Chandler Jones Extension Market

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so tired of this debate. Dude has been lights out AFTER a huge contract already so he’s PROVEN he’s NOT contract year guy. He had a BICEPS injury, which obviously has not affected his performance. Meanwhile, the same guy who gave Jermaine Gresham a ridiculous contract is dicking around with one of the most productive and popular players on the team.

we make stupid contract decisions all the time. This one, I would be willing to gamble making a huge mistake on. The players in the locker room are all watching how the Cardinals handle this…. and so are players from other teams.
Meh... take emotion out of it. It’s business. Smart teams don’t give long term deals for huge money to a guy that will be close to 33 after next year. 2-3 year deal max imo.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Meh... take emotion out of it. It’s business. Smart teams don’t give long term deals for huge money to a guy that will be close to 33 after next year. 2-3 year deal max imo.
we are not the Patriots. We don’t have the clout yet to dictate terms. The damage it will do to be a hard-ass with him far outweighs the damage of yet another contract we overpaid.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we are not the Patriots. We don’t have the clout yet to dictate terms. The damage it will do to be a hard-ass with him far outweighs the damage of yet another contract we overpaid.
We’ve seen the damage of being cap strapped and having too much dead money already it can be crippling to building a good roster. He could be hof this year and literally fall off a cliff next year. At this age you just can’t tell or predict.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
We’ve seen the damage of being cap strapped and having too much dead money already it can be crippling to building a good roster. He could be hof this year and literally fall off a cliff next year. At this age you just can’t tell or predict.
i agree with your business logic. For most players (Buddha, Hassan) I would agree we need to be fiscally reasonable. Chandler has been HOF for us. From a Cardinals standpoint, this is not a guy you want going out like PP. He might have been drafted by the Pat’s, but he is AZ all the way.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Chandler doesn’t have the injury wear and tear on his body. He’s also not solely speed based. There have been good pass rushers that go into their mid 30s... Reggie White, Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware. I don’t think he settled for anything less than a 3 year deal and shouldn’t.

the guy is an INSANELY good/consistent pass rusher. A good leader who never talks crap about the offense and doesn’t slough off on the run.

that said if he doesn’t take a three year deal, you franchise him to make one more big run before Kyler’s contract balloons.
This, his length is absurd and he's a master technician... still think that three years is what I would shoot for, but he has the prereq to be the exception to mere physical ability

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Which recent teams are you thinking of?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which recent teams are you thinking of?
I can’t say exactly the year. You’re better at that stuff. But we had a year we had like 20 million in dead cap space? Can you remeber the year? Under current GM

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not all of it sure but he’s coming into a contract year after being injured/ineffective and requesting a trade in frustration. He also declined to speak publicly after the greatest performance of his career. If you don’t think he might be a little more motivated this season idk what to tell ya.
If you think he ever needed that to motivate him I don’t know how you account for the ENTIRE REST OF HIS HOF CAREER.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can’t say exactly the year. You’re better at that stuff. But we had a year we had like 20 million in dead cap space? Can you remeber the year? Under current GM
Kyler’s rookie season? That’s because we signed a bunch of dumb free agents and traded our #1 pick after his rookie season—not keeping our own guys.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The argument against franchising Jones is that it screws up the teams contract timelines a bit. You want the last year of his contract (or an easy out the following year) to be 2024 to account for contracts for Marco Wilson, Isaiah Simmons, Zaven Collins, and Rondale Moore. I know this is projecting a lot, but that is what long term cap planning is about. Are the big dollar cap years coinciding with initial low cap contract extension years. The other this is that I still want to maximize the talent around Kyler as long as possible due to his size.

Ultimately, the Calais Campbell comp is very appropriate and as of now, Jones and Von Miller are both the top FA pass rush options next year. You don't want him to test the market and you don't want more negative PR for a guy who seems to be exactly what you want in a vet player and leader on your team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The argument against franchising Jones is that it screws up the teams contract timelines a bit. You want the last year of his contract (or an easy out the following year) to be 2024 to account for contracts for Marco Wilson, Isaiah Simmons, Zaven Collins, and Rondale Moore. I know this is projecting a lot, but that is what long term cap planning is about. Are the big dollar cap years coinciding with initial low cap contract extension years. The other this is that I still want to maximize the talent around Kyler as long as possible due to his size.

Ultimately, the Calais Campbell comp is very appropriate and as of now, Jones and Von Miller are both the top FA pass rush options next year. You don't want him to test the market and you don't want more negative PR for a guy who seems to be exactly what you want in a vet player and leader on your team.

Sure, but the flip side of that is that Keim isn't going to pay $23m a year when he can get what are likely the last 2 good years out of CJ for about $38 combined with consecutive tags. It's going to play a much bigger part in negotiations than it would with a 26 year old.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure, but the flip side of that is that Keim isn't going to pay $23m a year when he can get what are likely the last 2 good years out of CJ for about $38 combined with consecutive tags. It's going to play a much bigger part in negotiations than it would with a 26 year old.
Franchise tag for DE is projected at 20 mil. For LB nearly 18 mil. Is the difference between a happy and productive captain of your franchise and a hold-out disgruntled captain at one of the most important positions on your team worth 3 to 5 mil? It sure as hell should be if you priorities are in the right place.

EDIT: The only thing Keim is going to do with that extra 3 to 5 mil per season is pay 7.8 mil to get 30% snaps from Devon Kennard and/or 12 mil for Jordan Phillips.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Franchise tag for DE is projected at 20 mil. For LB nearly 18 mil. Is the difference between a happy and productive captain of your franchise and a hold-out disgruntled captain at one of the most important positions on your team worth 3 to 5 mil? It sure as hell should be if you priorities are in the right place.

He's a LB. The projected tag next year is $17.8m so would be $22.2m the year after. $40m total.

It's not about the AYP as much as the length of the deal and the guarantees. The drop off is going to come sooner rather than later. You don;t want to be left holding a $20m bag when that happens.

Tagging him wouldn't be my preferred option. But it is an option and it will play heavily in negotiations.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There were some legitimate concerns about his play last year - I don't know how you quell those concerns more effectively than a 5 sack/2 forced fumble game.

Pay him for 3 years, and eliminate the distraction.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Cheaper to tag him twice
He's already been tagged once, so that tag goes up the second time around, and a third time pays him top-5 total in the league (hi 30s at the moment). Not sure what the value is, but it doesnt help negotiations much except to ensure he's on the team next year.

I’m sure this will be a very unpopular opinion but I believe talking contract after his career game is a mistake. Give it some time. He is under contract this year and we could tag him next year (not a fan of that). If he stays healthy and produces during the year, then pay him.

This is a message board, so much of the discussion is for sheer entertainment. But Jones is a known commodity. This is not like trying to forecast what Reddick will do. Jones is an all-pro pass rusher who has flirted with the single sack record in his career. IF he's not the best pure pass rusher in the league, he's no worse than Top-3. If I'm Keim, I put down the Cuervo and get this thing done

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all of course but most of the people clamoring to just bite the bullet and give CJ what he wants at almost 32 is the same group of folks that wanted Fitz back last year and again this year and willing to pay “whatever” “his leadership is worth it” blah blah….

We’re getting in the age range regardless of his performance Sunday that players fall off a cliff. It happens fast. It has to be considered in negotiations. Length of contract etc needs to be carefully thought out.

I absolutely want to sign him but jmo anything longer then 3 years is a mistake.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not all of course but most of the people clamoring to just bite the bullet and give CJ what he wants at almost 32 is the same group of folks that wanted Fitz back last year and again this year and willing to pay “whatever” “his leadership is worth it” blah blah….

We’re getting in the age range regardless of his performance Sunday that players fall off a cliff. It happens fast. It has to be considered in negotiations. Length of contract etc needs to be carefully thought out.

I absolutely want to sign him but jmo anything longer then 3 years is a mistake.
Jones' game has never been predicated on speed rushes. Look at every one of his sacks, and none of them were pure speed rushes.

I loved that sack he had were got Lewan to punch at him off balanced and he grabbed and pulled him forward while running by him. He's a technician. Just like that Colts DE that we signed during the Arians era (name escapes me right now), he should be pretty productive even at year 35.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Massive difference between Fitz and Jones. Fitz had no chance of being tops at his position ages 36 and up. He was a bit player at best after that time. Jones is 31 and by all accounts, takes excellent care of his body. Rarely have I seen a player who can put on 30 lbs of good weight in an offseaon to play 4-3 DE and then lose it the following offseason to play 3-4 OLB.

A four-year extension puts his next contract year at age 35, which is not horrible, to be honest. If you can somehow get him to sign a three-year deal, cool, but if that fourth year ends up being the difference between keeping him and losing him, it's not worth penny-pinching

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's already been tagged once, so that tag goes up the second time around, and a third time pays him top-5 total in the league (hi 30s at the moment). Not sure what the value is, but it doesnt help negotiations much except to ensure he's on the team next year.

This is a message board, so much of the discussion is for sheer entertainment. But Jones is a known commodity. This is not like trying to forecast what Reddick will do. Jones is an all-pro pass rusher who has flirted with the single sack record in his career. IF he's not the best pure pass rusher in the league, he's no worse than Top-3. If I'm Keim, I put down the Cuervo and get this thing done

It was a none exclusive tag before so doesn't count. I also believe they have to be consecutive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose