Pre-Season Week 3 (MIN 30 AZ 28): Thoughts and Roster

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Questions of the Week:

1. How is your roster projection different than mine?

2. Do you think there will be any surprise cuts? They seem to happen every year. don't they?

3. Do you think there is cause to worry about Darnell Dockett's level of play?

4. Do you think the rule changes regarding downfield contact will hurt Patrick Peterson's play?

5. Would you offer the Chiefs the 2015 1st round pick and the 2016 3rd round pick for Justin Houston (6-3, 258, 4, Georgia), assuming the Cardinals could sign him long term?

I am very curious to hear your answers first before and I explain mine.

1. Coming soon......I hope at least. :D

2. I agree that Lorenzo Alexander may be in trouble. I know Bishop was playing with the camp fodder but he looked very quick out there. I would also mention that Robert Hughes got more snaps than Rob Housler in that game.

3. Nope. Its preseason, and Dockett is officially an NFL old-timer.

4. Nope. Not more or less than any other DB.

5. Sure.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Bucky, I believe that BA did this because he had said there would be fair competition for the 3rd QB. He was just keeping his word, which is important to ALL his players. He stresses loyalty and trust, and this is one way he gets it, by keeping his word. Also, after this performance, not even Lindley can have hard feelings if he is cut and Thomas sticks.

By the way, I see what you do with Peterson and Dockett. I wonder if both can simply flip the switch and turn it on when it counts. I don't really have a good feeling about that. We will see.

Peterson just got his big contract so now I am worried. Is he going to take off plays and not play up to his potential? After all the trash talk with Sherman you would think he would want to back it up. Maybe he will turn it on come the regular season. My biggest worry is Cooper.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why does LT need more reps? Unless the sky falls, he won't sniff the field this year. Maybe next preseason, he'll need, and get, more reps. JMO.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does LT need more reps? Unless the sky falls, he won't sniff the field this year. Maybe next preseason, he'll need, and get, more reps. JMO.
I think we all want to see him against a different team so we can further evaluate him. He can work on his weaknesses and be in pressure situations. Hard to judge him on just one game.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Questions of the Week:
I am very curious to hear your answers first before and I explain mine.

1. How is your roster projection different than mine?

I think it's hard to project, since Arians has stated that the best 52 players get a spot - and not filling the roster based on position need. I can certainly see a couple of positions where that theory will be tested in a couple of weeks.

TE and RB.
I don't think we will have both 4 TEs and 1 FB. That number has to be 4 in total. My guess is that Hughes will not make it. In the extreme rare cases where the offense will use a FB for blocking, Dwyer could sub in. I agree that Hughes doesn't bring anything extra to the table in the running game.

I have a problem with the 8 OLs. We should be set with Cooper, Watford, Faneika, Sendlein and Larsen at the interior line, but only 3 OTs and only 1 LT. Potter or Sowell should make the final roster as common sense should result in 9 O-Linemen.

I agree that Alexander is out.

2. Do you think there will be any surprise cuts? They seem to happen every year. don't they?

Again. If Arians really puts the best 52 players on the final roster, then there certalinly could be surprises. By that rule WR Golden should make the roster IMO, but who will then be cut? One of the ILBs?

3. Do you think there is cause to worry about Darnell Dockett's level of play?
No. A veteran knowing that he's only going to play 2 series in a game where the HC has indicated that the starters are not in focus.

4. Do you think the rule changes regarding downfield contact will hurt Patrick Peterson's play?
Not long-term, but there's always an adjustment period to new rules.

5. Would you offer the Chiefs the 2015 1st round pick and the 2016 3rd round pick for Justin Houston (6-3, 258, 4, Georgia), assuming the Cardinals could sign him long term?
If this team is as good as most of us believe the 2015 1st rounder will not be in the top 20 = go for it!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch thx for the thoughts & I agree with some & disagree on others. A few of mine:

1) to me Bucannon hasn't impressed me yet. He played tons last night, even into the 4th qtr & he did zero to leave an impression on me. I just don't see any explosiveness from him running to make any plays regardless of his 40 time that I did in Calvin Pryor. I know he's a rook, but you would think we would see at least 1 play from him where we said "wow". I agree with others, that he should've allowed the TD to Rudolph.

Yeah. It's not "troubling" because he's a rookie who's going to be a backup player, but Wolfley repeating over and over that "this guy is going to be a top safety" and "lemme tell you, this kid is SPECIAL" screams the lady doth protest too much. Saying that Bucannon was the fastest safety in the draft is the 2014 edition of saying that William Powell was the 3rd fastest player on the team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. It's not "troubling" because he's a rookie who's going to be a backup player, but Wolfley repeating over and over that "this guy is going to be a top safety" and "lemme tell you, this kid is SPECIAL" screams the lady doth protest too much. Saying that Bucannon was the fastest safety in the draft is the 2014 edition of saying that William Powell was the 3rd fastest player on the team.

It is funny how much of a mouthpiece certain people are for the team, and what the messages are that the team wants to get out.

For those concernned about Bucannon, don't be. He will be fine. I don't think we was ever going to be a top NFL S, but I do believe he has the ability to be a good one. One area I can see in the preseason so far is that he tries to make big plays on every play. He is pressing, and it is causing him to make mistakes. His failed jam of Rudolph at the goal line is a prime example of that. He has the necessary size and speed. He is a smart player, and his work ethic is not in question. Personally, I believe it will come with time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
BOARD SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Patrick Peterson is really good even though he might not be as good as Sherman, Revis or Haden. He has things he needs to work on still, but he is a fantastic player. Slow down.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is funny how much of a mouthpiece certain people are for the team, and what the messages are that the team wants to get out.

For those concernned about Bucannon, don't be. He will be fine. I don't think we was ever going to be a top NFL S, but I do believe he has the ability to be a good one. One area I can see in the preseason so far is that he tries to make big plays on every play. He is pressing, and it is causing him to make mistakes. His failed jam of Rudolph at the goal line is a prime example of that. He has the necessary size and speed. He is a smart player, and his work ethic is not in question. Personally, I believe it will come with time.

I honestly can't give you an evaluation of Bucannon at this point. I'm not looking for him during the live watch of the game--really, I'm not watching anyone on defense aside from the pass rush. It's hard for me to identify jersey numbers from the sideline cam, and I have zero idea what Bucannon's jersey number is, anyway.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't give you an evaluation of Bucannon at this point. I'm not looking for him during the live watch of the game--really, I'm not watching anyone on defense aside from the pass rush. It's hard for me to identify jersey numbers from the sideline cam, and I have zero idea what Bucannon's jersey number is, anyway.

I think Bucannon will struggle early on similar to how Adrian Wilson struggled early in his career. It might take a year or two before he really understands his role in the defense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

He is the guy who shows up a few seconds late on every play. He is always in the picture but is never actually making the play. The game has not slowed down yet for him, and that is ok.

Watching the pass rush? So you are spending 2 hours watching nothing? Seriously though, it seems to me they struggle with disengaging from linemen and lack speed to pressure the edge. Are you seeing that as well?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think Bucannon will struggle early on similar to how Adrian Wilson struggled early in his career. It might take a year or two before he really understands his role in the defense.

That would be a shame. I think at a position like safety, you invest a top pick to shorten the learning curve. It took Wilson a year or two to adapt to the pro game. I understand that the value of the position has evolved, but what's the point in investing a 1st round pick in a position of secondary impact if you're going to have to develop him for the same amount of time that you'd develop a 3rd-5th round selection?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He is the guy who shows up a few seconds late on every play. He is always in the picture but is never actually making the play. The game has not slowed down yet for him, and that is ok.

Watching the pass rush? So you are spending 2 hours watching nothing? Seriously though, it seems to me they struggle with disengaging from linemen and lack speed to pressure the edge. Are you seeing that as well?

That, and that no one aside from Dockett and Campbell can demand a double team. There are guys pushing through using only the bull rush, but they can't get off their lineman to make a play, and because the DL is so ordinary without Campbell, those A-gap blitzes get swallowed up.

It's not particularly pretty.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That, and that no one aside from Dockett and Campbell can demand a double team. There are guys pushing through using only the bull rush, but they can't get off their lineman to make a play, and because the DL is so ordinary without Campbell, those A-gap blitzes get swallowed up.

It's not particularly pretty.

Hopefully Kareem Martin develops, which I think he will, into a similar player as CC. He is an athletic freak which should bolster our defensive line depth once he adds some weight and starts playing with better leverage.

It is tough to believe that our linebacking corp doesnn't get blown up next offseason. It is really sub par in terms of versatility and pass rush ability.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hopefully Kareem Martin develops, which I think he will, into a similar player as CC. He is an athletic freak which should bolster our defensive line depth once he adds some weight and starts playing with better leverage.

It is tough to believe that our linebacking corp doesnn't get blown up next offseason. It is really sub par in terms of versatility and pass rush ability.

It's going to have to be. Alexander, Acho, Abraham, Foote are all going to be free agents. Minter is a work in progress. Who knows what's going to happen with Daryl Washington.

The question is how Keim will be able to address that question in a cap-constrained environment. Keim and Arians could go into the 2015 season needing a rush linebacker and quarterback with less than $10M in cap space and a pick in the mid-20s.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's going to have to be. Alexander, Acho, Abraham, Foote are all going to be free agents. Minter is a work in progress. Who knows what's going to happen with Daryl Washington.

The question is how Keim will be able to address that question in a cap-constrained environment. Keim and Arians could go into the 2015 season needing a rush linebacker and quarterback with less than $10M in cap space and a pick in the mid-20s.

Here is some prospects to keep your eye out for this college season in relation to this problem.

Randy Gregory 6'6 245 Nebraska
Shilique Calhoun 6'4 257 Michigan St.
Vic Beasley 6'2 235 Clemson
Noah Spence 6'3 252 Ohio St.
Dante Fowler Jr. 6'2 261 Florida
Devonte Fields 6'4 250 TCU
Alvin Dupree 6'4 267 Kentucky
Danielle Hunter 6'6 241 LSU
Owamagbe Odighizuwa 6'3 270 UCLA

ILB
Denzel Perryman 5'11 242 Miami
Benardrick McKinney 6'4 245 Miss. St.
AJ Johnson 6'2 242 Tennessee
Taiwan Jones 6'3 252 Michigan St.
AJ Tarpley 6'2 238 Stanford

A legit option (and it is very early) would be Owamagbe Odighizuwa in round 1 and Benardrick McKinney in round 2 as both are very athletic but also have the size for the division.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is some prospects to keep your eye out for this college season in relation to this problem.

Randy Gregory 6'6 245 Nebraska
Shilique Calhoun 6'4 257 Michigan St.
Vic Beasley 6'2 235 Clemson
Noah Spence 6'3 252 Ohio St.
Dante Fowler Jr. 6'2 261 Florida
Devonte Fields 6'4 250 TCU
Alvin Dupree 6'4 267 Kentucky
Danielle Hunter 6'6 241 LSU
Owamagbe Odighizuwa 6'3 270 UCLA

ILB
Denzel Perryman 5'11 242 Miami
Bednardrick McKinney 6'4 245 Miss. St.
AJ Johnson 6'2 242 Tennessee
Taiwan Jones 6'3 252 Michigan St.
AJ Tarpley 6'2 238 Stanford

thank u for this post

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Since the league is seriously considering upping the consequences for domestic violence, I would not look for D-Wash to be available for much of the upcoming season, even if he turns a new leaf and comes back humble and contrite and willing to learn. I think the league will try to make an example of Washington because of his prior continued infractions on the use of pot. And oh, I really don't believe he even wants to turn a new leaf.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

and yet I saw Calvin Pryor make 3 wow plays Saturday in his 1st game.
As k9 said, drafting a kid to play safety in Rd 1 should lesson the learning curve, but as of now it hasn't.

Wasn't AW a 3rd rounder? ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard