Cards sign OL Hjalte Froholdt

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A screenshot of an SI article from 2017 is not the slam dunk case you think it is.
Ok what you got? The way these athletic freaks today are jumping around the line creating havoc from both sides. Etc…. It’s def not the same as it used to be where teams just stuck there #1 pass rusher in the right side of the D and left them there. Times have changed.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
San Francisco's OC is a guy named Jake Brendel. He's 31 years old and an undrafted free agent.
Seattle's OC Evan Brown is 27 years old and playing on his fifth team in five NFL seasons.
Is this the part where we start naming randos acting like it pertains to everything Arizona?

What is it in here? Is everyone related to FroGOAT or something and forgot to tell a hippie? There has to be some type of nepotism in play here lol

Why doesn't anyone want a quality center? Why doesn't Kyler Murray deserve a quality center?

Centers are important - this is not an opinion - RT is also important - also not an opinion - if they both suck they should both be upgraded

This okayness with substandard lineman is why we can't have nice things - like pockets - and sustainable drives - and healthy quarterbacks

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok what you got? The way these athletic freaks today are jumping around the line creating havoc from both sides. Etc…. It’s def not the same as it used to be where teams just stuck there #1 pass rusher in the right side of the D and left them there. Times have changed.

Additionally, the right guard goes head-to-head against the opposition's best 3-technique more often than not.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is this the part where we start naming randos acting like it pertains to everything Arizona?

What is it in here? Is everyone related to FroGOAT or something and forgot to tell a hippie? There has to be some type of nepotism in play here lol

Why doesn't anyone want a quality center? Why doesn't Kyler Murray deserve a quality center?

Centers are important - this is not an opinion - RT is also important - also not an opinion - if they both suck they should both be upgraded

This okayness with substandard lineman is why we can't have nice things - like pockets - and sustainable drives - and healthy quarterbacks

The 'casual fan' neglects to note that FRO is in his first full season at the position; that experience matters, and, as mentioned, 6 of the top 7 rated centres are 30-years old+.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is a better argument to me, but I dunno.

The #10 RT in contract apy is Jack Conklin (CLE) at $15 mil.
RG is Austin Corbett (CAR) at $8.75 mil.
C is Ethan Pocic (CLE) at $6 mil.
LG is Andrus Peat (NO) at $5.5 mil.
LT is The Captain (ARI) at $17 mil.

So, judging by what teams are willing to pay, you're probably right. They get the second-least amount of help and they face a lot of good edge rushers. (BTW: my methodology for using the #10 contract is to identify a relatively good mid-level free agent value and skip over franchise guys and screen out cost-controlled rookies).

The real value is at LG. Look at the price differentials between the top 5 contracts and everyone else. Quenton Nelson makes $20MM a year! It kind of highlights how criminal it was for Monti to completely punt on the position this offseason and how relatively easy a fix it could be next year.

Can FroGOAT be the 4th or 5th best starting OL on a playoff-caliber line? I think so. I don't know why you're putting so much energy into this when there's a burning dumpster fire directly to his left. Look around the NFL and show me a strong correlation between youth and draft status and good offensive line play overall, or even good offenses. I haven't found one.

Resources are still limited in 2024. I'd prefer to spend them upgrading the superfund site on our defensive line than worry about upgrading two OL positions. I'm willing to be convinced that FroGOAT is a disaster, but I don't see a ton of evidence of that as yet.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The 'casual fan' neglects to note that FRO is in his first full season at the position; that experience matters, and, as mentioned, 6 of the top 7 rated centres are 30-years old+.
Which is why you sign players with experience at the position you sign them for - you're just making excuses - because it's not like he's improving - quite the opposite

And great job on the 'casual fan' dunk there Mr Cleverman - lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have access to PFF but FWIW...

Fro is ranked #19 out of 32 Centers

Mason Cole (we drafted in 3rd round 2018) is one spot above him.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've fell for this before. After the ones you can see the rest are random, not in order.

Frank Ragnow has an 80 grade and is near last.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Can FroGOAT be the 4th or 5th best starting OL on a playoff-caliber line? I think so. I don't know why you're putting so much energy into this when there's a burning dumpster fire directly to his left. Look around the NFL and show me a strong correlation between youth and draft status and good offensive line play overall, or even good offenses. I haven't found one.

lol I could literally be the 5th best starting OL on a playoff-caliber team - you too for that matter - remind me again how many players are on a O-line

And why would you want your Center to be the worst player on your O-line? We just went over the importance of the position

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
lol I could literally be the 5th best starting OL on a playoff-caliber team - you too for that matter - remind me again how many players are on a O-line

And why would you want your Center to be the worst player on your O-line? We just went over the importance of the position
There are five starters on an OL.

I guess from a physical talent perspective, I'm comfortable with my OC being the worst athlete or whatever on the OL because he has help on both sides and also potentially from a running back. It's more important to be able to make the line calls correctly and process what's happening in front of you from a blitz/stunt perspective than whatever you're worried about.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
There are five starters on an OL.

I guess from a physical talent perspective, I'm comfortable with my OC being the worst athlete or whatever on the OL because he has help on both sides and also potentially from a running back. It's more important to be able to make the line calls correctly and process what's happening in front of you from a blitz/stunt perspective than whatever you're worried about.
He can't read and misses blitzes - he gets fooled by stunts - multiple holding penalties - and couldn't remember the damn snap count on more than one occasion - but sure bro

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm going to try and take a month off from discussing Froholdt - barring any major circumstances

I also expect this post to get about 3K likes but that's okay lol
this close to harvest I always liked to watch my buds too...talk to them a little,...see how they sparkle...

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is why you sign players with experience at the position you sign them for - you're just making excuses - because it's not like he's improving - quite the opposite

And great job on the 'casual fan' dunk there Mr Cleverman - lol

Giving you 'reasons' not 'excuses,' there's a difference.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the draft could provide an opportunity to draft a replacement for Humphries but I am not signing a big name FA or reaching for a drafted player just to move on. More focused on LG in FA
I definitely agree. I go Fashanu if:

1) the Cardinals can't get MHJ.

2) a trade package that is hard to pass up is offered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree. I go Fashanu if:

1) the Cardinals can't get MHJ.

2) a trade package that is hard to pass up is offered.
Bookend good to great OTs and a good QB (with the potential to be great) is the recipe for playoff appearances for the next five years, even with a bad defense (and there’s nothing to say the D can’t be addressed in FA and other picks in a draft where we’re chock full of them.

If we’ve got a shot at THE blue-chip OT in the draft, I think we need to take him and really invest in the trenches in a way we’ve never done before.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

For everyone who said that relying on Froholdt to be our starting center was an egregious move by Monti, remember that the Steelers signed Mason Cole to a 3 year deal.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

For everyone who said that relying on Froholdt to be our starting center was an egregious move by Monti, remember that the Steelers signed Mason Cole to a 3 year deal.
Did you even see Froholdt today? He was in the backfield more than Conner was - damn near sacked Murray himself

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison