Cards hire Whisenhunt - Now It's Official

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Ken!

Even though he was not my personal first choice, I am happy and have just downed a pitcher of kool-aid, and am anticipating the first press conference Tuesday.

I wonder if Anquan being the younger and stronger version of Hines Ward has Whis already scheming. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
With Mac, they bypassed a lot of veteran coaches and stayed really cheap by promoting him

My take is pure speculation but I've always believed that the Bidwills promoted McGinnis because they didn't want him leaving to be a HC somewhere else like Fassel who was having real success in NY that season.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
One thing about Whisenhunt, I think he will get the most out of James as well as Leinart. Pittsburgh didn't throw the ball all over the place, but they were a big play passing attack under him.

He has said that he would cater his gameplan around his talent. So while I see him getting a lot of of the OL and Edge, I also see him using Leinart more so than Big Ben.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score

My take is pure speculation but I've always believed that the Bidwills promoted McGinnis because they didn't want him leaving to be a HC somewhere else like Fassel who was having real success in NY that season.

I had the impression they wanted to make a change mid-season, because the whole team had quit. Mac tookover mid year, and I think we went on to win like 5 out of 7, or something. We even beat the Raiders at their home stadium - first to do that in like 2 years.

We started the next season 4 and 2 ... and then the bottom dropped out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has said that he would cater his gameplan around his talent. So while I see him getting a lot of of the OL and Edge, I also see him using Leinart more so than Big Ben.

Oh, I agree that he'll throw a lot more than he did in Pittsburgh. But, I don't think we'll see many games with attempts in the 40s or where we ran the ball six times.

And, that's a good thing.

Gambit

Reaction score
Oh, I agree that he'll throw a lot more than he did in Pittsburgh. But, I don't think we'll see many games with attempts in the 40s or where we ran the ball six times.

And, that's a good thing.

Definately. That should never happen in the NFL.

Gambit

Reaction score
Even though he was not my personal first choice, I am happy and have just downed a pitcher of kool-aid, and am anticipating the first press conference Tuesday.

I wonder if Anquan being the younger and stronger version of Hines Ward has Whis already scheming. :D

Pass the Kool-Aid pitcher over this way!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kinda on the Chow bandwagon, but the article Arizona's Finest posted made me rethink my position. Having a relatively young person with fresh ideas and more able to relate to the younger players has some merit.

All that being said---Welcome aboard Mr. Whisenhunt. You have my full and unadulterated backing. Please bring back the Cardinals of the mid 1970's. If you do, you will become immortilized in the NFL Hall of Fame.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
not the canidate i wanted, but i am willing to give him a chance. just win baby.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I don't think the contract is very cheap. There are a lot openings in the NFL and I don't Wisenhunt would sign a low contract.

What would draw this conclusion? The guy was a Tight End/ Special Teams coach before Pitt gave him an OC opportunity. Frankly I would rather have had Mike Kryscheck sp At least he was a head coach in college. I am not down on Whisenhunt as much as I am so very upset with the Bidwills and the way they run this NFL franchise. They have there heads up there arses as usual. This is a guy the front office can run and be forced to keep there under contract assistants(read Pendergast). With a new stadium, more revenue streams and a fickle Arizona FAN BASE everyone this Sunday except us diehards are saying WHO????? Whisenhunt very well maybe a fine coach and I would suspect he is, but it doesn't change the fact that the owners are inept at everything football. The proof is in the pudding as they say. One playoff in Arizona. Only 4 times in my Lifetime, I am 40, they have owned the team the entire time. I will not give them the benefit of the doubt. I have to many times and as a season ticketholder I want more.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
..... and I think we went on to win like 5 out of 7, or something. We even beat the Raiders at their home stadium - first to do that in like 2 years.

That was the following season, 2001.

From the time McGinnis took over in 2000 until a Nov 18th win over the Lions started the run you mention, the Cards lost 14 of 17 games.

The Cards then win 9 of next 14 before losing 9 of last 10 in 2002 when every wide receiver within 500 miles of Phoenix got hurt.

It's things like the above that guarantee there's never a dull moment for Cardinal fans.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think it will prove to be a great hire! He was my 1st choice as well. The more
I read about Cameron's potential as a HC the more nervous I was because I had a feeling they were going to wait until the Chargers were out of the playoffs! I am very pumped up about this hire and think the Steelers might regret not pulling the trigger on him right away!
I just do not understand the intrigue with this guy. The Steelers were a definsive team that played smashmouth football and ran the ball to control the clock. Do we have that kind of personel on this team? Do we have that kind of depth? The simple answer is no. This hire puts us to rebuilding and sets the team back 3 seasons. His offenses in Pitt were dull and with out the Bus last year they plain out stunk running the ball and relied on trick plays. I will not blame Whisenhunt. He was on other teams list. I will blame the Bidwills and there ineptness for not finding the ideal candidate for our personel. I as a season ticketholder am not suprised at the front office. This is a guy they can force there under contract assistants on, and a guy they can control. He has a Tightend/SpecialTeam coach before Pitt gave him OC job. With new revenue streams, a new stadium and a Fickle Arizona Fan Base ready to jump ship everyone but the diehards are saying WHO??? Get used to seeing half of the new stadium filled with opposing fans. Thanks Bidwills.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
What would draw this conclusion? The guy was a Tight End/ Special Teams coach before Pitt gave him an OC opportunity. Frankly I would rather have had Mike Kryscheck sp At least he was a head coach in college. I am not down on Whisenhunt as much as I am so very upset with the Bidwills and the way they run this NFL franchise. They have there heads up there arses as usual. This is a guy the front office can run and be forced to keep there under contract assistants(read Pendergast). With a new stadium, more revenue streams and a fickle Arizona FAN BASE everyone this Sunday except us diehards are saying WHO????? Whisenhunt very well maybe a fine coach and I would suspect he is, but it doesn't change the fact that the owners are inept at everything football. The proof is in the pudding as they say. One playoff in Arizona. Only 4 times in my Lifetime, I am 40, they have owned the team the entire time. I will not give them the benefit of the doubt. I have to many times and as a season ticketholder I want more.

He seems energetic and he seems reasonably bright, although taking this job and taking on a DC that sucks when you're forte is Offense from a Defensive identy team who runs an offense that relies on a run game we don't have yet and won't for some time mitigates that line of thinking a bit.

Geez, I'm gonna mark this down as having the fingerprints of the old man all over it.

Good luck Ken, you're going to need it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get used to seeing half of the new stadium filled with opposing fans. Thanks Bidwills.

Come on. There wasn't a coach they interviewed that would get more enemy fans out of the seats. Only Pete Carrol could've generated huge excitement in the public. Mike Sherman and Norm Chow sure as hell wouldn't have.