Cord Cutters

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play is a very very lose term. I dabble with the guitar. It's more like I am muddling through learning right now but I have to get my acoustic repaired. How is this related to cord cutting?

:)

she was making sure you were playing an acoustic instead of an electric

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play is a very very lose term. I dabble with the guitar. It's more like I am muddling through learning right now but I have to get my acoustic repaired. How is this related to cord cutting?

:)
This post is the first one in this thread in which you've used the correct spelling, so I was wondering if you had some deep-seeded attachment to "chord".

;)

Just bustin' your....strings.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post is the first one in this thread in which you've used the correct spelling, so I was wondering if you had some deep-seeded attachment to "chord".

;)

Just bustin' your....strings.

HAHA! I didn't even noticed. In all fairness it was only 3 posts. :)

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
So I saw the issue about not being "authorized" or whatever. I was using my parents Cox information to watch the Pac 12 network during football season. Cox kept using my own Cox home network information to say that i wasn't authorized (since i only have TV, no internet). To get around this, I would log in to Cox as them first, then try to stream the channel. Never had a problem again with not being authorized. This solution worked on my laptop, not sure how it would work with APPs.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I saw the issue about not being "authorized" or whatever. I was using my parents Cox information to watch the Pac 12 network during football season. Cox kept using my own Cox home network information to say that i wasn't authorized (since i only have TV, no internet). To get around this, I would log in to Cox as them first, then try to stream the channel. Never had a problem again with not being authorized. This solution worked on my laptop, not sure how it would work with APPs.

Yep, tried that on the PC and logging on to DIRECTV first. It didn't work. Might be worth a try again but I think the IP address they capture is not from how you sign on but what IP address your DirecTV box is assigned to.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those cord cutters looking for live national news, check out the CBSN app. It has live streaming 24/7 news (it does replay top stories and interviews much like other news networks) and you can download it on Roku, Apple, Android, and FireTV. They have some ads and also run promos for CBS programming.

I had forgotten what real news is like after watching the infotainment channels like MSNBC, CNN, and Fox for over a decade. They steer away from the endless political bickering and just simply report on the days events and keep interviews brief and informative.

I think it's a smart move by CBS to be the first major network to offer free, live 24/7 news.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those cord cutters looking for live national news, check out the CBSN app. It has live streaming 24/7 news (it does replay top stories and interviews much like other news networks) and you can download it on Roku, Apple, Android, and FireTV. They have some ads and also run promos for CBS programming.

I had forgotten what real news is like after watching the infotainment channels like MSNBC, CNN, and Fox for over a decade. They steer away from the endless political bickering and just simply report on the days events and keep interviews brief and informative.

I think it's a smart move by CBS to be the first major network to offer free, live 24/7 news.
Find that a while back on Xbox, is my only 24/7 news station at this time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to buy a little $20 Mohu Leaf for an extra tv that's only used for video games.

I was shocked at how many channels it picked up. I'm in Goodyear, about 20 miles from South Mountain, and I get 40 or 50 channels with 10 to 15 in HD. I didn't even know some of these channels existed.

I need to find a lot of solutions before I consider cutting the cord, but this was fun.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to buy a little $20 Mohu Leaf for an extra tv that's only used for video games.

I was shocked at how many channels it picked up. I'm in Goodyear, about 20 miles from South Mountain, and I get 40 or 50 channels with 10 to 15 in HD. I didn't even know some of these channels existed.

I need to find a lot of solutions before I consider cutting the cord, but this was fun.
You can delete the channels from the TV that are useless too, makes it much more efficient.

I have an Xbox one in my living room and it gives me an on screen guide to flip through my rabbit ear stuff. After not having cable for years, it was nice to not have to channel surf to see what's on

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can get Vue over your Amazon Fire stick now, no need for a PlayStation. They've opened it up. I would have stayed with Sling if they had regional sports networks. That was the selling point for me. With baseball season starting and playoff hockey around the corner, this is worth the 35 a month in my mind.

Sling now has a 20 channel package that includes all of the Fox family of networks including Fox Sport Regional. You have to sacrifice all of the Disney channels with the big loss being ESPN and MNF with it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You can delete the channels from the TV that are useless too, makes it much more efficient.

