Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Covert Rain, Feb 25, 2016.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

what netflix tier did you do? I do the minimum tier and its fine. I think 2 or 3 tvs can stream is at once.

I havent ponied up for ad free hulu, the ads are short enough that I do not mind them. In fact when I watch shark tank live I get irritated because it has so many more commercials than when I watch on Hulu

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

WISP is the answer.

3. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Hulu is free? I thought it had a monthly fee like Netflix.

4. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

They have a free option that has a very limited selection, a paid service with all of their selection, and a commercial free Netflix style option.

5. BigRedRage

to watch on xbox and roku, I believe you have to have a paid version and the free version is computer only.

6. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

So it would be around $20-30 a monthe for Hulu & Netflix plus $40 or so for internet. Around $60-70 monthly? I have 5 tv's & all of them get used. Most of the time 4 are being used at once.

7. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I pay $12.99 each for Netflix 4 devices at a time and Hulu commercial free option. $26/mo

8. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I opted for the HD on 2 screens version. What happens often in our house is we are watching something and the kids are in the HT room watching something else. I am testing the waters with Hulu (11.99 commercial free option). I might go back down to the $7.99 version. Not sure.

9. BigRedRage

I get HD on multiple screens at like 7.99 with Netflix. I can do either two or three screens, higher cost is to do more than that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. BigRedRage

I pay 60 for Internet but had that anyway so TV budget went from 120 a month to $16 a month with Netflix and Hulu

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

Am I reading this correctly about Slingbox? If my friend in Surprise has Cox with Fox Sports Az and has her cable box plugged in to the slingbox, she could watch the dbacks game at my house via Amazon Fire Stick Sling app?

edit: nevermind, it's easier to just download the Fox Sports GO app and have them log in.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  12. Covert Rain

You must be grandfathered under an old plan. Directly from their site:

Watch on 1 screen at a time in Standard Definition.$7.99/month

Watch on 2 screens at a time. HD available.$8.99/month

Watch on 4 screens at a time. HD and Ultra HD available.$11.99/month

13. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

This is what I've seen on their site as well. I have the $8.99 package. BRR is paying roughly $76/mo for internet & tv. Currently I'm paying $109 for internet & an upgraded tv package ( I get Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) with Century Link. So BRR is saving around $33/mo over what I'm paying. I would have to buy 5 HD OTA antennae which I assume would be around $500. It would take about 1.5 years to make up the savings.

14. BigRedRage

maybe I do 8.99

how fast is your internet? I pay 60/mo for like 50mbps, thinking about calling them and going down a tier as it is more than the amount of speed I need. Keep that in mind when doing your pricing.

Personally I enjoy netflix hulu much more than I enjoyed cable. When I had cable it was all channel surfing and nothing was ever on unless I was at home at the exact time the show was on.

OTA antennas are only 10-20 bucks each. Any old antenna in your attic will get HD signal if you live in the city. I bought an antenna for my main tv, the others all have the equivelant of a paper clip in the coax and I get signal.

I also bought roku for every room and etc, it probably took 6 months to a year to make up the price but I havent had cable since 2010 so it was totally worth it.

15. Covert Rain

If you live in town you could get away with the cheap ones. If you have existing cable wiring (coax) through the house you could get one really good one and run a splitter to all those locations. I needed a heavy duty one because I am up against foothills and just outside of town in the East Valley.

By the way, I am now running PLEX as well. I was surprised to find out that Plex has TV stations you can add as well. I am going to be using it for other stuff but that was a nice surprise.