Cards Begin 14-Week Voluntary Off-Season Program

Jim O

Reaction score
Cards Begin 14-Week Voluntary Off-Season Program
You must be registered for see images

The Cardinals began their 14-week, voluntary off-season conditioning program Monday morning.

Some of the returning players hitting the weight room this morning included defensive linemen Bertrand Berry, Russell Davis, Darnell Dockett, Kenny King and Ross Kolodziej, linebacker Karlos Dansby, offensive linemen Anthony Clement, Nick Leckey, and Alan Reuber, quarterback Josh McCown, and running back Damien Anderson.

Click to finish the story and for pictures of players in the weight room!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russel Davis is looking in great shape, not a lot of fat on him for a 300+ lb guy.

Anthony Clement looks like he is really busting tail. ;)

Jim O who is that guy with the clip board talking to Warner.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Twist18 said:
I was really hoping to see the names of Wendall Bryant and Calvin Pace on there. :mad:

They didnt mention everyone that was there. They only mentioned "some" of the players that were there.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Some reason, I really find this pic funny.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Jim O who is that guy with the clip board talking to Warner.

That is our Strength and Conditioning Coach Steve Wetzel.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Im glad to see that so many people are giving it their all to make this team, we are going up and they know it. Wow Damien is a beast!!!!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
vince56 said:

My god Im about the same weight/height as Mccown and I lift double that. No wonder he fumbles.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I've got a bad shoulder and am half his size and can still do more than that.....

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
I've got a bad shoulder and am half his size and can still do more than that.....

Yeah... well maybe that one the reasons why you have a bad shoulder.

Nobody needs more than 45 lb. for that precise exercise.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
vince56 said:

I think that he is just keeping up with the OLD Man Warner! Josh could lift more... No need to bust an "O" ring...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Who knows that could've been on his 4th set of 30 reps.I see big guys at the gym doing light weights and alot of reps all the time.They probably have rep days and power days.Being the first day back,i doubt he's maxing out.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Who knows that could've been on his 4th set of 30 reps.I see big guys at the gym doing light weights and alot of reps all the time.They probably have rep days and power days.Being the first day back,i doubt he's maxing out.

Excellent Point!!!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Nice call Cbus!!

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
I believe the Cards strenght coach uses a weight lifting philosophy which was made popular by Mike Mentzer (former body builder) called High Intensity Training. This philosophy is used by most NFL teams and also at Penn State ad some other DI schools. It calls for lifting amd lowering a weight in a very slow and controlled manner. It also calls for just doing one set to complete failure so most of the time the weight being lifted will not be that impressive.

If you have ever tried to lower a weight in an 8 count and then lift the weight in a similarly slow count - it can really build alot of the "burn" in a muscle and you had better check your ego at the door regarding the amount of weight being lifted.

This is also a major point of disagreement among those in the strength and conditioning field. Should we train football players to lift weights in a slow and controlled manner using mostly machines (Cardinals method) enhancing body building characteristics. Or should we train football players in an explosive manner usign mostly freee weights - for example Olympic lifts?? Which is much more likely to enhance the characteristics needed on the football field.

Either way it is a great time to build that sense of "team" and it is good to see the rate of attendance. Go Cards!

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score

My god Im about the same weight/height as Mccown and I lift double that. No wonder he fumbles.[/QUOTE]

McCown? I thought it was Jim O showing off!!

Attachments

• mccownoffs.jpg
    mccownoffs.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 151

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Whoa Damien---looking tough.

Really? I'm not that impressed. He's in the middle of a curl and he still doesn't look all that impressive to me. :shrug:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Really? I'm not that impressed. He's in the middle of a curl and he still doesn't look all that impressive to me. :shrug:

C'mon Pariah. You'd kill to have a set of arms like that.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
C'mon Pariah. You'd kill to have a set of arms like that.
I really don't mean to brag (in fact, it's not bragging because I don't think it's all that impressive), but I do.

If he looked like that just picking up a cup of coffee, okay, that's impressive. But he looks that big because he lifting weights.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I really don't mean to brag (in fact, it's not bragging because I don't think it's all that impressive), but I do.

If he looked like that just picking up a cup of coffee, okay, that's impressive. But he looks that big because he lifting weights.

Yeah, well I don't look like that when I'm lifting weights and I'd venture to say about 95% of this board is in the same boat.

If you're built like that, remind me not to arm wrestle with you. :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison