End of Season Review

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Personally, I had the busiest year of my adult life, and thus was much less of a presence on the board. Side note: I thought the board really came into its own with quality over quantity this year, it was quiet, but what was there to talk about? The organization and team did all it could with what it had, IMO.

The story of the 2014 Cardinals was simple really, they were snake-bitten from the start, but played to the highest level they could considering the adversity.

The injury/suspension situation for 2014 was as follows:
1. Daryl Washington, LB - (4)
2. Darnell Dockett, DE - (2)
3. Eddie Whitley, CB - (2)
4. Dominique Williams, HB - (1)
5. Jonathan Dwyer, HB - (1)
6. John Abraham, OLB - (1)
7. Dave Zastudil, P - (2)
8. Carson Palmer, QB - (4)
9. Troy Niklas, TE - (4)
10. Andre Ellington, RB - (3)
11. Ed Stinson, DE - (4)
12. Andre Hardy, TE - (1)
13. Matt Shaughnessy, OLB* Missed a lot of time.

In my opinion the top 3 challenges to this organization where when:

- Carson Palmer
Palmer goes down with an ACL injury. Talk about taking the wind out of the sails of a team. They just signed Palmer to an extension, and just got Palmer back from a shoulder injury suffered week 1. Drew Stanton played well for a backup, but the offense was not the same.

- Daryl Washington
Washington screwed this organization. No two ways about it. The guy has thrown away his career, because you don't get your prime back, and he is in the top years of his NFL prime. Yet, he has lost 1 year, and will probably lose another 1 year. Not to mention he is a HUGE chunk of the salary cap. In today's NFL the linebacker that can cover those athletic tight ends are at a premium. I think the upcoming draft is going to reflect this, BTW. There was no replacement for Washington, and it showed on defense. Bucannon did a good job, but in the end Washington was missed.

- John Abraham
I spent the latter part of the year thinking about what would have been with Okafor and Abraham playing the OLBer positions. Then I thought about what would have been with Dockett, Campbell, Washington, Okafor, and Abraham all on the field together, with Bucannon, and a healthy Tyrann Mathieu. Frustrating to say the least. It is understood that Abraham had one messed up, crazy year. But, if he could have kept it together, he would have made a difference.

So, in the end what was the lesson from the 2014 season? The lesson is the next man up works very well....till you run out of men. The team that went to Carolina, (obviously), is not good enough. With the injuries above, this roster doesn't have enough talent to compete for a Super Bowl. Coaching can do so much, but the NFL is about talent, and either you have the talent or you don't

The following is the breakdown of the 2014 Cardinals Roster. I will comment on some free agents that I like, but I have not started to look into the draft, and I cannot wait for the NFL free agent combine, which is going to be cool as all heck! Thus, I realize the Cardinals signed some players to future contracts for the 2015 season but I won't comment on those players. Plenty of time for that in the upcoming months, this is all about looking back at 2014, and a little teaser about my preferences in some potential free agents.

Quarterback:
- Carson Palmer (I.R.)
- Drew Stanton
- Ryan Lindley
- Logan Thomas

I really like where the Cardinals are concerning the quarterback position. Carson Palmer is a solid QB that can run the offense, and his skills are suited to the offensive philosophy of Bruce Arians. Carson Palmer is on board for another 3 years so the quarterback position is stable, and the Cardinals have 3 drafts to find a quarterback of the future. Furthermore, the backup position is in good shape as well. Drew Stanton is not good enough to be a starter in the NFL (maybe the Titans), but he is very good backup, and again fits Arians' system, and is familiar with it. Thus going into 2015 the starter and backup is taken care of.

Going forward, Ryan Lindley's best shot is to be the 3rd stringer for the Titans, but I doubt he can beat out clip-board Jesus. Lindley is not going to be with the Cardinals next season. As for Logan Thomas, the shine has come off of him, and if the Cardinals find a better 3rd string option, I could see Logan Thomas going on the practice squad for 2015. Thomas has potential, a great arm, great size and good athletic talents, but the mental and fundamental part of the game needs a lot of work, and if Thomas doesn't put the work in, then I don't see the Cardinals hesitating to replace him.

Free Agent Quarterbacks: None, draft only.

Running Back:
- Andre Ellington (I.R.)
- Jonathan Dwyer (Suspended)
- Kulabafi (Stepfan Taylor)
- Kerwynn Williams
- Marion Grice
- Robert Hughes

The loss of Jonathan Dwyer is something I am not sure about, I could say he was a loss because we lost that "thumper", between the tackles runner. Was Stepfan Taylor that big of a regression from Dwyer? I don't really know since we didn't see much of Dwyer. That question will be answered in free agency in my opinion. If the Cardinals go after a veteran running back and sign them to a "prove it" contract then obviously Stepfan Taylor's role is pass blocking, and to back up the veteran "thumper/between the tackles" running back.

As for Andre Ellington, one would hope he is managed better by the Cardinals. He cannot take the beating of a full time back. When you get a sports hernia that is just over working your body. I had one in my sports career, and that was exactly it, over working it. But, Ellington will be back, and I have lots of faith in his abilities as the top back. Yet, Ellington needs a backup, and I feel the Cardinals found that player in Kerwynn Williams. I was very impressed with Williams, and think he makes the team next year as the 4th back.

Finally, Robert Hughes is staying on this roster, and I think we will see Arians bring him back, whether you want to say he is the 5th running back, the fullback or the 5th tight end doesn't matter. He has a role on this team, and is good on special teams. No reason not to keep him around. That leaves Marion Grice as the old man out, and he could find himself on the practice squad if he is lucky, but he will have to battle it out in camp.

Free Agent Running Backs:
*** The only way one of these players comes to AZ, is on a "prove it" contract, IMO.
- Marshawn Lynch, Sea* - If released, which I believe is a bunch of hoopla.
- Frank Gore, SF
- Mark Ingram, NO
- Darren McFadden, Oak
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Ind
- Roy Helu, Was

Wide Receiver:
- Larry Fitzgerald
- Michael Floyd
- John Brown
- Jaron Brown
- Tedd Ginn, Jr.
- Brittan Golden

The biggest question of the offseason is if Larry Fitzgerald comes back. The heart wants Fitzgerald to retire here, but my head is indifferent to the situation. Fitzgerald is not making this a no brainer decision. I do not like his aversion to blocking, and playing the slot. If he embraces it, I can see him doing great things, but it seems he has a problem with it. A receiver in his 30's, commanding a HUGE salary is a problem, and even worse if he is not 100% buying in. It’s not like his production cannot be replaced, it’s not like his blocking is THAT much better than Floyd's (even those I saw Larry put on pass blocking a DE once or twice this year, and he held his own). That being said, what is playing into Larry Fitzgerald's favor is that there is a very weak free agency class for wide receivers in free agency. What is not in Fitzgerald's favor is that his cap number is so damn big that the Cardinals could pay a good chunk of money to a free agent wide receiver and still come out spending less than keeping Fitzgerald. Thus we wait and see.

I initially hated the Michael Floyd pick, and I mean I really hated it. Yet, I think Floyd fits into this offense extremely well. He is a big bodied receiver with a knack of moving the chains, and he is obviously the player you want to throw the jump ball to these days. Not to mention he is a good blocker as well. Got to be tough to be the guy after Fitzgerald, and Boldin, because the expectations are through the roof. I personally think Floyd plays well within this system, this was not his best year, but it’s not like he was awful. He played well, and played his role well, and fought through injuries. Thus I am quite happy that Floyd is in Arizona, and that he will be out on the field next year. I think he will have a better year with Palmer throwing him the ball.

John Brown. I am very critical of John Brown, and I don't know why. He has great talents, but I think mentally he needs to mature, and his hands need to get a little bit better. As a game breaker? Awesome, just plain awesome. He is everything Arians wants, and needs as a deep threat. The speed receiver has been found, and his name is John Brown. I expect as long as Arians is in Arizona, so will John Brown.

Nothing needs to be said about Jaron Brown. He will come back from his injury and continue to be all you can ask for in a 4th wide receiver. Makes big catches, blocks, and fills his role on the team. No brainer.

If Larry Fitzgerald comes back, then the Cardinals will essentially have one roster spot that could be had by a receiver next season. Tedd Ginn, Jr. was pretty bad in my opinion. The stats say he did well in the return game, but personally he makes me REALLY nervous fielding kicks, and I question his decision making. As a receiver he is worthless, since his role is filled by John Brown, and he is not as good as Jaron Brown. That is not even taking into consideration Ginn, Jr.'s salary. Thus I think Brittan Golden may make a push for this club because of his speed and special teams play (coverage). Yet, it’s the 5th wide receiver, thus it is WIDE OPEN as to whom may come in and take that spot.

