Cord Cutters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a DVR would eliminate my need for hulu, i only watch network shows on it really.

You don't have a spare PC around? I have been using it for years and it works well. I rarely record network shows and use it mostly for Cards games, but it could be your DVR solution.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have a spare PC around? I have been using it for years and it works well. I rarely record network shows and use it mostly for Cards games, but it could be your DVR solution.

eh, they were all very slow and very crappy by the time i upgraded but I do have them in the garage i think

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh, they were all very slow and very crappy by the time i upgraded but I do have them in the garage i think

My Windows 7 Home PC is not running much higher than minimum specs, but has a better than average video card and a very cheap USB TV tuner card. The rooftop antenna is probably the biggest expense but it has been worth it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I keep hearing about Kodi and have bought a fire stick to try it out. its coming tonight.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Plex but Koid is cool too.

I dont know much about either, All I know is im supposed to unlock it, add this app and I would have all the tv and movies I want? Is plex the same thing?

I want walking dead, better caul saul and new movies.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know much about either, All I know is im supposed to unlock it, add this app and I would have all the tv and movies I want? Is plex the same thing?

I want walking dead, better caul saul and new movies.

Plex is mostly used for managing your movies, music and providing access to them by running a dedicated home server via your PC or standalone. However, it has "Channels" that provide free TV content and movies as well.

I have used both and like both. I would say try them out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plex is mostly used for managing your movies, music and providing access to them by running a dedicated home server via your PC or standalone. However, it has "Channels" that provide free TV content and movies as well.

Can you grab stuff off of Plex/Koid on demand like a torrent?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

interesting. I have no library that i need access to, just other peoples libraries :)

I tried googling the two and really all i learned is the plex app is $5. No one really talked about the underbelly that I am interested in. If anything my referrers are running kodi so ill try that and if it doesn't meet my needs, then look at plex.

To my understanding, that is exactly what they do, you watch on demand media off of other peoples computers.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the TV stuff that is what Plex does. Most of the channels from what I can tell pull on demand from the networks own sites...often in other regions that don't have (region locked) content. In terms of Plex and torrents I know they have some private channels that support torrents. I know the software recognizes torrent files so they can be included in your collection.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. I have no library that i need access to, just other peoples libraries :)

Plex does that too. If you know someone with an extensive library for example, I can access his ton of movies and watch them on any Plex enabled device.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plex does that too. If you know someone with an extensive library for example, I can access his ton of movies and watch them on any Plex enabled device.

i dont know anyone with libraries full of the content I want.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
installed Kodi on my fire stick last night. Tried exodus, 1channel and another one. Everyone had told me they were getting pure HD and I didnt fully buy it but it was still al letdown to see it is almost HD but not quite there which again was expected anyway.

I tried star wars as a test, the only HD ones ask me to go to a website and then it loads the SD version instead. No way am I watching a movie like that in SD :)

Tried jungle book, people had said its in hd, its only in camcorder in a theater, not hd. Ill pass on that.

Tried fear the walking dead, newest episode (seeing if I can save money on future TWD seasons). This was the closest to HD I found out of my tests, its not quite a pure picture but it might be good enough. I am kinda a perfectionist when it comes to media, I want a pure picture and pure sound. I'm not sure if I would sacrifice it on The walking dead to not pay $40 for the season. We'll see.

I could see myself using it for less important to me shows that are not available through netflix or hulu though like big bang, older modern family episodes, kids movies, etc.

I currently have it as my HDMI in on my xbox so I can go to it right from my xbox guide.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
installed Kodi on my fire stick last night. Tried exodus, 1channel and another one. Everyone had told me they were getting pure HD and I didnt fully buy it but it was still al letdown to see it is almost HD but not quite there which again was expected anyway.

I tried star wars as a test, the only HD ones ask me to go to a website and then it loads the SD version instead. No way am I watching a movie like that in SD :)

Tried jungle book, people had said its in hd, its only in camcorder in a theater, not hd. Ill pass on that.

Tried fear the walking dead, newest episode (seeing if I can save money on future TWD seasons). This was the closest to HD I found out of my tests, its not quite a pure picture but it might be good enough. I am kinda a perfectionist when it comes to media, I want a pure picture and pure sound. I'm not sure if I would sacrifice it on The walking dead to not pay $40 for the season. We'll see.

I could see myself using it for less important to me shows that are not available through netflix or hulu though like big bang, older modern family episodes, kids movies, etc.

I currently have it as my HDMI in on my xbox so I can go to it right from my xbox guide.

My experience has been that most of the channels I see in plex are probably running at 720P vs 1080P. Even though Plex supports 1080P streaming. I think it has to do with bandwidth. I have seen a few shows in 1080P but most of them appear to be in 720P. So, for anything I can't get via Hulu or Amazon prime that works for me. Out of all the movies I have watched though none of them have been camcorder footage and most of them have been at 720P but not all.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience has been that most of the channels I see in plex are probably running at 720P vs 1080P. Even though Plex supports 1080P streaming. I think it has to do with bandwidth. I have seen a few shows in 1080P but most of them appear to be in 720P. So, for anything I can't get via Hulu or Amazon prime that works for me. Out of all the movies I have watched though none of them have been camcorder footage and most of them have been at 720P but not all.

it could have been in 720p. It was pretty clear but spotty and slight blurs on it with Fear the walking dead. That was the best quality stream I found. The star wars one specifically said SD and was fuzzy. I want pure HD for when I watch that or at least as clear as Fear was. It was for sure sub par image wise. Thats ok though. For stuff i dont care as much about, itll be great.

search jungle book and see if you can, if you are finding actual high quality video rather than camcorder footage I am curious what channel you found it on. I tried Genesis, 1 channel and exodus and they all had the same video.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could have been in 720p. It was pretty clear but spotty and slight blurs on it with Fear the walking dead. That was the best quality stream I found. The star wars one specifically said SD and was fuzzy. I want pure HD for when I watch that or at least as clear as Fear was. It was for sure sub par image wise. Thats ok though. For stuff i dont care as much about, itll be great.

search jungle book and see if you can, if you are finding actual high quality video rather than camcorder footage I am curious what channel you found it on. I tried Genesis, 1 channel and exodus and they all had the same video.

The channels are not the same. The two main channels I find content are on G2G...and Let Me Watch This. Most of it is regionally unlock content verses illegal stuff. I think you tend to find more of that on Kodi. Not sure what the latest movies on those channels are. I will have to check.

Reaction score
The channels are not the same. The two main channels I find content are on G2G...and Let Me Watch This. Most of it is regionally unlock content verses illegal stuff. I think you tend to find more of that on Kodi. Not sure what the latest movies on those channels are. I will have to check.

I just looked them up & they have Captain America Civil War on there already.

p.s. When you register you have to click that you agree to the terms & also surrender your soul - '' I have read the legal terms, and I agree to them. I also surrender my soul.''

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Kodi requires some set up, research, and a TON of tweaking. But once you've got everything to your liking it's pretty damn amazing. Install SALTS or Specto and pair it with a Real-Debrid account. You'll never run out of sources that are 1080p, 720p, etc.

Illegal? Technically, no. Not unless you are using a Torrent plugin. Super-duper-gray-area? Absolutely. It's up to you if you want to go that route. But I will say it's pretty impressive in action.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Illegal? Technically, no. Not unless you are using a Torrent plugin. Super-duper-gray-area? Absolutely. It's up to you if you want to go that route. But I will say it's pretty impressive in action.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Almost all of the Kodi users I know use Torrents.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was referring to. Almost all of the Kodi users I know use Torrents.

I see the opposite (on the Kodi / Addons4Kodi subreddits). Most people stick to SALTS, Specto, Exodus, etc because they are simply pulling from sources on the web. They don't have to deal with torrents and "getting caught."

And while watching shows from sources on the web isn't illegal, it's still questionable since you're getting everything for free. So it's up to the user to decide if they mind going that route.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the opposite (on the Kodi / Addons4Kodi subreddits). Most people stick to SALTS, Specto, Exodus, etc because they are simply pulling from sources on the web. They don't have to deal with torrents and "getting caught."

Of course, while watching shows from sources on the web isn't illegal, it's still questionable since you're getting everything for free. So it's up to the user to decide if they mind going that route.

Most of my friends and I have been using Torrents since they came out. I moved away because I didn't want to deal with it. However, almost all of them are still playing that game via Kodi.

In terms of watching the shows....I think the bigger issue is regional unlocked content. I just read an article the other day although it's not illegal they expect networks to address that legally at some point. That would kill much of the free channel stuff out of the gate.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still have an old school aerial on a pole outside my house with the cord still inside. Will this still work?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I still have an old school aerial on a pole outside my house with the cord still inside. Will this still work?

Yeah. I've got a crappy indoor antenna and it still pulls close to 40 channels.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kodi requires some set up, research, and a TON of tweaking. But once you've got everything to your liking it's pretty damn amazing. Install SALTS or Specto and pair it with a Real-Debrid account. You'll never run out of sources that are 1080p, 720p, etc.

I will use your comments next time im on it to browse around. Right now I just had exodus, 1channel and something else. I have been using exodus but the quality is not HD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson