Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Covert Rain, Feb 25, 2016.

1. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

These guys are always mentioned positively by others I know doing OTA.

http://www.winegard.com/offair?q=offair

2. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

I had a small indoor winegard antenna and it worked very well.

3. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I have had no luck with small indoor antennas. I am going to try the mohu sky tonight or tomorrow. If that doesn't work I am going to just order one of the huge bow tie antenna's that are multi-directional. They are sort of beasts but I can install that in my attic.

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Have you tried a rooftop antenna? It will get far more distance, you could just set it up somewhere and have an extension cord to a small tv and see if it works before drilling holes and dropping coax through the attic.

I often have to turn off my amp too

5. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I was looking into rooftop antennas and they were GIGANTIC.

6. Covert Rain

That will be a last resort. Would really prefer not to mount some huge antenna on the roof. Although that might be my only choice if I can't get anything else to work.

The Mohu Sky just from inside the house found 6 channels (the Leaf found zero). I am going to try the attic space since it's much higher and see what happens. My guess is that I will be trying one of those more advanced attic mountable OTA in my near future.

7. Covert Rain

Just an update. Tried the Mohu Sky. It was way better than the Leaf but still not strong enough. I managed to tune into all the major networks with around a 65 signal with the amp slightly lower without. The only exception was the CW. I could only manage a 32 signal strength no matter what.

So, returning this one and ordering a 100 mile OTA. Was going to go with a 70 mile one but I would rather not have to return another OTA. I would rather do some overkill verses go through another round.

8. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I thought there would be rooftop ones that are only 2-3 feet tall? That a pipe dream?

9. dreamcastrocks

There are. Mine is.

10. Covert Rain

11. dreamcastrocks

Get the amp. I noticed my indoor antenna that had an amp got much better reception, and I have always lived in the Valley. The signal strength was much better.

12. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

Ditch Primewire, 1Channel, etc. Switch to SALTS and you'll never look back.

SALTS (Stream all the Sources) paired with a service like Real-Debrid ... well, I won't say much more as we are diving head first into the gray area.

Alternatively, Playstation Vue just became available here in AZ. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

$35 a month for 70 of the most popular channels plus local sports? Sounds great to me. I believe it also offers local Fox Sports Networks? If that's the case, even better.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  13. Covert Rain

Completed and Cord cut. I went with the OTA above. I get 72 on all the channels. Not great but not bad. The picture has been rock solid all weekend. Unfortunately, I don't get any CW which has some of my wife's shows. There was no amount of adjusting that was going to work in the attic from the Queen Creek area. However, my wife refused to let me mount the OTA outside so I told her she will just have to stream CW through FireTV and/or Hulu. She thought that was fair.

So, TIVO (to record OTA), Fire TV, Hulu and Netflix with HBO NOW subscription. We are very very happy. The quality was better than I imagined being with DIRECTV since they arrived here in the valley.

Glad I cut the chord. The only thing I think I am seriously going to miss is FOX Sports TV BUT as some alluded to their are solutions for that.

I am finally part of the tribe and saving a ton of cash too.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  14. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

What is your monthly expense now? I know Hulu & Netflix has monthly fees as well as internet provider costs. Just curious as to the amount of savings vs cable/satellite.

15. Covert Rain

Well I had a pretty hefty package on DirecTV costing me $139.00 per month. So I am saving about $81 a month or about $972 a year which is huge. This would be even lower if I didn't have a TIVO DVR (there are cheaper ones) or if I had the lower tier Hulu and Netflix subscription plans. This also includes approximately $7.99 for Amazon Prime but if you went Roku you wouldn't have that either.