OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Well, how about that! This ownership team is accomplishing quite a few positive things that are unfortunately overshadowed by the giant elephant in the room.

The only negative I see so far is it's not an app, but appears to be browser based. I suppose the next best thing would be to use an Xbox or to cast it from a device, but neither are my preference. I'm very curious about the quality. It wouldn't take much to do better than the Scripps broadcasts, which are barely passable as HD on the ATSC 1.0 channel.

For those unaware, DirecTV passes the OTA ATSC 1.0 channel to its local customers, and anyone who doesn't have a Nextgen ATSC 3.0 digital tuner is stuck with the same. I've seen a (yes, one) report that the quality was better on the Nextgen broadcast, but I can't confirm myself.

The price seems extremely reasonable. For a quarter Benjy, I might just buy it to play around.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had Coyotes Central for a while now and just thought I'd describe the experience for those thinking about it next year. (yeah, yeah, if there is one :bang: )

Pros:

-Video quality is leaps and bounds better than the OTA or DirecTV signals. It matches what you see on ESPN+ and other web streamers.

-It is an application that is in the Apple and Android stores. Watch basically everywhere on all devices. Casting is not necessary. I'm using the Apple TV 4K unit.

Cons:

-You can't "buffer" 30-40 minutes on the live stream and start from the beginning. You have to wait for the coverage and the stream to stop before the replay is made available. Thankfully, if you do wait, you can fast forward through the commercials. But, as someone who is accustomed to using a DVR to time-shift, this is painful.

-You can't open the game at the beginning, hit pause, and come back later to watch later. It just starts back at live. No workarounds here in this version.

-If you want the quality, you basically have to watch live or wait until the next day.

-Replays are only available for a couple of days.

-They clearly haven't sold some ad blocks out so there are times where it's just a splash screen of the logo and no sound. (some might consider this a pro!)

Questions for next year:

-Can they add the "start from beginning" even if the broadcast has already started like ESPN+ other streamers?

-What will the cost be for an entire season? I'm sure the rate for the last handful of games was provided at a steep discount to get people to try it out.

If I think of anything else, I'll add to this post and feel free to ask any questions if you're curious about something.