I have an Xbox one in my living room and it gives me an on screen guide to flip through my rabbit ear stuff. After not having cable for years, it was nice to not have to channel surf to see what's on

Yeah, I don't really need 10 religious channels.

I would need to figure out a dvr solution because there's no way I could sit through a football or basketball game live. I need to skip commercials and timeouts. I can't even watch free throws anymore.

I'll keep paying attention to what you guys do though; there's lots of good info in this thread.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I would need to figure out a dvr solution because there's no way I could sit through a football or basketball game live. I need to skip commercials and timeouts. I can't even watch free throws anymore.

The ability to DVR sporting events is the single reason I haven't cut the cord yet.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really need 10 religious channels.

I'll keep paying attention to what you guys do though; there's lots of good info in this thread.

The ability to DVR sporting events is the single reason I haven't cut the cord yet.

FYI Xbox one pauses live TV up to 30 minutes for now, it has DVR functionality coming soon. There are other DVR options out there but for the money I prefer to wait until my Xbox can do it. Hopefully before the patriots game.

As far as network channels, 3,5,8,8.2,8.3,10,12,15,45 and 61 are the main haul.

There are a few other channels that can have good stuff on like the 51 channels, they have an all day cartoon channel on 51.3. Also justice channel is 12.3 it sometimes has Alaskan cop shows and stuff, beyond that it's lots of murder solving reenactments and etc

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my channel master + dvr to record all the Cardinals' games. Still have them on my DVR from this past season. Only negative is I can't record dbacks games since I watch them through Fox Sports Go app.

Technically I could record the game on my phone as I stream from my iPad. Hmmmm....

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I use my channel master + dvr to record all the Cardinals' games. Still have them on my DVR from this past season. Only negative is I can't record dbacks games since I watch them through Fox Sports Go app.

Technically I could record the game on my phone as I stream from my iPad. Hmmmm....

See, that's what I mean. The "wisdom of crowds" effect is in full force in this thread.

Per Amazon:
DVR+ includes streaming services such as VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, Channel Master TV and Sling TV which gives access to premium channels such as ESPN, TNT, HGTV, History and more!

So does this mean you need to subscribe to Sling ($20/mo?) to get ESPN, TNT, etc. and then you can record them on this device?

Also, does the PS4 have the same capability as the Xbox?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, that's what I mean. The "wisdom of crowds" effect is in full force in this thread.

Per Amazon:
DVR+ includes streaming services such as VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, Channel Master TV and Sling TV which gives access to premium channels such as ESPN, TNT, HGTV, History and more!

So does this mean you need to subscribe to Sling ($20/mo?) to get ESPN, TNT, etc. and then you can record them on this device?

Also, does the PS4 have the same capability as the Xbox?

ps4 has its own sling tv like service that looks pretty cool. I am not sure if you can actually pass rabbit ears through it to have a guide and dvr shows though. it does have netflix and all that stuff.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ps4 has its own sling tv like service that looks pretty cool. I am not sure if you can actually pass rabbit ears through it to have a guide and dvr shows though. it does have netflix and all that stuff.

I don't see how there is any way to pass rabbit ears through it. At least with the Xbox One's HDMI In, you could see that possible.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a computer we run the TV through, and we can dvr anything live tv-wise we want, pretty much. We always record the Cards' games, start watching when it's around halftime (live) so that by the time we skip through commercials & halftime, we're about even with real time.

dcr could explain it better than I can; I know we have a tv tuner stick thing in a usb port...(I'm oh-so-technical).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Per Amazon:

So does this mean you need to subscribe to Sling ($20/mo?) to get ESPN, TNT, etc. and then you can record them on this device

Unfortunately, no. I am not able to record internet streamed content, just the tv channels found from my Mohu Leaf. I love my DVR though. Being able to record series and watchthem later or save them for later helped me deal with cutting the cord. That would be amazing if we could record Sling TV content on this DVR. Maybe someday...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. I am not able to record internet streamed content, just the tv channels found from my Mohu Leaf. I love my DVR though. Being able to record series and watchthem later or save them for later helped me deal with cutting the cord. That would be amazing if we could record Sling TV content on this DVR. Maybe someday...

a DVR would eliminate my need for hulu, i only watch network shows on it really.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave