Cardinals magazine?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by denverbirdfan
will you let my boss know that? it's going to be almost 60 in denver today!

Hard to belive that just last week it was 27 below :eek: , huh?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely buy.

You'd need to get it in all the doctor's offices and dentists, etc. as well.

I think you might have a hit on your hands, and if the team begins winning, you would blow up.

I too, would prefer a weekly or bi-weekly newspaper type format. Photos are a must.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Several people have tried to start Cardinal magazines, newsletters etc... over the years and all have failed because of the small number of Cardinal fans. I've still got some copies in my store room of one that was put out in the early 90's. Only lasted about four or five issues. And of course many here know about Bob C and Mike O's efforts.

However, with the new stadium the entire spectrum of marketing Cardinal related products will change. The stores in the Mill ave area that sell sports gear, mostly ASU, will be out of the picture when the team moves to Glendale. So will the Bars. Could be a big opportunity in several areas.

Speaking of old Cardinal products, anyone remember the bar Called the Cardinal's Nest that was open back in the 80's when the team first moved to Phoenix? Little hole in the wall but the only Cardinal Bar I ever saw in Arizona.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
hey pariah - i've been in 118 degrees in phoenix and last week in denver, and i'll take 118 ANY day! man, i miss my nose hair...

OP
OP
S

Scott

Reaction score
Thanks for all the solid input. It's greatly appreciated.

In response to some of the suggestions ... I know if I go the printed route, advertising will play a major role in how this comes off. I'm banking there will be some new enthusiasm now that a proven winner is leading the ballclub. So I'm confident I can reach these people and get the necessary funds to make a printed version a reality.

Should I go this route, I am thinking of something along the lines of the various "Reports" people have mentioned. Being a recent resident of Green Bay, I am quite familiar with Packer Report and other mags of the same ilk. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it would be a tabloid-sized magazine printed on newsprint, and would come out weekly during the season and monthly from January (or February, depending on playoffs) through August. This type of mag would be heavy on stories that come out of each game (gamer, notes, sidebars, columns) and preview info for the next week's game, as well as a handful of features, and of course, photos.

I envision an e-mail/faxable product a bit differently. Basically, it would take the shape of a newsletter and come out twice a week during the season, and monthly offseason. A Thursday issue would include various preview stories of the upcoming game, as well as features and columns. Also, because I don't have to worry about printing costs, I'd have more funding available and would line up stringers to provide preview stories on all games involving NFC West teams.

The second issue would come out on Monday (or Tuesday in the event of a MNF game) and include all the information relevant to the game (gamer, notes, sidebars, column). Also, I would line up stringers for game stories on each game involving an NFC West team, and include an overall NFL roundup.

The benefit of the e-mail faxable product is immediate info in the reader's hands. The reader can go into his e-mail, find a PDF version of the newsletter, and either read it right there or print it out and read it on the go. Also, it would be a bit cheaper, because I wouldn't have to find a way to cover printing costs.

The benefit of the printed mag product is, of course, a better visual presentation, including photos. However, I envision the info for the two products to be very similar.

Anyhow, that's where I'm coming from. I'm not looking to necessarily become rich off this project - although it wouldn't hurt! I've done plenty of research and know the costs that come with a project such as this. Now I just need to be convinced that Cards fans are ready to support it.

Thanks again for the input, and please, anyone who checks out this thread, let me know what you think.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it is certainly a good idea.

I would subscribe. I get all happy when I receive anything in the mail with the Cards logo on it. A good mag would be awesome!

Though most of the news would have been reported already on this website, other editorals and opinions to read in the crapper would be excellent! :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If I were you Scott, I would wait at least a season or two.

Wait until this team looks like it is about to turn the corner.

The hardcore fanbase, like the guys on this site would love it. But there isn't many like us here in the valley. It really is quite sad how little support this team gets.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Waiting

Would have to agree with Krang on this one....however others may have a similar idea and beat you to the punch.....this is as high as Card interest has been since oh....I don't know....WWII?

Seriously....catch the wave dude and do it....I'll buy.

What do you have to lose?

House....car....truck...dog?

OP
OP
S

Scott

Reaction score
I've noticed something like 500 views to this thread, but only about 30 responses. While the responses are greatly appreciated, I do wonder what's going through the heads of all the rest of you who have clicked on this thread.

I don't mean wonder in a bad way - I'm just curious if some of you are interested in a Cards mag but didn't take the time to let me know.

Here's a thought. Anyone who thinks they might be interested, go ahead and fire me an e-mail. This way, I can keep an accurate list of those who are interested (those of you who have already said you are, I'll add to my list.) If I see solid numbers, it gives me what I need to proceed.

And again, any further suggestions (i.e., what you might like to see included in such a magazine as a subscriber) would be greatly welcomed!

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott
I've noticed something like 500 views to this thread, but only about 30 responses. While the responses are greatly appreciated, I do wonder what's going through the heads of all the rest of you who have clicked on this thread.

I don't mean wonder in a bad way - I'm just curious if some of you are interested in a Cards mag but didn't take the time to let me know.

Here's a thought. Anyone who thinks they might be interested, go ahead and fire me an e-mail. This way, I can keep an accurate list of those who are interested (those of you who have already said you are, I'll add to my list.) If I see solid numbers, it gives me what I need to proceed.

And again, any further suggestions (i.e., what you might like to see included in such a magazine as a subscriber) would be greatly welcomed!

Just create a poll where modest people can click their answer. The reason you got 500 views is that the majority of the same people keep reading your thread after someone new posts something.

I'm curious, which Packer paper did you write for? I always considered Packer Plus/Packer Insider the best, as it has honest and indepth analysis. Packers Premuim is OK. I never cared for Packer Report years ago when Ray Nitschke was in charge. I loved Ray, but his paper had too many fluff pieces instead of honest analysis. It might have changed since then though after he passed away. Or did you write for one of the sports sections in the local newspapers?

OP
OP
S

Scott

Reaction score
I was the sports editor at The Green Bay News-Chronicle, one of two daily newspapers in Green Bay. I covered the Packers during the 2002 season, and up through training camp this year, when some family issues forced my relocation to central Arizona.

My background also includes time spent covering the Baltimore Ravens (including the postseason run during their Super Bowl year), and, on the flip side, the San Diego Chargers during their 1-15 season. I guess you could say I've seen it all.

My Cardinals experience is limited to one game and one of their four victories in 2003, when they beat Green Bay at Sun Devil Stadium.

As for Houdini's suggestion about a poll, I'll keep that in mind.

Also know that my preliminary plan, at this point, is for a Packer Report type magazine that would print its first issue in late July. My thought is to find as many subscribers as I can between now and then, and then set up shop outside Cards training camp in Flagstaff and see if I can attract some fans.

jon_nyaz

The art of music
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Welcome to Arizona and to the board!

Diehard Cardinal fans love to get their hands on compelling content regardless of the source. Problem is, there aren't many of us in relation to the rest of the league and one has to wonder what percentage of the "low hanging fruit" you can truly obtain for your readership. I'd imagine showing impressive audited numbers to potential advertisers would prove frustrating for some time. So, the business man in me says that you are taking a serious risk by assuming that interest in the Cardinals is going to significantly increase in the short term. The population here locally is very transient and the Cardinals have done little to nothing to win the hearts and minds of casual and even hardcore football fans that traditionally have cast their allegiances to other teams.

As for me I would pay for a Cardinals-focused magazine if it was unique and refreshing. A lot of the same stuff floats around and it gets stale pretty quickly. I used to subscribe to the Giants weekly newsletter back in the 80s. I read it religiously and I expect I would do the same with a Cardinals version.

As far as specific content suggestions, I tend to come here to get insights and opinions on the latest and greatest news regarding the team. I would suggest having columns that focus on specific areas of interest and how they relate to players on the team. For example, the Cardinals website has a column where players review current films. I would probably suggest something with a little more "teeth" than that, but you get the idea. Anything that makes the players seem closer to the fans would be well worth the time and money from a reader's perspective.

Good luck if you decide to do it!