The Future of Coyotes' Broadcasts

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't derail this thread, but I've been looking at options of installing an antenna for these games and the tl;dr is around $300 bucks and my time to pull this off if we don't get a streaming package or any agreement with DirecTV. :computer:

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is great news. I cut the cord about 15 years ago and am ecstatic that the Yotes are leading the way back to teams making their games available on OTA television. Utah is home, so I’ll definitely watch when visiting with family—wish I still lived there for many reasons (including Yotes broadcasts)!

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some articles today showing Diamond Sports Group owes Yotes something like $18 million. And as an unsecured debt, I'm sure the team has tens of dollars to look forward to. :deadhorse2:

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retrans fees and carriage disputes are an important element to keep in mind around the many notable rights we’re seeing move from regional sports networks to local broadcast stations. And they’re one of several reasons some are saying these moves to broadcast TV aren’t going to solve all the issues seen with RSNs. Some recent interesting comments there come from DirecTV chief content officer Rob Thun on The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, with Thun saying the carriage battles DTV has already had (or come close to) with several companies that own lots of local stations may happen again as stations get more into sports rights:

Thun warned that broadcast deals inevitably will create the same problems that affected RSNs. As local broadcasters pay more for sports rights, they will charge distributors more in retransmission consent fees.

This isn’t the only potential issue. Thun also notes challenges with games being carried on subchannels (specifically with the Arizona Coyotes, whose games are headed to Scripps-owned KNXV.2, the alternate channel for the Phoenix ABC station), citing limited satellite room and saying “Our mousetrap of satellite was not built to accommodate all the subchannels across the country. We have a tough time delivering all the primary signals across the country, let alone subchannels.”

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely a rumor at this point, but we might be getting the games moved to channel 61 which DirecTV does carry in its locals package. That would be a huge lift! OTA would still be there, but also on cable and sat! Fingers crossed.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely a rumor at this point, but we might be getting the games moved to channel 61 which DirecTV does carry in its locals package. That would be a huge lift! OTA would still be there, but also on cable and sat! Fingers crossed.
That would be Howling Awesome!!! :coyotes: :yotes:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Now, 64 of the remaining 65 Coyotes games this season, including pregame and postgame shows, will be available on KASW/Arizona 61 over the air on Channel 61, on DirecTV (Channel 61) and Cox cable (Channel 95).

:coyotes: :yotes: :thewave::thumbup:

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Those Tablo ads were starting to get to me! LOL. Going to enjoy pulling down that ridiculous antenna and garbage tuner after Saturday's game!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they were getting sick of me emailing them twice a day since the beginning of the season to get the games on DirecTV.

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Information about Coyotes Broadcasting

Dear Arizona Coyotes personnel,

As a business owner, I often work late and/or have family obligations so I cannot typically watch the Coyotes games live and have always previously recorded them on my DirecTV DVR to watch them after my obligations are done.

As a result, I am so disheartened that the Coyotes do not yet have a deal to be fully committed to broadcast the games on DirecTV. I got an over the air antenna, but it’s totally worthless to me because I cannot record the games and I’ll may be able to watch only one or two periods live the whole season.

If you want to continue to build a committed fanbase, please allow the fans with DirecTV watch the games on DirecTV. It would be much, much appreciated.

Sincerely,
jf-08

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they were getting sick of me emailing them twice a day since the beginning of the season to get the games on DirecTV.

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Information about Coyotes Broadcasting

Dear Arizona Coyotes personnel,

As a business owner, I often work late and/or have family obligations so I cannot typically watch the Coyotes games live and have always previously recorded them on my DirecTV DVR to watch them after my obligations are done.

As a result, I am so disheartened that the Coyotes do not yet have a deal to be fully committed to broadcast the games on DirecTV. I got an over the air antenna, but it’s totally worthless to me because I cannot record the games and I’ll may be able to watch only one or two periods live the whole season.

If you want to continue to build a committed fanbase, please allow the fans with DirecTV watch the games on DirecTV. It would be much, much appreciated.

Sincerely,
jf-08

That's beautiful! I don't think my emails were quite as pleasant as yours! :madarms:

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game looks amazing on ESPN+ compared to the Scripps / DirecTV broadcasts. Antenna 15.2 channel was garbage too, so there's a problem on Scripps' end.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is fantastic news for us Coyotes fans. If all goes smoothly, the station will be able to move the CW off of the current slice of bandwidth and free up some better resolution for Coyotes games.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's funny to me that the twitterers, exers, whateverers, keep using that map as if it's in any way representative of what's left in Bally's inventory.