Free Agent Wide Receivers:
*** Only if, Fitzgerald is let go/traded.
- Demaryius Thomas, Den
- Randall Cobb, GB <-- Would be a great fit, IMO.

Tight End:
- John Carlson
- Rob Housler
- Troy Niklas
- Darren Fells

Rob Housler is gone. He is the weak link of this group. I understand John Carlson upset a lot of fans this year with his play, I am not one of them. I thought Carlson did a very solid job at a position that was a big weak point in 2013.

Troy Niklas is an interesting situation. He seems to be injury prone, but he is everything you want in a blocking tight end. I have no problem with where he was picked in the draft. If he develops, he will be great for this system, he has all the tools you want.

Darren Fells is quite an interesting player. He showed a lot of improvement over the last season. The big thing is for his size, and height, he can block. Not to mention he made a few good catches during the season, and made them using his size to his advantage. How good Fells is, and what the Cardinals think about him will be exposed when free agency rolls around.

I should make a small comment about the fact that the tight end potentially has the best players coming out, out of all the positions this offseason. Where Rob Housler is a colossal failure as a pass catching tight end, the Cardinals may be able to rectify that role and situation in free agency.

Free Agent Tight Ends:
- Julius Thomas, Den
- Charles Clay, Mia
- Jordan Cameron, Cle
- Jermain Gresham, Cin
- Zach Miller, Chi (if he is not tendered as a RFA)
- Lance Kendricks, StL
- Tony Moeaki, Sea
- Daniel Fells, NYG (blocking TE but come on, two TE set with both Fells!)
- Bear Pascoe, Atl (blocking TE, but he is so big, it’s like an extra OT)

Offensive Line:
- Jared Veldheer
- Ted Larson
- Lyle Sendlein
- Paul Fanaika
- Bobby Massie
- Jonathan Cooper
- Bradley Sowell
- Earl Watford
- Anthony Steen

After watching this organization try to put together a NFL worthy offensive line for over a decade, above is the best group of players I have seen in Arizona in a long time. Jared Veldheer was awesome this year, you can't ask for more out of your left tackle in the NFL, and Veldheer has to play against some of the best defenses in the game. Bobby Massie is as solid as they come, and still young. Massie has to improve on his run blocking but in the NFL the money is in the passing game and Massie did a good job in 2014, far better than anything we have seen recently. While it is hard to find starting talent at offensive tackle in the NFL, it is just as hard to find a backup that can actually play the position with a modicum of success. Bradley Sowell didn't have to see the field this year, but as for the backup swing tackle role, it will be a matter of who can beat him out next offseason.

The interior of the offensive line was the biggest disappointment on the offensive side of the ball this season. With dreams of grandeur, we all saw our guards being Jonathan Cooper and Earl Watford, two young athletic guards to anchor the interior of the line for years to come. Reality came hard and fast, with Ted Larson, and Paul Fanaika starting for a majority of the season, and one would really have to think what the Cardinals think of Jonathan Cooper, and Earl Watford who is going to be a longshot to make the roster next year. As a collective fan base, we wondered why Ted Larson was brought in, and most thought he was going to be the backup center, but when Larson started at left guard, that begs the question: Did the Cardinals bring in Larson because they knew something about Cooper? As for who actually played, Fanaika, and Larson played up to the level you would expect from a journeyman, and a UDFA offensive tackle turned guard. Fanaika played as he always does, which he is quick for his size, but still slow for the position. Ted Larson was solid, but at time over matched. Lyle Sendlein is in an interesting spot, after a great 2013, he was back to his very average play. The coaches and the locker room like Sendlein but does Larson take his spot this year, is Sendlein released for salary cap reasons? We will see.

If there are any changes to the current group of offensive linemen then it will be because of the draft, because the free agents coming up in 2015 are a not anything better than what the Cardinals already have in house.

Free Agent Offensive Linemen:
- Paul Fanaika
- Bradley Sowell [RFA}

Defensive Line:
- Calais Campbell
- Dan Williams
- Darnell Dockett (I.R.)
- Frostee Rucker
- Ed Stinson (I.R.)
- Tommy Kelly
- Kareem Martin
- Alameda Ta'amu
- Josh Mauro

Another year, and another time the defensive line of the Arizona Cardinals is something to be envious of. Even banged up this unit played very well throughout the year. Campbell was having an incredible year until he was illegally chop blocked in Washington. Dan Williams had another big year, and has earned himself a raise either here in AZ, or somewhere in the NFL. Ed Stinson has shown he is a NFL talent, and has given the Cardinals some leverage in dealing with Dockett. Darnell Dockett is another player, like Larry Fitzgerald who your heart wants him to stay in Arizona, but my head allows me to be indifferent to Dockett's situation as well. If Dockett wants to stay in Arizona, no matter what the scheme and who the defensive coordinator is, and if he is willing to take a pay cut, then great, I would love to see him retire a Cardinal. Yet, if Dockett wants is not willing to do what is best for the team, then the Cardinals can release him and will not impact the team as far as talent on the field is concerned.

You cannot ask for better depth than Frostee Rucker, and Tommy Kelly. I would love to see Kelly back next, it would make the rotation for the defensive line one of the best in the NFL. Not to mention Kareem Martin will have a whole offseason to work on his skills, and get his body into NFL shape, Martin showed promise but seems to hit the rookie wall half way through the season. Josh Mauro is obviously someone the Cardinals will look to keep in their system, since he played a day after he was signed by the Cardinals.

The big question, and I do mean big, is what will happen at the nose tackle position. There is a really good chance Dan Williams will not be back because of cap reasons. Does Alameda Ta'amu start for the Cardinals next year after he struggled coming back from injury? Do the Cardinals sign someone in free agency? Do they draft a nose tackle?

Free Agent Defensive Linemen:
- Dan Williams, Az
- Alameda Ta'amu, Az [RFA]
- Tommy Kelly, Az
- Ryan Pickett, Tex

Outside Linebacker & Nickel Defensive Ends:
- Alex Okafor
- Matt Shaughnessy (I.R.T.R)
- John Abraham (I.R.)
- Sam Acho
- Marcus Bernard
- Lorenzo Alexander

Would could have been and what it was makes for a disappointing season. That is even with Alex Okafor becoming a NFL pass rushing talent. I healthy, and with all due respect, sane, John Abraham would have made this unit a force. Who knows what is going on with Abraham is all I can say. Matt Shaughnessy getting hurt was not as much of a blow as I would thought it would be. I think Ed Stinson, and Sam Acho played better than expected, but still it is good to have the veteran out there. Sam Acho played like Sam Acho this year. It was a contract year for Acho, and it was not would I would like if I were a free agent to be. Marcus Bernard was good in a depth role but I think his days are numbered here in Arizona. Lorenazo Alexander is gone, a non-factor here in Arizona.

With Shaughnessy, and Okafor coming back there is at least two starters coming back to play the position. Thus there is a little bit of stability at the position. A pass rusher to compliment Okafor is, and always will be a huge need. The free agent pool has some exciting possibilities in the upcoming offseason, yet of course it is yet to be seen if these players will even be available come March.

Free Agent Pass Rushers:
- Justin Houstin/Tamba Hali, KC
- Jerry Hughes, Buf
- Derrick Morgan, Ten
- Brandon Graham, Phi
- Brian Orakpo, Was
- John Abraham, Az
- Jabaal Sheard, Cle
- Brooks Reed, Tex
................................................shame that Greg Hardy is such a troubled man.

Free Agents Outside Linebackers:
- Sam Acho, Az
- Quentin Groves, Ten
- Marcus Bernard, Az

Inside Linebacker:
- Larry Foote
- Daryl Washington (Suspended)
- Kevin Minter
- Glenn Carson
- Kenny Demens

Daryl frickin' Washington. What could have been, again, what could have been. Needless to say dillweed's decisions screw this franchise, and this position. Larry Foote did a great job playing beyond his years, until his body utter broke down. Kevin Minter is on his way to being the best inside linebacker since Buster Davis. Leaving the Cardinals with Glenn Carson who played well for an undrafted free agent rookie, and Kenny Demens who, I didn't see all year. Again, thank you Larry Foote, and NO BUCANNON IS NOT A LINEBACKER!

Larry Foote is a free agent, Daryl Washington is a dillweed, and Kevin Minter is the ghost. Glenn Carson, and Kenny Demens cannot be you only linebackers, they can be your backups, sure, but not your starters, with all due respect. It is understood, completely and clearly that we cannot rely on Washington, and need a coverage ILB. The issue is they are very hard to find. Thus I think not only will the Cardinals be looking for faster, coverage type linebackers in the draft and free agency, but any and all inside linebackers.

Free Agent Inside Linebackers:
- David Harris, NYJ
- Lance Briggs, Chi
- Rey Maualuga, Cin
- Brandon Spikes, Buf
- D.J. Williams, Chi
- Akeem Ayers, NE
- Jasper Brinkley, Min
- Geno Hayes, Jac

[Defensive Backs:
- Patrick Peterson
- Antonio Cromartie
- Jerraud Powers
- Justin Bethel
- Rashad Johnson
- Deone Buccannon
- Tyrann Mathieu
- Tony Jefferson
- Chris Clemons

The strength of the 2014 defense was the secondary, and its depth. The good news is most of that depth is still under contract for 2015. This is not much to say, this is the NFL, and the offense has the rules made in their favor, thus I cannot complain about the collective job this unit did this year. There is only one player not under contract for next year from the list above and that is Antonio Cromartie. Peterson, Mathieu, Powers, Bethel, Johnson, and Buccannon have roles on this team and are all you can ask at their positions, IMO. There may be some camp battles next preseason but the core is there.

The question is if Cromartie comes back, and if he does not, do the Cardinals bring in another free agent.

Free Agent Defensive Backs:
- Antonio Cromartie, Az
- Byron Maxwell, Sea
- Darius Butler, Ind
- Charles Tillman, Chi
- Brandon Flowers, SD
- Mike Jenkins, TB
- Sherrod Martin, Jac ** (A safety but he could be valuable since he has good speed)

Special Teams:
Chandler Catanzaro was a nice surprise this year, it would be nice to see him be this consistent or better for a long time. Dave Zastudil will be back next year and Drew Butler will be gone....that is if Zastudil can stay healthy. Mike Leach is a free agent, and in his later 30's, but I think I will let the coaches handle the long snapper.

Looking forward to the offseason, this team has a lot of talent the ability to really make a run next season.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Took the time to read through and appreciate the in-depth analysis. Pretty much in tune with my own thoughts on the team. Resolving the Fitzgerald contract issue takes precedent over everything else when free agency starts.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Agree completely with you views of this team.

Improve the interior of the OL.
Add a RB like Melvin Gordon to free up Ellington to be used all over.
Need a return man. Ginn was just bad.
Alameda Ta'amu fills the loss of Dan Williams. We find a backup.
Hope Foote returnes. We need lots of LB help. Minter is a ghost.
I hope Peterson stops pretending to be the best CB in the league and starts playing like he wants to be the best. I was very disappointed in his play this year. Mostly about his lack of focus and I watched him quit before plays were over only to get burned. He has been paid. Now wake up and find that fire to be great. Because as good as he is, he isn't the best.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice job Muffin. This thread is one to match Mitch's review of the past season, and addressing the upcoming season. These two posts are among the best that I have seen this year on the board and I thank you for posting it.

Steve Keim will be forced to do a near-miraculous job this off-season if he is able to better our roster AND negotiate the CAP problems he will face due to the Washington and Fitzgerald situations. That absolutely needs to be addressed before we can get down to the business of completing a roster.

Then there will be the necessity of addressing the interior OL as you so aptly pointed out. Dallas has shown how important that aspect is when attempting to field a strong playoff contender this past year. ROMO has not been the problem for them, not being able to have a balanced attack was the problem. Now they can manage the clock, AND keep their defense fresh while running the ball some, and it also helps their passing attack by forcing people up in the box to stop the run.

I am eagerly waiting to see how Steve Keim goes about dealing with our lost DC, AND then getting around the CAP issues caused by FItz and D-Wash. This should be a a very fun off-season to watch. Thanks for your insights Muffin. You were missed from time to time during this past season, and it is good to see you back in form.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
First: in your review of injuries/ suspensions -- what do the numbers in parentheses mean?

Some thoughts/ comments by position:

I don't think we should expect a drafted QB. It's a bad year after Winston and Mariotta, and Arians will give Thomas another year.

Wr: I think the Cards need to move on from Fitz. He just isn't that impactful given the salary-- be it age or the way Arians uses him. I don't see either of those changing. I think the team needs to add a run after catch WR -- none of the current group really do that. Aside from the long Fitz TD against Philly, were there any TDs where a Cardinal took a (let's say) 15 yard catch and turned into a longer TD?

RB : the team needs a back that can run through first contact. GB had Seattle on the ropes yesterday in part because they had two backs who could shed the first tackler and keep going-- staying in manageable down and distances. I am thinking of backs in the 215lb+ range rather than (let's say) a Melvin Gordon type back.

Defense: Arians said he wants more speed on defense -- it's partly the reason I think why the FO hasn't shut the door on DWash. I like Okafor, but he can't be the fastest linebacker on the field.

On the secondary, I am really hoping that a fully healthy Badger plus Buchannon in his second year raises their play. While Deone tackled plenty, in college he made many plays on the ball -- lets hope we see that in the future.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
First: in your review of injuries/ suspensions -- what do the numbers in parentheses mean? .

Those were the years left on those players contracts for last season, once March rolls around subtract 1 year from each player.

Some thoughts/ comments by position:

I don't think we should expect a drafted QB. It's a bad year after Winston and Mariotta, and Arians will give Thomas another year.

Wr: I think the Cards need to move on from Fitz. He just isn't that impactful given the salary-- be it age or the way Arians uses him. I don't see either of those changing. I think the team needs to add a run after catch WR -- none of the current group really do that. Aside from the long Fitz TD against Philly, were there any TDs where a Cardinal took a (let's say) 15 yard catch and turned into a longer TD?

RB : the team needs a back that can run through first contact. GB had Seattle on the ropes yesterday in part because they had two backs who could shed the first tackler and keep going-- staying in manageable down and distances. I am thinking of backs in the 215lb+ range rather than (let's say) a Melvin Gordon type back.

Defense: Arians said he wants more speed on defense -- it's partly the reason I think why the FO hasn't shut the door on DWash. I like Okafor, but he can't be the fastest linebacker on the field.

On the secondary, I am really hoping that a fully healthy Badger plus Buchannon in his second year raises their play. While Deone tackled plenty, in college he made many plays on the ball -- lets hope we see that in the future.

:thumbup:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Outstanding post, Rugby! Appreciate all the time, effort and thought that went into this, pal.

An OLB I think the Cardinals make a move for is Frostee Rucker's once teammate in CLE, Jabaal Sheard. Fits the Dick LeBeau 34 OLB mode (6-3, 260). And Jason Worilds as well.

If you could narrow it down to 4-5 FAs whom do you think BA&SK sign?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Outstanding post, Rugby! Appreciate all the time, effort and thought that went into this, pal.

An OLB I think the Cardinals make a move for is Frostee Rucker's once teammate in CLE, Jabaal Sheard. Fits the Dick LeBeau 34 OLB mode (6-3, 260). And Jason Worilds as well.

If you could narrow it down to 4-5 FAs whom do you think BA&SK sign?

Who I think Keim will sign ?

Tough one without knowing the defensive coordinator, and who has/hasn't been franchised.

As it stands today, and with the use of a magic wand that let's the Cardinals get whomever they want ?

Before free agency the Cardinals do the following moves:

- The Cardinals re-do Larry Fitzgerald, and Darnell Dockett's contracts

- Stay with a Bowles type 3-4 personnel.

The Free Agents signed then are:

1. Jerry Hughes, Buf - Cardinals big name free agent, pass rusher
2. Jermaine Gresham, Cin** - Cardinals get him on a solid deal, like his size/blocking
3. Brandon Spikes, Buf/Larry Foote, Az*** - Either, or, for about the same price
4. Geno Hayes, Jac - Good coverage guy, contract for role players on defense.

------------------ Post-Draft: Prove it contracts -----------------

5a. Darren McFadden, Oak - I think he finds a cold market, and opportunity in AZ
5b. Charles Tillman, Chi - Finding a replacement for Cro.

** If Gresham Prices himself out of AZ's range, then Lance Kendricks may come in from St. Louis.
*** Rey Maualuga is a possibility here as well.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5a. Darren McFadden, Oak - I think he finds a cold market, and opportunity in AZ

I would be stoked to have them on prove it contracts.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before free agency the Cardinals do the following moves:

- The Cardinals re-do Larry Fitzgerald, and Darnell Dockett's contracts

- Stay with a Bowles type 3-4 personnel.

The Free Agents signed then are:

1. Jerry Hughes, Buf - Cardinals big name free agent, pass rusher
2. Jermaine Gresham, Cin** - Cardinals get him on a solid deal, like his size/blocking
3. Brandon Spikes, Buf/Larry Foote, Az*** - Either, or, for about the same price
4. Geno Hayes, Jac - Good coverage guy, contract for role players on defense.

------------------ Post-Draft: Prove it contracts -----------------

** If Gresham Prices himself out of AZ's range, then Lance Kendricks may come in from St. Louis.
*** Rey Maualuga is a possibility here as well.
I like your thinking here.

Don't know much about Hughes so have to take your word on him.

Is Spikes more athletic than Foote? Better in coverage?

Prove it contracts would be really good if we could do that.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I like your thinking here.

Don't know much about Hughes so have to take your word on him.

Is Spikes more athletic than Foote? Better in coverage?

Prove it contracts would be really good if we could do that.

Jerry Hughes is a bit of a pass rush specialist, he is small for what Bowles would want but with a new DC it is a possibility.

Spikes is not more athletic than Larry Foote, and same/worse in coverage, but again, you need 2 inside linebackers. I don't think the Cardinals are going to want to send Kevin Minter out there when he was struggling to get time with Glenn Carson this season, thus Spikes is not a replacement for Washington or a coverage linebacker, he is strictly a proven run stuffer in a 3-4 defense.

Geno Hayes may be the best coverage linebacker available but he is not an every down linebacker because he is horrendous against the run.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerry Hughes is a bit of a pass rush specialist, he is small for what Bowles would want but with a new DC it is a possibility.

Spikes is not more athletic than Larry Foote, and same/worse in coverage, but again, you need 2 inside linebackers. I don't think the Cardinals are going to want to send Kevin Minter out there when he was struggling to get time with Glenn Carson this season, thus Spikes is not a replacement for Washington or a coverage linebacker, he is strictly a proven run stuffer in a 3-4 defense.

Geno Hayes may be the best coverage linebacker available but he is not an every down linebacker because he is horrendous against the run.

Hughes was an absolute failure in a 3-4 and finally found a home and a scheme that matched his talents in Buffalo.

Prefer we take our chances with, a coming off of pec injury, Brian Orakpo. The price / value could be right and he is a true 3-4 OLB / pass rusher.

(The Nigerian \ U of Texas connection - Orakpo, Okafor, Acho)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Very good read Rugby.Nice job.Minor disagreement with feeling okay with Palmer and Stanton as main QB and backup.......................both now into 30`s and both coming off injuries affecting mobility.Of course if team decides Logan Thomas is a better TE than QB and brings in a college guy who can possible fill in if needed.A sean Mannion or Farjado or whoever is a real QB worth developing.
Mixed feeling on DWashington................team needs his football skills but he has screwed this team out of a lot of money and has not proved that he can be responsible to be trusted. I waver back and forth on his status.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Very good read Rugby.Nice job.Minor disagreement with feeling okay with Palmer and Stanton as main QB and backup.......................both now into 30`s and both coming off injuries affecting mobility.Of course if team decides Logan Thomas is a better TE than QB and brings in a college guy who can possible fill in if needed.A sean Mannion or Farjado or whoever is a real QB worth developing.
Mixed feeling on DWashington................team needs his football skills but he has screwed this team out of a lot of money and has not proved that he can be responsible to be trusted. I waver back and forth on his status.

The QB situation is without a doubt interesting. Regardless of Palmer, Stanton only has a year left on his contact, and I bet there are NFL teams out there that will take a close look at him when he becomes available.

If a young QB with good potential is available to the Cardinals, I could see them bringing the guy in, but again, it is a matter of opportunity.

That all being said, I have no idea who the prospects at QB are, and their skills.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If we are thinking that our defense was best when we had Dansby and Washington in the middle, I would guess we are less interested in a LB like Spikes. We need two athletes in the middle of the defense, and neither needs to be a run stuffer. Penatration is the key to stopping the run, and very few LBs are stopping linemen in their tracks physically.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If we are thinking that our defense was best when we had Dansby and Washington in the middle, I would guess we are less interested in a LB like Spikes. We need two athletes in the middle of the defense, and neither needs to be a run stuffer. Penatration is the key to stopping the run, and very few LBs are stopping linemen in their tracks physically.

You find either one of those two athletes you speak of, that will be available to the Cardinals in either the draft or free agency in 2015, I am will put them on my list as fast as I can.

Till then, unless you want your SILB to be Kevin Minter, then I would plan on signing Larry Foote, or a really good SILB in Spikes.

I would like nothing more than have Washington and Dansby in the middle of the defense, but one is in Cleveland coming off injury, and another is smoking his life away.

Furthermore, what made those to so special is that while they were fast, and could cover in the passing game, they both could play the run as well.

In free agency you have Geno Hayes coming out, but he is a huge liability in the run game, his best use for the Cardinals is to be a role player and come in on passing downs so Bucannon can play safety, IMO.

But, there are no Daryl Washingtons, or Karlos Dansbys that I can see coming up in the draft or free agency.

Maybe Eric Kendricks from UCLA, or Benardrick McKinney from Mississippi St could be the guy, but that has yet to be seen, and we would not be able to get BOTH players in the draft, IMO, so we still would need a SILB.

If DJ Williams wasn't a clown, and was 4 years younger, then he would be a great solution, but Williams has lost his speed, thus I still go with Spikes.

Not to mention I have no problem bring Larry Foote back as well.

JMHO. Please, I would love to hear some names, cause again, I would rather get some better speed at the position as well.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic write up Rugby. Would love to see Thomas here, but that's not gonna happen

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
ILB is like the black hole of this team right now. Could Acho be moved inside?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You find either one of those two athletes you speak of, that will be available to the Cardinals in either the draft or free agency in 2015, I am will put them on my list as fast as I can.

Till then, unless you want your SILB to be Kevin Minter, then I would plan on signing Larry Foote, or a really good SILB in Spikes.

I would like nothing more than have Washington and Dansby in the middle of the defense, but one is in Cleveland coming off injury, and another is smoking his life away.

Furthermore, what made those to so special is that while they were fast, and could cover in the passing game, they both could play the run as well.

In free agency you have Geno Hayes coming out, but he is a huge liability in the run game, his best use for the Cardinals is to be a role player and come in on passing downs so Bucannon can play safety, IMO.

But, there are no Daryl Washingtons, or Karlos Dansbys that I can see coming up in the draft or free agency.

Maybe Eric Kendricks from UCLA, or Benardrick McKinney from Mississippi St could be the guy, but that has yet to be seen, and we would not be able to get BOTH players in the draft, IMO, so we still would need a SILB.

If DJ Williams wasn't a clown, and was 4 years younger, then he would be a great solution, but Williams has lost his speed, thus I still go with Spikes.

Not to mention I have no problem bring Larry Foote back as well.

JMHO. Please, I would love to hear some names, cause again, I would rather get some better speed at the position as well.

Sean Weatherspoon
Patrick Willis (just a guess)
Akeem Ayers - (possible OLB as well)
Dan Skuta
Mason Foster
Bruce Carter
Brooks reed
Justin Durant
Nate Irving
Jerrell Freeman

Eric Kendricks - draft
Paul Dawson - draft
Shaq Thompson - draft
Zach Hodges - draft

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sean Weatherspoon <--- Can he play in a 3-4 ? Game on if he can.
Patrick Willis (just a guess) <--- No brainer.
Akeem Ayers - (possible OLB as well) <--- I am not sure of his coverage ability, better than Spikes/Foote, tho.
Dan Skuta
Mason Foster
Bruce Carter
Brooks reed
Justin Durant
Nate Irving
Jerrell Freeman <--- I don't even know who he is.

Eric Kendricks - draft
Paul Dawson - draft
Shaq Thompson - draft
Zach Hodges - draft

I would argue the players in bold would be no better in coverage than Foote, or even in some cases Spikes.

Needless to say the debate would be talking about very minute differences for most of these players.

But, thanks for the names, I will do some research....especially on Freeman.

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard