Cards hire Whisenhunt - Now It's Official

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
whizzinator doesnt have a staff. So he will keep our great assistants. THis is not an improvement. THis is a 3 year step back. By then most of our good players contracts will be expiring and we will have no coach, no skill players and Leinart.

So...this puts you "officially" in the "bad-hire" camp? To you, this is a bad bet? Because I know a little about your betting history...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they really liked what they heard. I thought they might wait a couple of days for Cameron. But, if they really think he's the guy that's the best, then it was a good thing to get him signed.

All I can do is cross my fingers and hope they got the right guy this time. With our old assistants, or new ones.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
maybe he can get something out of Ross since he knows him from his Pitt days.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing about Whisenhunt, I think he will get the most out of James as well as Leinart. Pittsburgh didn't throw the ball all over the place, but they were a big play passing attack under him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think this also shows that Sherman was probably the 1st choice and they couldn't agree to a contract.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Who said he doesn't have a staff? The Fox article says he has already been calling some assistants...and that he may keep some or all of the Defensive assistants with the team...does not say he has to keep anyone...I think he'll bring in an entirely new offensive staff.

Personally, I like most of our assistants who are still under contract like Frank Bush, Mike Wilson, Steve Loney and Larry Brooks. I'm not a huge Pendergast fan, but he might do better under another coach.

At least Solomon, Hargrave and Zauner are gone.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So...this puts you "officially" in the "bad-hire" camp? To you, this is a bad bet? Because I know a little about your betting history...

This year I started betting with 15 bucks left in my online account, I just pulled out 900 and have 300 left so this is a bad bet yes. Id rather have Green!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this also shows that Sherman was probably the 1st choice and they couldn't agree to a contract.

If so, I'm even happier. Yes, Whisenhunt is unknown, but I had a bad feeling about Sherman getting the job.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
I can't be optimistic at this point. The choice of Wisenhunt was made by the same people who chose Green, Mac, etc.. No change at the top equates to no real changes on the field, especially if the current assistants are kept. I would love a Saints like turnaround next year but being a long time Cardinals follower I don't expect any greatness until Graves and Michael (and Mr B) are replaced. Does that mean never? I don't know. Graves. Michael and Bill in control = 6-10 at best.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This year I started betting with 15 bucks left in my online account, I just pulled out 900 and have 300 left so this is a bad bet yes. Id rather have Green!

yeah but how much did you start with before you got down to 15$:D .

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently you only post about bad bets you've made then.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I can't be optimistic at this point. The choice of Wisenhunt was made by the same people who chose Green, Mac, etc.. No change at the top equates to no real changes on the field, especially if the current assistants are kept. I would love a Saints like turnaround next year but being a long time Cardinals follower I don't expect any greatness until Graves and Michael (and Mr B) are replaced. Does that mean never? I don't know. Graves. Michael and Bill in control = 6-10 at best.

You have to give the B's a little credit on this one, though...With Mac, they bypassed a lot of veteran coaches and stayed really cheap by promoting him. With Green they went for the Big Name and Big Ego coach, instead of someone new and up and coming...At least with Whisenhunt they are getting someone up and coming and probably cheap, so it's the best of both worlds for them.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done Deal

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 14, 2007 10:48 AM The Cardinals have hired Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator, as their head coach, according to NFL sources.

The Cardinals hired Whisenhunt after interviewing him Friday and Saturday. Because Monday is Martin Luther King Jr Day, Whisenhunt is expected to be introduced at a press conference on Tuesday.

Whisenhunt, 44, has been the Steelers offensive coordinator the past three years, and is known as a bold play-caller who also places heavy emphasis on a strong running game. His work with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger likely helped him get the Cardinals job. In Arizona, he’ll work with Matt Leinart, the 10th overall pick in last year’s draft. advertisement
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
You must be registered for see images

Whisenhunt becomes the Cardinals seventh head coach since they moved to Arizona in 1988, and he replaces Dennis Green, who was fired after going 16-32 in three season.

Whisenhunt was a hot candidate for several jobs and had interviews with the Steelers, Falcons and the Dolphins. Last year, he turned down the opportunity to coach the Raiders. He and fellow assistants were top candidates to replace Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers haven’t moved quickly to hire Cowher’s successor. If Whisenhunt had waited for the Steelers’ job, he might have been shut out of other opportunities.

A graduate of Georgia Tech, Whisenhunt played nine seasons in the NFL as a tight end and H-back. When he retired from playing in 1993, Whisenhunt concentrated on his golf game, getting down to a 4-handicap, but he became bored with that after a short time, according to a story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

One of his former coaches, Rod Dowhower, then got the head coaching job at Vanderbilt and hired Whisenhunt as special teams and tight ends coach.

Since then, he’s been climbing the ladder of the coaching profession.

He’s coached 10 seasons in the NFL and has worked for Baltimore, Cleveland, the Jets and the Steelers.

He came to the Steelers in 2001 and coached tight ends for three seasons. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2004 when the Steelers went 14-1 with Roethlisberger as the starter and made it to the AFC title game.

In 2005, the Steelers got hot at the end of the year and made an amazing run that ended in a Super Bowl title. Whisenhunt and his wife Alice have two children, Kenneth and Mary Ashley.

Whisenhunt’s coaching resume.

1995-1996 Vanderbilt University Special Teams, Tight Ends & H-backs

1997-1998 Baltimore Ravens Tight Ends

1999 Cleveland Browns Special Teams

2000 New York Jets Tight Ends

2001-2003 Pittsburgh Steelers Tight Ends

2004-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator

OP
OP
Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
One thing is for sure... Wisenhunt will build up this offensive line so he can use Edge in every possible way.

Joe Thomas is a lock if he is on the board when we pick.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
One thing is for sure... Wisenhunt will build up this offensive line so he can use Edge in every possible way.

Joe Thomas is a lock if he is on the board when we pick.

He also might insist Davis is Franchised or re-signed.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score

Congratualtions!

Green would be a bad bet based on his recent track record. The Wiz would appear to be a good bet based on his recent track record.

I said I would give Green three-years when he was hired. He got them. The Wiz will get the same deal, at least from me.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
You have to give the B's a little credit on this one, though...With Mac, they bypassed a lot of veteran coaches and stayed really cheap by promoting him. With Green they went for the Big Name and Big Ego coach, instead of someone new and up and coming...At least with Whisenhunt they are getting someone up and coming and probably cheap, so it's the best of both worlds for them.

I think the key word is "cheap" lol