The Future of Coyotes' Broadcasts

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '23-'24 season is coming up quick and the broadcasts of the Coyotes games are not guaranteed. Here's a recent article discussing the Diamond Sports' bankruptcy as well as some conversations with DirecTV for distribution. Very worrisome this late in the game.

A lawyer for Diamond Sports Group pledged in the bankruptcy court to try to quickly let the 27 NBA and NHL teams it televises know whether it will continue broadcasting their games. But Brian Hermann, the lawyer, did not commit to doing so. DSG has already excised one contract with the Phoenix Suns.

“We understand that this case has to move quickly,” he said. “And the reason for that is because…we’re near completion of the baseball season. But we have an NBA and NHL season that’s coming right around the corner. And the NBA and the NHL fairly wants to make sure that Diamond Sports can broadcast their games. And we want to give them the assurance that we can broadcast their games. And the only way to do that is to try to come to a resolution quickly, hopefully in advance of those seasons, so that everybody can feel comfortable.”

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More:

Diamond’s DirecTV contract expires at the end of October. In an Aug. 2 court filing, the satcaster declared that the debtors “should not assume that DirecTV will renew its various distribution agreements with [Diamond].” One bone of contention has to do with the termination of Diamond’s partnerships with the San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks and Phoenix Suns; per the court document, DirecTV believes it is entitled to “immediate rate relief” commensurate with the losses of the two in-season franchises.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More:

The NBA teams Bally Sports currently has contracts with the Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic, Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Pelicans, Minnesota Timberwolves, Cleveland Cavaliers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers, Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs. Miami Heat, and Milwaukee Bucks.

The NHL teams that Bally Sports currently has contacts with the Arizona Coyotes, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, St. Lous Blues, Minnesota Wild, Columbus Blue Jackets, Anaheim Ducks, Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Los Angeles Kings.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DirectTV countered this last weekend by giving anyone who has the "Sports Package" free Redzone.

That's nice of them, I guess. But I'd rather watch hockey. :)

Don't get me wrong, DirecTV isn't the problem here, and they have every right to renegotiate when 2/3 of the pro teams in a market drop off the channel.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nice of them, I guess. But I'd rather watch hockey. :)

Don't get me wrong, DirecTV isn't the problem here, and they have every right to renegotiate when 2/3 of the pro teams in a market drop off the channel.

Well somehow DirectTV kept the Dbacks even after Balley's folded up. They are just two channels higher.

So I am HOPING they just do the same with the Yotes. If you have the Sports package they find a way to show the games

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well somehow DirectTV kept the Dbacks even after Balley's folded up. They are just two channels higher.

So I am HOPING they just do the same with the Yotes. If you have the Sports package they find a way to show the games

From what I've read, the short answer is that MLB was much more prepared for this than the NHL and had their ducks in a row for just such an eventuality.

We're both on the hope train until more information makes its way out.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow night's pre-season Kings/Yotes game in Australia will be on ESPN+ and NHL Network. 9pm AZ time.

I'm still trying to sort out the rest. :billthecat:

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a strong feeling this would happen.

The first game had already populated the DirecTV guide on Bally's, so I have no idea how this is going to sort out. I've got to think the NHL has a parachute packed for this because even a dufus like me knew we were in trouble with Bally's when they lost the Suns and D-backs.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ByArizona Coyotes
@ArizonaCoyotes Arizona Coyotes
12:00 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Thursday, October 5, 2023

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA – The Arizona Coyotes and Scripps Sports have formed a multi-year agreement to televise all locally broadcast Coyotes games over the air to residents of Arizona and surrounding states within the team's broadcast territory.
The agreement allows The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) to televise all non-nationally exclusive Coyotes games over the air (OTA). As per club policy, the financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. The deal has obtained the necessary approvals from the National Hockey League.

The Coyotes and Diamond Sports Net Arizona on Wednesday agreed to end the Coyotes telecast rights agreement. The debtors in the Diamond Sports Group, LLC bankruptcy submitted a motion and proposed order to reject the Coyotes telecast rights agreement to the bankruptcy court.

“We are thrilled to partner with Scripps Sports and provide free Coyotes games to our fans,” said Coyotes Owner, Chairman & Governor Alex Meruelo. “This is a major win for us to be able to increase our reach and continue to grow the great game of hockey in the desert. We are committed to winning, committed to the Valley, and committed to doing what’s best for our incredibly loyal and passionate fanbase.”

This season, 81 of the 82 Coyotes games will be broadcast on Channel 15.2 (KNXV.2), the Antenna TV network, over the air (with an antenna). Antenna TV can also be found on channel 95 on COX.

Scripps owns ABC15 Arizona, the Phoenix ABC affiliate, which will provide a strong marketing platform for Coyotes telecasts. One Coyotes game (Dec. 21 at San Jose) will be broadcast nationally on ESPN+.

“Scripps Sports looks forward to working with the Arizona Coyotes to showcase their exciting young team,” said Brian Lawlor, president of Scripps Sports. “We believe the future of this team is bright, and we look forward to making the games available for all fans to enjoy.”

“This is an innovative collaboration that will ensure that all our great fans can watch Coyotes hockey on television for free and allows us to better connect with our incredible fans and fans-in-waiting,” said Coyotes President & CEO Xavier A. Gutierrez.
Gutierrez said the Coyotes and Scripps also are committed to providing fans with a direct-to-consumer streaming option, and details will be announced when plans are finalized.

The Coyotes are responsible for production of the games. Coyotes play-by-play announcer Matt McConnell, color analyst Tyson Nash and hosts Todd Walsh and Jody Jackson will be back for all Coyotes broadcasts.

Broadcasts will include pregame and postgame coverage for every game. Scripps stations also will broadcast all Coyotes games in Tucson (games will be on KGUN 9.2 – Cox channel 85 and Comcast channel 1179) and Salt Lake City (games will alternate between KUPX Utah 16 and KSTU 13.2 Antenna TV).

Scripps, the official broadcast partner of the team, and the Coyotes will co-produce a monthly 30-minute “Club Insider” program that showcases the team, its players and the organization on and off the ice. The show will air on KASW (Phoenix) and KWBA (Tucson).

The Coyotes open the 2023-24 NHL regular season on Friday, October 13 in New Jersey against the Devils.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I responded to the team's tweet and ABC 15's tweet asking about DTV.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of accessibility with Scripps, will there be a way to watch games on a mobile device/through an app? Will the games be available on DirecTV or DISH Network? Also, will the games be available on any streaming services such as Hulu, FuboTV, YouTube TV, etc.?

“We will be launching a DTC (direct to consumer) platform for our fans to be able to stream our games across devices. More to come on that soon.”

This is from Morgan's Q&A with Meruelo.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really not too keen on digging out the old antenna and tuner to watch some hockey in low bitrate 480i, which is the resolution typically used in digital sub-channels with a .2 or higher number. That is if the signal is even strong enough to get to me from South Mountain. Not all of them are the last time I checked which admittedly was years ago.

I'm going to take a breath and hope that DirecTV and the Yotes will have a separate announcement soon. I'm pretty sure DirecTV has an existing relationship with Scripps.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate streaming. :(

It's pretty flawless on the AppleTV with the big players, but there are a lot of variables along the line that can gum up the works even in the best of circumstances with the smaller outfits.

It wasn't cheap, but back in the day we could get almost everything we wanted on one box and one bill. Now I am constantly trying to manage so many different accounts and passwords that it just makes the experience dreadful. I'm sure some folks have figured out a way to save money, but I never have! Still, depending on how this shakes out, I might be able to finally take out DirecTV as Coyotes games were about the last thing holding me there. I'm not sure the wife is ready, though. :shock: