Coyotes sign Fedoruk, Sauer

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
The Coyotes addressed two key needs on the first day of the NHL free agency period: defense and toughness.

The signing of Kurt Sauer from the Colorado Avalanche helped shore up a defensive gap created when the Coyotes traded Keith Ballard and Nick Boynton to the Florida Panthers for center Olli Jokinen. And with left wing Todd Fedoruk, the Coyotes get a physical player who amassed almost 140 penalty minutes last season with the Minnesota Wild and Dallas Stars.

The Coyotes lost two players Tuesday, forwards Radim Vrbata (Tampa Bay) and Craig Weller (Minnesota) but also signed their two first-round draft choices for three years.

And although the team was not involved in any blockbuster deals, General Manager Don Maloney said he was happy where things stood.

"Simply, the market for defensemen went really high, and we were able to get Kurt Sauer under contract to a reasonable deal, in my estimation, that made some economic sense to us, and I just really like the fit that a Todd Fedoruk can bring."

Sauer, 27, signed a four-year, $7 million deal. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder played in 54 games last season with one goal and five assists and was a plus-17.

Sauer has played five seasons on the NHL. He was the Avs' third-round choice (88th overall) in the 2000 draft. He was signed as a free agent by Anaheim in 2002 before being traded back to Colorado in 2004.

Fedoruk, 29, a 6-foot-2, 240-pound left wing, signed a three-year deal worth about $3.1 million.

He played in 69 games last season with Dallas and Minnesota, with six goals and seven assists, He was a plus-2. He was a seventh-round draft choice of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1997.

"We are excited to add Kurt to our defensive corps," said Maloney. "We see him as someone who can match up against top forwards and handle a lot of ice time.

"Todd's a guy that has played with some good players, he drives to the net, provides a presence, not unlike Danny Winnik, only he's big and thick and strong and gives us a presence, so I like the fit. So far we have done two things that we started out to help - we helped our defense and gave ourselves a little more toughness up front."

Sauer said he was excited when he learned of the deal but quickly got his mind back to his new job.

"Right away, you like to think about the contract, and what it does for you as family and then start to think, 'They're giving you that much money, they expect you to do more on ice and get better minutes,' and you're always excited about that possibility and you have to own up to why they offered you the money."

Fedoruk, happy to be getting a fresh start, said he has always heard good things about the organization, and players look at places that would be attractive to play in, and Phoenix is one of those.

"We came to terms, and it seems like both sides were pretty happy at the end," he said. "My role is I've been around a bit, a veteran role. Hopefully, I'll be playing more than fighting is obviously what I've tried to accomplish.

"There's a history of my fighting career, but I always wanted to market myself more as a player, and coming into free agency, that's where I saw myself as a player, a guy who will do things necessary to provide the physical aspect (who) can chip in with some skilled players if need be and help out some of the younger guys."

The Coyotes' plan for day two of free agency might be scaled down a bit, said Maloney. If he finds another defenseman he thinks will be a good fit, he'll act on that. "But if you look at our forward group, we've got a pretty good group, so I feel a lot better than 24 hours ago."

Vrbata, Weller leave

Vrbata signed a three-year, $9 million contract that included a no-trade clause. He played one year for the Coyotes. He had a strong start but tailed off down the stretch, finishing with 27 goals and 29 assists for 56 points, the second-highest point total on the team.

"We did make an offer at the end, not to the level he received, but thought it was a very lucrative four-year offer," Maloney said. Vrbata, a 27-year-old right wing, was obtained prior to last season by the Coyotes in a trade with Chicago for Kevyn Adams.

His agent, Rich Evans, said Vrbata had nothing but good things to say about the Coyotes organization.

Weller, one of the feel-good stories of the NHL last season when he broke into the league at the age of 27, agreed to a two-year $1.2 million one-way offer from the Wild. The Coyotes matched the numbers, but wanted Weller to accept a two-way contract.

Top choices sign

First-round draft choices, forward Mikkel Boedker (8) and Viktor Tikhonov (28) signed three-year entry-level contracts worth $875,000 per year.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2008/07/01/20080701yotes-sauer.html

I think that Sauer is a solid pick-up. However, I am less sold on Fedoruk. Do we really need another enforcer type? Also, does anyone think that the Coyotes will sign another solid D-man, or will they rely on Jones and Yandle to round out the defensive side? Personally, I think they could use another veteran D-man, but I am unsure about how much money they have left to spend.

Something else to think about is the possibility that one of the young centers be moved to play right-wing or left-wing. Right now, the Coyotes have a superabundance of centers but seem relatively thin at both wing positions now that Vrbata has left.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2008/07/01/20080701yotes-sauer.html

I think that Sauer is a solid pick-up. However, I am less sold on Fedoruk. Do we really need another enforcer type? Also, does anyone think that the Coyotes will sign another solid D-man, or will they rely on Jones and Yandle to round out the defensive side? Personally, I think they could use another veteran D-man, but I am unsure about how much money they have left to spend.

Something else to think about is the possibility that one of the young centers be moved to play right-wing or left-wing. Right now, the Coyotes have a superabundance of centers but seem relatively thin at both wing positions now that Vrbata has left.
I'm with you on this. I think the Coyotes still go out and find a bottom pairing defenseman. Sauer is a steal at that salary, if you compare what guys like Jeff Finger ($3.5M a year) got. Fedoruk is a much better all around player than Mcgrattan (who in my opinion is more or less useless) and essentially replaces Weller who signed with Minnesota. Fedoruk even got some power play time last year so thankfully he isn't a fists only kind of player.

As for the centers, at least one will be moved to the wing. Mueller is the most likely candidate, he will probably shift over to left wing and play with Jokinen and Doan. Mueller looked good on the wing playing with Doan last season, so it should be a seamless transition.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I think they'll still sign another D-man. They certainly weren't going to play in the high dollar stakes for Campebell or Redden, but maybe one of the few guys left will get signed by the Coyotes.

Bringing in McGratton and Fedoruk is a good move, in my opinion. This team lacked an enforcer, which is, unfortunately, still required in the NHL. What we saw last year was Carcillo pile up penalty minutes when he took that role on himself. I don't think both McGratton and Fedoruk will stick, but at least Fedoruk is a somewhat skilled player. He easily replaced Weller and should take over all the enforcer duties. If not, McGratton will fill that role.

Carcillo, now, can become more of an Esa Tikkanen-like pest and score lots of goals. Similar role to what Avery will play for the Dallas Stars.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
I want to see Fedoruk as a Weller that will drive to the net, but his career offensive numbers are not good at all. Fedoruk is a lousy fighter, too, watch him against Colton Orr in 2007 and Derek Boogard last season. With him and McGrattan, Carcillo can concentrate more on scoring, but he must get change his way about mouthing off to officials all the time, but don't overtame him.

Sauer is a OK defenseman, a replacement somewhere in between the two guys they traded. He doesn't get on the board much, but he logs a decent share of time. He has only played 80 games in a season once. Maloney has to find another blueliner quick, before all the good ones are gone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard