Chandler Jones Extension Market

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should have said before but I think this was Chandlers best ever game in the NFL.

Not just the sacks but TFL's and FF's.

All his sacks except the first were true pass rush wins. All different, all high quality and against quality O linemen.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I’m sure this will be a very unpopular opinion but I believe talking contract after his career game is a mistake. Give it some time. He is under contract this year and we could tag him next year (not a fan of that). If he stays healthy and produces during the year, then pay him.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Chandler had a dream game to prove his point of view... I do not see the Cardinals having a choice now for PR reasons alone, but I am also sure the Cardinals are happy to do so after wisely seeing if he still had the goods :raccoon:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...

there is no comparison between JJ Watt and Chandler Jones at this stage in there careers.

in the past 6 season Watt has played a full season twice. At his peak Watt was maybe the best ever I don’t think that’s a stretch but he’s def on the downside. He a supporting player at this point and I’m happy to have him

but Chandler money wise is in the TJ conversation

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, CJ did miss virtually the entire year last season... and of course, one game is never the basis for contract discussions. And JJ played an insane number of snaps last season and was double-teamed more than any other d-lineman.
I'm not sure I would agree that a 31-year old CJ is significantly more "CJ" as compared to a 31year-old JJ Watt still being "JJ Watt."

wow

JJ Watts best year came in 2012

Chandlers best year came in 2019

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I waffle on this, because CJ is one of my top 4 favorite players on this team. I don't know what the answer is to replacing him if we don't pay up, but how do we pay him and Kyler, along with the overwhelming amount of positions we need to fill next year?

This is that exact moment where you might be at the cliff of his production. His team is going to demand something too long to get out of.

I'd do it for a JJ Watt-esque contract, but I doubt he'll do that.

Of course, all of this is predicated on how this year goes. If we have a deep playoff run and are "All-In" for one more year, we'll figure it out and mortgage the future for a last gasp at the Super Bowl. If we're just a wild card with a first round exit, I think I save the money to spread it out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones will be 32 when entering the '22 season. The key issue will be just how reasonable will he be?
The reality is that JJ Watt is the better Watt-comparison versus TJ. JJ recently recently turned 32... Chandler turns 32 in Feb, so at the start of the '22 season, Chandler will be a little older than JJ was at the start of this season...though that's probably immaterial.
But, JJ agreed to a very reasonable 2-year deal, with $23M guaranteed. I personally would be pleasantly surprised if Chandler agreed to a 2-year deal...

Chandler doesn’t have the injury wear and tear on his body. He’s also not solely speed based. There have been good pass rushers that go into their mid 30s... Reggie White, Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware. I don’t think he settled for anything less than a 3 year deal and shouldn’t.

the guy is an INSANELY good/consistent pass rusher. A good leader who never talks crap about the offense and doesn’t slough off on the run.

that said if he doesn’t take a three year deal, you franchise him to make one more big run before Kyler’s contract balloons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have said before but I think this was Chandlers best ever NFL.

Not just the sacks but TFL's and FF's.

All his sacks except the first were true pass rush wins. All different, all high quality and against quality O linemen.

yeah. He was a man possessed yesterday.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I am so tired of this debate. Dude has been lights out AFTER a huge contract already so he’s PROVEN he’s NOT contract year guy. He had a BICEPS injury, which obviously has not affected his performance. Meanwhile, the same guy who gave Jermaine Gresham a ridiculous contract is dicking around with one of the most productive and popular players on the team.

we make stupid contract decisions all the time. This one, I would be willing to gamble making a huge mistake on. The players in the locker room are all watching how the Cardinals handle this…. and so are players from other teams.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler doesn’t have the injury wear and tear on his body. He’s also not solely speed based. There have been good pass rushers that go into their mid 30s... Reggie White, Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware. I don’t think he settled for anything less than a 3 year deal and shouldn’t.

the guy is an INSANELY good/consistent pass rusher. A good leader who never talks crap about the offense and doesn’t slough off on the run.

that said if he doesn’t take a three year deal, you franchise him to make one more big run before Kyler’s contract balloons.
100%

he has the type of game that isn’t based on athleticism. People around the league say he has the best hands in the game for a pass rusher he keeps guys off of him

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has to be extended, period.

I don’t think tagging him is an option because players actually do have leverage against the tag by refusing to play or demanding a trade. I hate when that happens, but it does happen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hesitation in giving him a new deal in the offseason was due to the fact he was coming off of injury. He addressed that pretty emphatically yesterday, have to find a way to pay him.

had the same thought. And to be honest, I’d like to see another couple games before they back up the brinks trunk. But the more I think about it, the more names come to mind about the best pass rushers continuing to kill the QB into their mid-30s. John Abraham was another example of that playing GREAT ball at 34-35 for us in that NASTY D with him, Dansby and Washington as three of four linebackers on that 2013 first Arians team.

and the reality is that Jones IS one of those guys. One of the best ever to rush the passer. He doesn’t get put in that rarified air, but save the beginning of last year, the guy has been an ABSOLUTE BEAST his entire career.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Let’s enjoy the contact year. There’s a reason most players look dominant in the last season of their deal.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
100%

he has the type of game that isn’t based on athleticism. People around the league say he has the best hands in the game for a pass rusher he keeps guys off of him
No just hands, he is fond of yoga and he has amazing body flexibility and crazy hips and ankle to bend and gaining leverage against the lineman
He can be effective till 35/36

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Except he’s looked dominant in virtually every year, so pinning this year on it being a contract year is kinda silly imo.

Not all of it sure but he’s coming into a contract year after being injured/ineffective and requesting a trade in frustration. He also declined to speak publicly after the greatest performance of his career. If you don’t think he might be a little more motivated this season idk what to tell ya.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose