Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part II

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone else find it weird we heard nothing about any of the interviews we did this weekend?

Do u expect some rumor coming out from Arizona's beat writers?
I think the process still fluid, the coordinators has to come in valley first

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Absolutely. These meetings have been held offsite in private in the locations of the candidates. Bidwill and Keim have been on the road the whole time doing the interviews at a very hectic pace. Once the candidates can come to Arizona, we will have more insight on who they like.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Anyone else find it weird we heard nothing about any of the interviews we did this weekend?

Not with this front office. The Cards run a tight ship and even though it was speculated Arians would retire, the Cards basically knew and said nothing till it happen... I guess it's the lawyer in Michael lol

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Mitch, I am on the Shurmur bandwagon as well. He makes the most sense. QB's have done well everywhere he's gone. Don't know much about Dorsey though.

If Shurmur can help find and develop a QB, then he is worth the hire even if he fails as a head coach... and if he fails but finds the QB, then failure might mean not advancing in the playoffs :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with this front office. The Cards run a tight ship and even though it was speculated Arians would retire, the Cards basically knew and said nothing till it happen... I guess it's the lawyer in Michael lol

what are you talking about? Story was dropped on Sunday morning before the Hawks game that he was retiring and already told the brass. That could only have leaked from the front office.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
And a QB who can't stay healthy AT ALL... How anyone can be championing Sam bradford is quite a head scratcher..
Because he completes 75% of his 1-7 yard passes lol :mrgreen:

I just don’t get why some here luv this kid! Don’t get it

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
what are you talking about? Story was dropped on Sunday morning before the Hawks game that he was retiring and already told the brass. That could only have leaked from the front office.

His agent was the most likely source. Same way we likely found out about bettcher's staff if hired

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I thought he was just tied to Shurmur. People just wanted him like BA wanted DS, so he could teach the system to whomever was brought in. That is what I assumed anyway.
I get it Mike I just think there are better options

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
That could only have leaked from the front office.

I dunno. could have come from an Arians family member

As an example, Jude LaCava had Jake Arians on Sportsnight last Sunday "to talk Bruce Arians legacy"--that promo spot was run about 5 mins after the game vs Seahawks ended.

Weird, Jake Arians agrees to do a retrospective on his Dad before his dad officially announces his retirement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because his other clients were likely up for the position (and for other potential openings). More competition = more $$

That doesn’t make much sense. It was going to help his clients that much... to get that scoop out for 24 hours... when he couldn’t do anything with those clients anyway?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shurmur---I would think by now that he has to be the Cardinals' top choice. He fits all of MB&SK's criteria the best from and experience and track record of success standpoint. Word is he would bring QB Case Keenum with him and that he would groom a young QB behind Keenum.

Mitch, do you think Shurmur can sell his personality and demeanor to Steve Keim and Mr. Bidwill? I mean, he is basically the exact opposite of Bruce Arians in that regard, and thus what they seem to like in a head coach. I get that we really do not have that big of a sample size since the two of them have only hired Arians together, and personally, I sort of like how Shurmur is. I am just not sure the decision makers will, and I think it could maybe be kind of a big deal to them.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, do you think Shurmur can sell his personality and demeanor to Steve Keim and Mr. Bidwill? I mean, he is basically the exact opposite of Bruce Arians in that regard, and thus what they seem to like in a head coach. I get that we really do not have that big of a sample size since the two of them have only hired Arians together, and personally, I sort of like how Shurmur is. I am just not sure the decision makers will, and I think it could maybe be kind of a big deal to them.

Gandhi---Ron Wolfley theorized on radio the other day that it's often the case where teams' FOs hire successors at HC that are opposite of the outgoing coach. I think there is some credence to this. BA was a loose cannon and it would be surprising if some of BA's demeanor didn't sit well with the FO. Shurmur is a detail guy. He is a find a way to give your team a competitive edge guy. He works well with QBs. He outfoxes DCs. I think that much of what Shurmur brings are things that MB&SK are looking for. Similarly, Matt Patricia is a detail, out-prepare you guy. So is Keith Armstrong. Now---if they want a more outgoing, emphatic type of personality, they go with DeFilippo, Wilks or Bettcher. If they want a "rock at the top" guy they go with Munchak.

Which coach do you think MB&SK like the best? Everyone please respond.

My instinct has told me DeFilippo all along. But, does Flip have the right package of coaches? Vic Fangio is now able to talk to teams---if Flip could persuade Fangio to join him, that could rival a McVay/Phillips combo.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gandhi---Ron Wolfley theorized on radio the other day that it's often the case where teams' FOs hire successors at HC that are opposite of the outgoing coach. I think there is some credence to this. BA was a loose cannon and it would be surprising if some of BA's demeanor didn't sit well with the FO. Shurmur is a detail guy. He is a find a way to give your team a competitive edge guy. He works well with QBs. He outfoxes DCs. I think that much of what Shurmur brings are things that MB&SK are looking for. Similarly, Matt Patricia is a detail, out-prepare you guy. So is Keith Armstrong. Now---if they want a more outgoing, emphatic type of personality, they go with DeFilippo, Wilks or Bettcher. If they want a "rock at the top" guy they go with Munchak.

My instinct has told me DeFilippo all along. But, does Flip have the right package of coaches? Vic Fangio is now able to talk to teams---if Flip could persuade Fangio to join him, that could rival a McVay/Phillips combo.
I have long thought that hiring a 1st time HC puts the team in the hole since he doesn't have a rolodex of quality assistants to contact and hire, but given the number of dismantled coaching staffs from the record number of HC firings there is a whole herd of unemployed coaching candidates available. Just a matter of plucking the good ones for a decent staff.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm a nobody and he pretty much said he was going to retire to me im the bathroom line at a restaurant the Friday night before the Seattle game. The retirement stuff was out there from BA for weeks, pretty unfair to label it a front office leak.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Looks like the Giants are putting on a full court press to sign Steve Wilks today---both owners will be in attendance.

Thus, Wilks may not be making his scheduled trip to AZ tomorrow.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I still think it will be Shurmer because of what he can do with an O and a QB but I will take a run at the point above.

In my experience, teams or even companies try to hire successors who are opposite of the guy they are replacing when that guy didn't work out and was fired so I don't buy Wolfley's argument here. I think it is just the opposite when a leader retires you try to maintain momentum through a successor from the inside. In this case BA is such a unique character that I think these theories go out the window. But lets play along and assume they were to try to take this approach.

Assuming there wasn't some negative feelings toward BA's style and they really loved him, I could see them giving Betch a shot. I also never viewed Bettcher as outgoing but I understand him to be very bright, organized and meticulous. While he is a long-shot it wouldn't shock me if he could bring the staff of Pagano and McCoy that they could surprise everyone and tap him. I say this only because BA is the first successful coach they have hired and if Betch has BA's support and can be surrounded by a lot of the coaches that loved BA then maybe MBSK see this as a less risky Sean McVay move toward a young smart HC because this successor approach would likely include a ton of experienced and loyal guys surrounding him to make sure he succeeds.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Seems like the radio guys this morning kept bring up JBettcher .... uh oh.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson