Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part II

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What special quality does Bettcher possess that would indicate he would be a good HC?

He has only been coaching in the NFL for 6 years---he was thrust way too soon into the DC position with very mixed results.

Some fans keep saying the defense was better the second half of the year---but the second half of the year includes:

22-16 home loss to SEA

31-21 road loss to HOU

32-16 home loss to LAR

20-15 road loss to WAS

Giving up 26.5 ppt in the 4 losses which essentially knocked the Cardinals out of playoff contention.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doesn't have any experience as head coach plus with the pkayers he coached didn't do anything special
Silly choice going with him
I don't disagree. I was shocked when they named him DC but I was also shocked when the Rams hired Sean McVay. There must be way more to him than we know. I think the only way they hire him is if they are dead set on a successor from within and are convinced that his supporting staff could compensate for his inexperience. I don't think this wold be a big fan favorite.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is going to be Shurmur with Keenum and the oldest roster in NFL again isn't it?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What special quality does Bettcher possess that would indicate he would be a good HC?

He has only been coaching in the NFL for 6 years---he was thrust way too soon into the DC position with very mixed results.

Some fans keep saying the defense was better the second half of the year---but the second half of the year includes:

22-16 home loss to SEA

31-21 road loss to HOU

32-16 home loss to LAR

20-15 road loss to WAS

Giving up 26.5 ppt in the 4 losses which essentially knocked the Cardinals out of playoff contention.
not even six years. he wasnt a coach in Indy,...he was Paganos personal assistant.... basically an intern/secretary

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
not even six years. he wasnt a coach in Indy,...he was Paganos personal assistant.... basically an intern/secretary

Actually, Pagano assigned Bettch to work with the OLBers, but they never changed his title as assistant to the HC.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bettcher may or may not be ready to take over as HC but you cannot deny he took advantage of the opportunities presented to him in only 6 years in NFL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
y
Bettcher may or may not be ready to take over as HC but you cannot deny he took advantage of the opportunities presented to him in only 6 years in NFL.
yeah...rather he maximized his opportunities or parlayed his relationships,...he has done well to only have six years in the league and have a team be willing to interview him as HC

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I thought he was just tied to Shurmur. People just wanted him like BA wanted DS, so he could teach the system to whomever was brought in. That is what I assumed anyway.

This is how I feel, basically. If Shurmur comes here, signing one of the three Vikings QBs makes the most logical sense for a team with no one at all at the position. I don't want to pay a bounty for Bradford, but I don't think he'll get one.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
What many people don't know: Shurmur was an offensive lineman for Michigan State and had numerous stints as OL coach before specializing on developing QBs. Also has experience as ST coach. Munchak obviously is a HOF OL, but hasn't been working directly with QBs very much. Most recently Shurmur succeeded with Foles and Keenum as his QBs, 2 QBs that are considered below-average starters at best. This shows that he has a great scheme that puts QBs in position to succeed. Let's call it QB-friendly, polar opposite of Arians. You can see it the successful playoff teams all run some type of WCO, and most offensive HC candidates (Nagy, DeFilippo, Shurmur) are basically from that same Andy Reid WCO coaching tree. I think Shurmur could work wonders for a young QB in terms of getting him ready to take the field quickly. Also when you see what he's done with Dalvin Cook early in the season and then later with McKinnon/Murray, you have to be excited what he could do with David Johnson.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Giants are putting on a full court press to sign Steve Wilks today---both owners will be in attendance.

Thus, Wilks may not be making his scheduled trip to AZ tomorrow.
Well since Mike Shula and Ken Dorsey just got fired by Ron Rivera they could be candidates to come with him. Helluva easier job to tutor and play call for Eli than Cam. If Davis Webb is the heir apparent to Eli he could use Dorsey.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who would some DC candidates that Shurmur has ties to?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So Steve Wilks's team is using same strategy as Andy Reid?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone give a run down of type of defense Wilks likes to run and how it fits current cardinals personnel?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Can someone give a run down of type of defense Wilks likes to run and how it fits current cardinals personnel?

His defense in Carolina is a 43. The best news of a switch to the 43 would be putting Haason Reddick is his most natural position, 43 OLB. The Cardinals need a MLB whether they stay in the 34 or switch to the 43.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Which coach do you think MB&SK like the best? Everyone please respond.

Well, I kind of think that is two questions in one. That is because I really believe that at least Steve Keim are very fascinated with DeFilippo. I thought I read a rumor that Keim has been interested in hiring DeFilippo to the staff for years. That said, I also think that both Keim and Mr. Bidwill are hesitant to gamble on DeFilippo being ready to become a head coach already. If someone like Jim Schwartz, who are also currently employed by the Eagles, would want to bring DeFilippo as his offensive coordinator I believe that would give Schwartz a pretty big advantage in the eyes of Keim and Mr. Bidwill.

My answer to the second part of the question is Pat Shurmur. I think they want to hire him, since I think they want an offensive minded coach that has experience with different units and a track record of building a good offensive squad. My only question would be about his personality and demeanor, as I wrote, but I think that might be where they are willing to compromise. Also, Mr. Bidwill were part of the hiring of Ken Whisenhunt, and he was not that outgoing.

I think Steve Wilks could be an alternative, mainly because I tend to believe it is a bigger deal to the decision makers that he has been an assistant head coach than it seems to be to a lot of fans and media pundits.

My own opinion is that I really want them to hire Matt Patricia. It is actually based solely on a feeling I have that he will be a good leader of groups. I have nothing to back it up, and I know about the history of assistant coaches from New England that becomes head coaches. I just think he will be a very good head coach.

I also want to add in general and not to you specifically, that all of the candidates are lottery tickets in some form. There are reasons why they are not head coaches right now, and since none of us know those reasons we can only guess if they are good or bad. Dan Quinn, Mike Zimmer, Doug Pederson or the likes are not going to suddenly change team and come to Arizona. I guess I am just trying to say that there is no such thing as a perfect candidate, and though it is a fair way of judging a guy, it is not right to dismiss anyone because what others have done in a similar situation. All of these guys have flaws, and if you wanted you could find reasons for not hiring any one of them.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So Steve Wilks's team is using same strategy as Andy Reid?

Lots of things in consideration for me if I'm a head coach, but maybe I'm too picky of a person. Moving my family across the country (if I had one) would be a serious concern of mine. Moving from Carolina to NY wouldn't bother me as much.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For all you Bettcher fans, it may be happening! Chuck Pagano has not taken Ravens job. Pagano is available to pair with Bettcher as his DC.