Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part II

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Quite negative scenario. Our defense could improve with several young players only getting better. A healthy David Johnson will work wonders for any offense. Vikings turned around their OL from worst to one of the best within an offseason. We did quite well down the stretch with Gabbert and Stanton, who aren't better than backup caliber. Keenum has proven he is better than backup caliber. Idk if he is a top 10 QB in the NFL, but in an offense that will run through David Johnson and a good defense, I have no doubt Keenum could lead us to many wins.

Hope you are right and I am wrong.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Any GM that signs Bradford to a multi year deal this off-season should be reported for malpractice and have their license taken away.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think our oline is much better than we have seen. It bothers me that we have seen guys come in here, play decent, then get worse over time. IMO a good oline coach is going to look like a genius after an off season with our guys.... but I do think we need a bigger center...to come out of a snap and block a guy 45 pounds bigger is insanely tough...to come out of a snap and block a guy 20 pounds bigger is less tough.

I would be okay with Keenum and a first round QB as long as Keenum dont cost more than about $7.5mil per... but I would rather have Teddy if his psyche has recovered from the knee injury...still remains to be seen how well Minne does in the playoffs and which of their QB's they are willing to pay. They actually have more invested in Bradford than Teddy

Yep, agreed. I think Shipley has been barely adequate. I'd like to see Boehm get a legitimate shot at starting, but if not him, then try to draft someone to develop (I'd say free agency but there are bigger concerns in that area, IMO). Props to the guy for staying healthy and putting in a lot of effort, but center has been a weak point just in terms of pure athletic talent for many years now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep, agreed. I think Shipley has been barely adequate. I'd like to see Boehm get a legitimate shot at starting, but if not him, then try to draft someone to develop (I'd say free agency but there are bigger concerns in that area, IMO). Props to the guy for staying healthy and putting in a lot of effort, but center has been a weak point just in terms of pure athletic talent for many years now.

Except for DJ Humpries everyone else can be cut or traded. I would not complain.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I th

ink our oline is much better than we have seen. It bothers me that we have seen guys come in here, play decent, then get worse over time. IMO a good oline coach is going to look like a genius after an off season with our guys.... but I do think we need a bigger center...to come out of a snap and block a guy 45 pounds bigger is insanely tough...to come out of a snap and block a guy 20 pounds bigger is less tough.

I would be okay with Keenum and a first round QB as long as Keenum dont cost more than about $7.5mil per... but I would rather have Teddy if his psyche has recovered from the knee injury...still remains to be seen how well Minne does in the playoffs and which of their QB's they are willing to pay. They actually have more invested in Bradford than Teddy

Quicker passing game along with a qb with mobility and pocket awareness can do wonders for olinemen! Having a RB that is amazeballz will help too!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think Boehm is better than we have seen,... hell he was better in his rokie year than he was this past season. But he is a Shipley clone, and Shipley is a Sendlein clone... all three of them in the 6'1" 295 range...... Price and Ragnow in this draft are both in the 6'5" 320 mold... of course Price will be a first round pick... but it wouldnt hurt my feelings if we got him at 15....assuming we have someone for him to protect already.

Both of those guys are much better equipped to face off against the 330lb DT's we face every week

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Except for DJ Humpries everyone else can be cut or traded. I would not complain.
I guess you've already planted your flag, but I don't see a lot of upgrades to a healthy Iupati or Veldheer out there. I thought Veldheer would retire, but I guess not.

We barely got to see this line play together at all last year. I'd really like to see if we can get them all on the field at once and improve at the other Guard spot. Or retain Boone.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not against it if he comes in cheap. Again, it kind of comes down to a "who can we realistically get" scenario. If at the end of the season, the Vikings franchise Keenum, but Shurmur was our coach, I might be more prone to just picking up Bradford who knows the system and could teach it to a highly drafted rookie.

I'm not a huge Alex Smith fan personally, especially not in the scenario in which we have to give up high draft picks.

At least Alex Smith cam stay on the field and is more then qualified to show a rookie the ropes.. He is def a better QB than Bradford..

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess you've already planted your flag, but I don't see a lot of upgrades to a healthy Iupati or Veldheer out there. I thought Veldheer would retire, but I guess not.

We barely got to see this line play together at all last year. I'd really like to see if we can get them all on the field at once and improve at the other Guard spot. Or retain Boone.

With a new coach and based on new offensive scheme, we don't know who fits and who doesn't. So cutting or trading anyone except for DJH will not bother me.

I only planted the flag for DJH cause he seems to have what it takes to be a great LT in NFL for any system. If a new HC comes in and trades DJH that will raise all sort of red flags.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
At least Alex Smith cam stay on the field and is more then qualified to show a rookie the ropes.. He is def a better QB than Bradford..
This begs the question though, does Alex Smith want to come play for a team that's basically just going to Chiefs him? Meaning... we're pretty likely to take a QB high even if we signed Smith. I know he has no say in the matter if we trade for him, but if I were him I'd want to go to a team like the Broncos where the young backups behind me are going to stay young backups.

I hate to mention the Broncos every time we talk about the QB roulette but they're the most attractive opening in my mind for any QB. Maybe Jacksonville next. Then the Vikings depending on what they do at QB.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I wish I could like this x1000. I cannot emphasis enough I absolutely do not want to see Sam Bradford in a Cardinals jersey.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't care so much about Bettcher as HC, but if he brings that combo of Coordinators to the table, sign me up! Patricia strikes me as the "book smart, not common-sense smart" kind of guy who needs a supervisor over him to reign him in. I don't think he is a HC kind of guy. He's a perma-coordinator, like every member of the Ryan family (but with brains).

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't care so much about Bettcher as HC, but if he brings that combo of Coordinators to the table, sign me up! Patricia strikes me as the "book smart, not common-sense smart" kind of guy who needs a supervisor over him to reign him in. I don't think he is a HC kind of guy. He's a perma-coordinator, like every member of the Ryan family (but with brains).

Who knows and it's rein, as the reins on a horse, not reign as in Queen Elizabeth reigns over GB.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don’t like Alex Smith at all but I think he’d be better choice than Bradford.

I guess it’d be like if I was on death row deciding my means of execution, death by lethal injection or firing squad. Both have the same result just one is quicker( I think :D) and less painful.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get why Shurmur might be good. But what makes anyone think Keenum under Shurmur will be any good in NFCW? that would be recipe for 5-11 season.

Cardinals have no OL, no receivers (outside of Larry), no TEs. And has to face Seattle and Rams defenses 4 times a year. Keenum is not the cause, he is effect. It will be one hot fudge mess if Keenum is starting QB.
What I don’t get is why people keep mentioning what we didn’t have this year as a reason certain QB options won’t work next year. Keim promised sweeping changes to what I assume will be the QB, OL & WR positions. If we sign Keenum and don’t improve the OL & WR positions by the start of the draft upcoming season, then complain about how they won’t work. Moral of the story image how QBs will fit with an improved OL & WR corps.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find it weird we heard nothing about any of the interviews we did this weekend?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What I don’t get is why people keep mentioning what we didn’t have this year as a reason certain QB options won’t work next year. Keim promised sweeping changes to what I assume will be the QB, OL & WR positions. If we sign Keenum and don’t improve the OL & WR positions by the start of the draft upcoming season, then complain about how they won’t work. Moral of the story image how QBs will fit with an improved OL & WR corps.

Change doesn't equate to improvement. With Keenum can one realistically tell it is the new supporting cast not the QB when they falter?

In this "turn everything over approach" try to sign someone like Cousins or Smith. At least the team would know where they stand with position groups and QB after next year with someone like them..

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson