wait him out, and not worry about getting someone else. He is their target.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about PJ Brown. DA said they are going to wait him out, and not worry about getting someone else. He is their target.

well, that's proactive. Good to let him know he's our only option. That doesn't favor him in negotiations or anything. Not that that ultimately matters since we're probably looking at him coming here for the WC Finalists discount rate!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well, that's proactive. Good to let him know he's our only option. That doesn't favor him in negotiations or anything. Not that that ultimately matters since we're probably looking at him coming here for the WC Semi-finalists discount rate!

FTFY

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I think PJ must be a lock. It just doesn't make sense, if he isn't. Sarver/Kerr/D'Antoni must be smart enough to figure that out? Aren't they? How could Sarver make soo much $$$, if he wasn't smart enough to have PJ as a lock?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What exactly do you want D'Antoni to say?

1. The Suns couldn't afford to keep KT so I'm sorry we'll suck.

2. We keep hoping PJ will sign and if he doesn't we'll suck.

3. Grant will break down and then we'll suck without him.

4. Marcus Banks has no idea how to play in a team concept, so I'll give him a few games to prove he's not a total loss then hope we can trade him.

Is this what you want to hear? I don't think so. These views may be accurate, but do you really want him to say so? Coaches have to put an upbeat spin on things. If they don't, they get fired.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree azirish 100% of course they have to be positive in public even though they may not really feel that way.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

4. Marcus Banks has no idea how to play in a team concept, so I'll give him a few games to prove he's not a total loss then hope we can trade him.

Is this what you want to hear? I don't think so. These views may be accurate, but do you really want him to say so? Coaches have to put an upbeat spin on things. If they don't, they get fired.

1. When we're told as fans that we are "so close to a title", and "money isn't going to be a huge issue this year", and then turn around and see picks/players go for nothing, it's a little alarming. The FO pretty much refuses to acknowledge that Kurt did anything good for the team, and that pisses me off.

2. How long can you wait for someone to make up their mind before it's too late to do anything to recover from the potential loss of not signing that player? Right now I'm fine with the wait, but for how long is the question. We can't not do anything.

3. A little dramatic don't you think? It's fine to be optimistic that he'll play more than last year and that maybe he'll be a little more healthy than years past, but to say we are getting the Grant Hill of 10 years ago? C'mon, that's a joke. They way he was going on about Grant, the more I felt he thought that he could more than makeup for the Kurt loss, which I don't buy for a second.

4. How do we really know? He's never really gotten a fair shake. He gets yanked after a month of not playing so well, and only gets another shot because Nash goes down (he played decent in those games BTW). It's not just Marcus, it's that we are probably going to see a short leash with other players again.

I know what you're saying George. I really do. Of course you don't want to hear the coach of your team to be negative all the time. I just don't like the arrogance. Most coaches can and will acknowledge if something needs to change that hasn't worked in the past, while at the same time putting a positive spin on it. Fine, that's cool, but there seems to be no sign of change in DA and that's a little alarming to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

being positive and being DELUSIONAL are two different things. His comments about a 25 year old Grant Hill are delusional.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. When we're told as fans that we are "so close to a title", and "money isn't going to be a huge issue this year", and then turn around and see picks/players go for nothing, it's a little alarming. The FO pretty much refuses to acknowledge that Kurt did anything good for the team, and that pisses me off.

2. How long can you wait for someone to make up their mind before it's too late to do anything to recover from the potential loss of not signing that player? Right now I'm fine with the wait, but for how long is the question. We can't not do anything.

3. A little dramatic don't you think? It's fine to be optimistic that he'll play more than last year and that maybe he'll be a little more healthy than years past, but to say we are getting the Grant Hill of 10 years ago? C'mon, that's a joke. They way he was going on about Grant, the more I felt he thought that he could more than makeup for the Kurt loss, which I don't buy for a second.

4. How do we really know? He's never really gotten a fair shake. He gets yanked after a month of not playing so well, and only gets another shot because Nash goes down (he played decent in those games BTW). It's not just Marcus, it's that we are probably going to see a short leash with other players again.

I know what you're saying George. I really do. Of course you don't want to hear the coach of your team to be negative all the time. I just don't like the arrogance. Most coaches can and will acknowledge if something needs to change that hasn't worked in the past, while at the same time putting a positive spin on it. Fine, that's cool, but there seems to be no sign of change in DA and that's a little alarming to me.

Rab, you and Cheesebeef are right on in your assessments. I've always been of the opinion I can handle the truth. I was a diehard Suns fan even through the drug scandal. I just ask the FO not to sugar the medication and tell me how good it tastes.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Rab,
4. How do we really know? He's never really gotten a fair shake. He gets yanked after a month of not playing so well, and only gets another shot because Nash goes down (he played decent in those games BTW).

Banks' reward for his decent play in those games Nash missed? 16 DNP's in the next 19 games. Pure coaching genius!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rab,

Banks' reward for his decent play in those games Nash missed? 16 DNP's in the next 19 games. Pure coaching genius!

Then he leads a comeback against the warriors in a game in which the only thing worse than the constant abuse nash was receiving on the defensive end was his awful decision making on offense. Banks looked really sharp in that game, but didn't really see much action for the rest of the season (I'm pretty sure he got a DNP the next game)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMHO, we always overrate how guys look in games and underestimate how important what they do in practice is.

I have no idea why D'Antoni stuck with Barbosa through some fairly poor periods and did not stick with Banks; but I have to think Banks was not buying into the system last season. I have hopes that he will do better, but considering Banks reputation with Boston I can understand why he might try D'Antoni's patience.

fordronken

Reaction score
Rab,

Even in his "good games" last season, the team really didn't play well. I do think that either Banks or Strawberry should be given a few months to find a role (and Tucker as well), because it will prepare them to play in the playoffs. However, team play is what's important, not Banks's numbers. And the team didn't play well when he was on the floor.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
and they're not even really good at it. I mean, if you're going to insult your fans' intelligence, at least do it well. Put a little effort into it!

D'Antoni looked defeated in that interview, much like he looked on draft night. I don't think he really believes what he's saying so I'm not suprised by the lack of effort. He didn't even try to pimp Marks the way Kerr has.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson