Cord Cutters

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in a wierd area, almost a black hole. I've tried indoor antennas but I can never seem to get them to work.

Me neither. Tried several in door models. I ended up using a heavy duty antenna in my attic. I should probably move it to outside but it works.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Plex is simply a server, it isn't a means to get content other than channels that are basically simply linked to network sites.

If you want to get content in other ways, you do that seperate from Plex, those programs will them organize them in a library on your hard drive, and the the Plex server reads those directories and organizes it through an app or the Plex Home Theater application.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the opposite (on the Kodi / Addons4Kodi subreddits). Most people stick to SALTS, Specto, Exodus, etc because they are simply pulling from sources on the web. They don't have to deal with torrents and "getting caught."

And while watching shows from sources on the web isn't illegal, it's still questionable since you're getting everything for free. So it's up to the user to decide if they mind going that route.

tried to find salts last night and didnt have much success. Will try again. Only spent about 10 minutes trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plex is simply a server, it isn't a means to get content other than channels that are basically simply linked to network sites.

If you want to get content in other ways, you do that seperate from Plex, those programs will them organize them in a library on your hard drive, and the the Plex server reads those directories and organizes it through an app or the Plex Home Theater application.

Plex is a more of a media suite with a media server as one of its components. As you stated it can organizes audio/visual content from media libraries, streams it to mobile devices, smart TVs, and streaming boxes. The added bonus is the ability to add streaming channels of content. It also allows third party support for stuff like torrents. They recently added a new media player.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kodi used to be XBox Media Center (XBMC), which in my understanding was the most popular and used media server software.

I'm using Plex now and I've used Emby as well in the past. Plex seems to be the best, IMO. And certainly the easiest to set up.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I've solved my local sports deficiency with Sling TV. I was unable to find consistent streams of Suns and Dbacks on Kodi since cutting the cord in March.

I signed up for the 7 day trial of Sling's new Fox beta package. So far so good. It's $20 a month and includes the standard Sling channels sans Disney/ESPN channels. I get all of the Fox channels including FSAZ and the FSAZ alternate channels.

I can run multiple streams so I'll be splitting the cost with a buddy. $10 for consistent local sports + AMC, FX, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, CNN and some decent on demand content. It's not a bad deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've solved my local sports deficiency with Sling TV. I was unable to find consistent streams of Suns and Dbacks on Kodi since cutting the cord in March.

I signed up for the 7 day trial of Sling's new Fox beta package. So far so good. It's $20 a month and includes the standard Sling channels sans Disney/ESPN channels. I get all of the Fox channels including FSAZ and the FSAZ alternate channels.

I can run multiple streams so I'll be splitting the cost with a buddy. $10 for consistent local sports + AMC, FX, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, CNN and some decent on demand content. It's not a bad deal.

I signed up for SlingTV as well but will probably drop it as soon as the playoffs are over. The wife might beg to differ though because it's also giving her access to her HGTV. LOL.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I signed up for SlingTV as well but will probably drop it as soon as the playoffs are over. The wife might beg to differ though because it's also giving her access to her HGTV. LOL.

Yeah, my wife likes that and Food Network for background television.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally jumped on the Roku bandwagon. Got the Roku streaming stick today. Looooove it so far. I got tired of using my iPad to watch tv so I figured it was time to watch it on my actual tv.

I still don't regret cutting the cord. It does help things considerably if you know someone with a cable subscription, however.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Anyone who uses Kodi have any good ideas on sports apps? Castaway and SportDevil hardly ever have accessible streams.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Anyone who uses Kodi have any good ideas on sports apps? Castaway and SportDevil hardly ever have accessible streams.

"Pro Sport"

Pulls streams from Reddit. Most NBA streams are 720p 60fps which is pretty damn impressive. The other sports are a little hit and miss as far as quality.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"Pro Sport"

Pulls streams from Reddit. Most NBA streams are 720p 60fps which is pretty damn impressive. The other sports are a little hit and miss as far as quality.

I'll check that one out.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that I am in mesa, all my cheap rabbit ear suck...cant seem to find a good solution outside of using an outdoor antenna which is a lot of work. I need to fix it soon as football season is getting close. I dont get fox or a bunch of other channels.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outdoor antenna is worth it. Do you still have existing satellite cables? Do what I did and mount the TV antenna where the satellite was and use those existing coax cables.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outdoor antenna is worth it. Do you still have existing satellite cables? Do what I did and mount the TV antenna where the satellite was and use those existing coax cables.
hmmmm I didnt think of that. My concern was running wire in all the walls but if it is already in the walls....I should have a splitter in the attic I could tap in to...now if it could just be 80 degrees for a high today I will go up there...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm I didnt think of that. My concern was running wire in all the walls but if it is already in the walls....I should have a splitter in the attic I could tap in to...now if it could just be 80 degrees for a high today I will go up there...

I physically removed the satellite. You could just as easy go the splitter route too. Should save a lot of trouble with the wiring.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I physically removed the satellite. You could just as easy go the splitter route too. Should save a lot of trouble with the wiring.

Yeah there is no satellite on my house however there was something, satellite or cable prior. where the satellite went into the home, there has to be a splitter that goes to all the rooms in the house so I could feed right into that. I'm rather excited about this solution I just have to figure out where the coax begins so I can post an antenna right there and feed in to it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just use a "coupler" fitting and mate the new antennae short coax to the "in" lead the DTV used. Just about every house built since the early 80s had in wall coax routing to each room served.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson