Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part II

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Per reports, MB&SK have now conducted preliminary interviews with James Bettcher (AZ), Pat Shurmur (MIN), John DeFilippo (PHI), Jim Schwartz (PHI), Matt Patricia (NE), Brian Flores (NE), Mike Munchak (PIT), and are scheduling interviews with Steve Wilks (CAR) and Keith Armstrong (ATL).

Here are some thoughts on each candidate:

Bettcher---BA has recommended a package of Bettcher as HC with Mike McCoy as OC and Chuck Pagano as DC. While Bettch made strides throughout his 3 years as DC, his defense this year gave up a lot of points in the majority of the games that the Cardinals had to win in order to qualify for the playoffs. Yes, once again the defense looked dominant when the games were meaningless. McCoy was fired during the season as the Broncos' OC---the chief complaints being the lack of QB and WR production and lack of execution. Pagano did a remarkable job keeping his Colts competitive in almost every game, despite having QB Andrew Luck for the entire season. He's a good defensive coach and per reports John Harbaugh wants him back as DC in Baltimore.

I think the Cardinals need a clean slate. Bettch is still a promising young coach, but there is a reason why he is not garnering interest from the other teams who are currently searching for a HC. He needs to have success at DC elsewhere and then will become a legit HC candidate.

Shurmur---I would think by now that he has to be the Cardinals' top choice. He fits all of MB&SK's criteria the best from and experience and track record of success standpoint. Word is he would bring QB Case Keenum with him and that he would groom a young QB behind Keenum.

If the Cardinals want Shurmur, they will need to push the envelope sooner than MB would like. Shurmur and Patricia are the hottest candidates out there and it looks like Patricia is going to sign with the Lions.

DeFilippo---What pushes JDF down the list a little is the uncertainty of who he could bring with him as coordinators. His plan would be to call the plays himself and per Seth Cox of ROTB, his choice for OC would be Eagles' WR coach Mike Groh. Cox also reports that JDF likes Phillip Daniels (asst. DL coach PHI) as a potential DC, but is also open to keeping an incumbent DC (which would be Bettcher in AZ).

If what Seth Cox says is true---in my opinion, this makes me less confident in JDF as the right coach for right now. Yes. he would be very good at developing a young QB, but it is typically in a new HC's best interest to hire his own staff. Naturally, Bettcher would be disappointed that MB&SK would choose someone as young and inexperienced as JDF over him. What JDF needs are experienced coordinators like Sean McVay hired in LA. if JDF can't get an experienced DC to come on board with him, then it would be harder to gamble on JDF.

Schwartz---I don't see him as the right guy for the Cardinals. Not sure of what his plan on offense would be---if he could bring DeFilippo with him as OC, then that would put him right up there. Chances are that won't happen.

Patricia---if the Cardinals were enamored with him, then they have to try to outbid the Lions, which will be difficult to do seeing as Patricia has a Patriots connection with the Lions' Exec VP Bob Quinn.

Flores---if JDF is having challenges trying to put together a package of coordinators, one would wonder whether Flores, this early in the game, would have an attractive package for the Cardinals (the only team that has interviewed him to date).

Munchak---MJ and other think he's the Cardinals' top choice. By all indications, Munch has been very happy in Pittsburgh and at his age (57), is he really all that passionate about becoming a HC again? What package of coaches could he present to MB&SK? While I do not doubt what a boost it would be to re-building the OL with Munch in charge, can he bring the right coordinators with him? His immediate PA and OL connection with Steve Keim is a plus, but also could be a negative if Keim is once again perceived as the "little brother." Keim, imo, needs to start exerting himself as GM.

Wilks---his defense had a rough day in New Orleans yesterday and with the Saints all season. But, in general, Wilks' defenses are aggressive, well disciplined and very physical. The physical, disciplined style of play is attractive---no question. This is what the Cardinals need. And perhaps he would switch the Cardinals' defense over to the 43, if they could sign a very good UFA MLB or draft Georgia's Raquan Smith in the 1st round. MB&SK are going to like Wilks' energy and passion. But, is he the right coach at this time?

Armstrong---the only way he is a serious candidate is if he has a package of coordinators that MB&SK could wrap their arms around.

With reports out of New England that Bill Belichick could be looking to move on, should/would MB&SK make some inquiries? I have never gotten the sense that Belichick has taken the Cardinals all that seriously in the past...but with the talent the Cardinals have on defense---maybe BB would be willing to take a good look at coming to AZ?

The problem with this is---can the Cardinals gamble on being the last team to hire a new HC again this time around? Chances are that no one will know what Belichick intends to do until after the Super Bowl.

My instincts say---push hard right now to sign Shurmur. He makes the most sense for a team that is this uncertain at QB.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Harry, I think Dorsey would make a lot of sense as Shurmur will call the plays and Dorsey will help groom the young QB they draft this spring. What do you think?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
but also could be a negative if Keim is once again perceived as the "little brother." Keim, imo, needs to start exerting himself as GM

I found this line puzzling since I think his 'collaborative' approach is a plus (rather than trying to assert his opinion/ego above others).

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Wouldn't count out Armstrong. Imo special teams under Arians/Amos have cost us playoff appearances in the last two seasons. Fwiw, Armstrong played under Arians at Temple. One of the best, if not the best, special teams masterminds in the NFL. If he has a great staff ready to join, then why not? Special teams are vastly undervalued.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
True, but perhaps they realized there weren't any better options at the time. That was just one blemish - otherwise, they all seemed to work well together.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like Haley and Steelers are heading towards a break up after the season.

Why not bring in Munchak as HC and Haley as OC? I would like that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I really like that coordinator combo with Bettcher and it's not like this is a bad coaching staff overall. The consistency could pay off.

On the other hand, I do think Shurmur is the closest thing we have to a perfect fit if he can bring Keenum along with him. I'd love it if we could bring in Shurmur AND retain Bettcher.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get why Shurmur might be good. But what makes anyone think Keenum under Shurmur will be any good in NFCW? that would be recipe for 5-11 season.

Cardinals have no OL, no receivers (outside of Larry), no TEs. And has to face Seattle and Rams defenses 4 times a year. Keenum is not the cause, he is effect. It will be one hot fudge mess if Keenum is starting QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I get why Shurmur might be good. But what makes anyone think Keenum under Shurmur will be any good in NFCW? that would be recipe for 5-11 season.

Cardinals have no OL, no receivers (outside of Larry), no TEs. And has to face Seattle and Rams defenses 4 times a year. Keenum is not the cause, he is effect. It will be one hot fudge mess if Keenum is starting QB.

We need a QB. We need a bridge QB. Keenum has never played well enough consistently to warrant Kirk Cousins type numbers for a contract, and will probably also come cheaper than Tyrod Taylor. He (or any of the Vikings QBs) is probably the best solution to come in and start a season with a young draft pick backing him up as the potential QB of the future. There aren't a lot of FA QB options out there that are fits for the Cardinals and what we need going forward. No matter what happens, this team has to sign some QBs before the draft, and Keenum with Shurmur is the right mix of cost and upside.

All that aside, I think our OL when healthy is much better than you give it credit for. We definitely need to sign and draft some receivers. At TE, Gresham is adequate, and Ricky Seals-Jones showed some promise.

With the amount of draft picks we'll have, and a decent amount of cap space/guys returning from IR, we've got a chance to reload pretty quickly. Also, Seattle's defense is on the cusp of losing a lot of key players. They're not as scary as they once were.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a QB. We need a bridge QB. Keenum has never played well enough consistently to warrant Kirk Cousins type numbers for a contract, and will probably also come cheaper than Tyrod Taylor. He (or any of the Vikings QBs) is probably the best solution to come in and start a season with a young draft pick backing him up as the potential QB of the future. There aren't a lot of FA QB options out there that are fits for the Cardinals and what we need going forward. No matter what happens, this team has to sign some QBs before the draft, and Keenum with Shurmur is the right mix of cost and upside.

All that aside, I think our OL when healthy is much better than you give it credit for. We definitely need to sign and draft some receivers. At TE, Gresham is adequate, and Ricky Seals-Jones showed some promise.

With the amount of draft picks we'll have, and a decent amount of cap space/guys returning from IR, we've got a chance to reload pretty quickly. Also, Seattle's defense is on the cusp of losing a lot of key players. They're not as scary as they once were.

Keenum is a bridge to oblivion. Better to pay Cousins the money and let Shurmur go to work with him.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim's collaborative approach didn't solve the Amos Jones situation, did it? An assertive GM would have never allowed this to persist.

One who respects the agreed upon roles and responsibilities would. and who says Keim had an issue with Jones?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keenum is a bridge to oblivion. Better to pay Cousins the money and let Shurmur go to work with him.
I'm a Cousins supporter but there always has to be a backup plan. Cousins could get wooed by Denver long before we're ever able to talk with him. He could re-sign with the Redskins. The team could just outright decide he costs too much and doesn't fit the new system.

One way or another there are going to be new QBs on this roster.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like that coordinator combo with Bettcher and it's not like this is a bad coaching staff overall. The consistency could pay off.

On the other hand, I do think Shurmur is the closest thing we have to a perfect fit if he can bring Keenum along with him. I'd love it if we could bring in Shurmur AND retain Bettcher.

Insert Smith or Bradford instead of Keenum, and I'm on board

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Shurmur and Keenan we have instant chemistry. I’m going to be watching the Vikings this weekend especially the wr’s. I read where Shurmurs is a genius at play design and his wr’s are often wide open. Every one of his qb’s has excelled. So did Diggs and so did thielen. That’s Enough to convince me. Story in the Chicago newspaper says he is bland compared to Arians. Doesn’t look like nicknames like “knee deep” will be part of his press conferences.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What would be interesting is if we brought in Shurmur as HC, and DeFilippo as OC (still a promotion).

It would be good having multiple hot offensive minds on the staff.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Shurmur and Keenan we have instant chemistry. I’m going to be watching the Vikings this weekend especially the wr’s. I read where Shurmurs is a genius at play design and his wr’s are often wide open. Every one of his qb’s has excelled. So did Diggs and so did thielen. That’s Enough to convince me. Story in the Chicago newspaper says he is bland compared to Arians. Doesn’t look like nicknames like “knee deep” will be part of his press conferences.

With Bradford you in fact have more chemistry

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm a Cousins supporter but there always has to be a backup plan. Cousins could get wooed by Denver long before we're ever able to talk with him. He could re-sign with the Redskins. The team could just outright decide he costs too much and doesn't fit the new system.

One way or another there are going to be new QBs on this roster.

All the decent QBs available like Keenum, Cousins, Alex Smith (trade) etc are west coast offensive style guys.

Personally, I like Whisenhunt/Arians/Haley's vertical style of offense. So Munchak as HC + Haley as OC intrigues me. But non of the above QBs fit that mold and I don't think Cardinals can develop a QB.

So Shurmur + Cousins OR Shurmur + Keenum/Alex Smith + QB drafted might be how this search will end up.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And a QB who can't stay healthy AT ALL... How anyone can be championing Sam bradford is quite a head scratcher..
I'm not against it if he comes in cheap. Again, it kind of comes down to a "who can we realistically get" scenario. If at the end of the season, the Vikings franchise Keenum, but Shurmur was our coach, I might be more prone to just picking up Bradford who knows the system and could teach it to a highly drafted rookie.

I'm not a huge Alex Smith fan personally, especially not in the scenario in which we have to give up high draft picks.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score

Quite negative scenario. Our defense could improve with several young players only getting better. A healthy David Johnson will work wonders for any offense. Vikings turned around their OL from worst to one of the best within an offseason. We did quite well down the stretch with Gabbert and Stanton, who aren't better than backup caliber. Keenum has proven he is better than backup caliber. Idk if he is a top 10 QB in the NFL, but in an offense that will run through David Johnson and a good defense, I have no doubt Keenum could lead us to many wins.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I th

ink our oline is much better than we have seen. It bothers me that we have seen guys come in here, play decent, then get worse over time. IMO a good oline coach is going to look like a genius after an off season with our guys.... but I do think we need a bigger center...to come out of a snap and block a guy 45 pounds bigger is insanely tough...to come out of a snap and block a guy 20 pounds bigger is less tough.

I would be okay with Keenum and a first round QB as long as Keenum dont cost more than about $7.5mil per... but I would rather have Teddy if his psyche has recovered from the knee injury...still remains to be seen how well Minne does in the playoffs and which of their QB's they are willing to pay. They actually have more invested in Bradford than Teddy

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson