Chandler Jones Extension Market

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the Cards' top priority will be extending Kyler Murray. Chandler Jones has gotten off to a blistering start. Projected LB franchise tag number is $17.9 mil.

T.J. Watt just re-set the market.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Worse case I want out after 2 years with a 31 year old.

3 years, 66 mil, 40m guaranteed
Likely would’ve been a similar contract prior to the season, not now.

They’re going to ask for something more like three for 80, 50 guaranteed.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...
The difference is JJ Watt is not the JJ Watt he was before. He still quite good. Outside of his bicep injury, there’s no evidence that CJ has dropped off at all.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The difference is JJ Watt is not the JJ Watt he was before. He still quite good. Outside of his bicep injury, there’s no evidence that CJ has dropped off at all.
Well, CJ did miss virtually the entire year last season... and of course, one game is never the basis for contract discussions. And JJ played an insane number of snaps last season and was double-teamed more than any other d-lineman.
I'm not sure I would agree that a 31-year old CJ is significantly more "CJ" as compared to a 31year-old JJ Watt still being "JJ Watt."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will definitely be smaller than TJ Watt, but more than if they would have extended him before Game 1.

3 year 70M with 45 in guarantees works for me.

If not, I'd franchise him, hell maybe even twice.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calais stayed productive after 31 too. Chandler in all likelyhood the same. 3 year deal sounds right. I think the extension happens in the next few weeks assuming Chandler lights it up one more time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Jones played yesterday the time off he had due to injury appears to be a blessing. Not a curse. (For this season of course, not last season). His explosiveness off the ball yesterday was as great as it has ever been. Last year, he looked a tad off in those early games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilsmann