Cardinals at Seahawks gameday thread 11-21-2021

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely need to force a non-100% Kyler out there so he can prove his “toughness” to guys that most likely didn’t play college ball, let alone professional ball, all the while the injury lingers for the rest of the season. It definitely has been working out for Baker Mayfield & the Browns this season.

It’s almost like this didn’t happen to us just last season.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I am optimistic, wasn’t just colt that had a bad game, AJ green wasn’t involved As their run game destroyed our defense for almost 2-1 time of possession. Turnovers kill and are more likely in a one dimensional pass game, as are 0 yard incompletions, which are mostly bad. I have as much faith in KK as whiz and BA of calling a balanced game plan, maybe just a hair more, if he says cards need to run more after this one, again, need to scripto it on his head, hands and engrave it on his sunglasses.

But I think he will and Conner will have more then 2 runs late in the first half. eno had 2 also laye in the first 1/2 last week. We have been last in run attempts most of 2 decades now, and sometimes have lead in rushing! I mean we have the talent, but this undercuts it’s effectiveness across the board. often it is skewed by run attempts to close out a game, which is great when it works, but I don’t think defenses even play run defense in his 1st 15 scripted plays? Play action can’t work in an empty backfield.

continuity and consistency is what I’m looking for in this middle of the season. Heading into weather and playoffs, we need to practice championship football, practice the run more to reduce stupid penalties that call back needed runs yards or stop drives. Pick our shots, not pick our runs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be a week where I get more enjoyment watching other teams in the hunt lose over our game.

Come on Vikes and Chiefs!

Meanwhile, another conference loss for us is going to sting when it comes to tiebreakers, if that’s our fate today.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a perfect storm. This isn't. Unless you expect we get gashed yet create timely turnovers all over the place. Again. Lightning like that doesn't usually strike twice.
Stout, I’m trying to find a glimmer of hope. Truth is the Seahawks stink. This is a game we should win. Anybody who has watched the Seahawks will tell you they are not the same team as they were and it’s not all because Wilson was out.
We should be able to pressure Wilson all day and they really don’t have a rb that can carry their offense. This game is going to come down to our patience to establish the run and our defensive game plan.

We cannot put the game on the arm of McCoy. This is a winnable game but it won’t be in an offensive shootout.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ankle injuries have always perplexed me. As a basketball player, if I rolled an ankle I couldn't walk let alone practice.

Kyler in the past two weeks has practiced 5 times. Warmed up before the past two games. Was seen running, jumping, hopping on his toes, and doing multiple footwork drills. Not only by reporters but also on twitter in actual practice videos. For over 10 days now.

Now, after all of that, he allegedly is taking another two weeks off?

This isn't a 100% issue. I hate that argument @DVontel. And it certainly isn't about toughness.

If he misses today, he could have been placed on IR to free up a roster spot. But from everything we have been told, Kyler is making the final call on this. And that has me slightly worried. Rightfully so I think.

The kid has to learn how to manage this stuff so that when it really matters, the playoffs, he knows how to take care of himself.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, I’m trying to find a glimmer of hope. Truth is the Seahawks stink. This is a game we should win. Anybody who has watched the Seahawks will tell you they are not the same team as they were and it’s not all because Wilson was out.
We should be able to pressure Wilson all day and they really don’t have a rb that can carry their offense. This game is going to come down to our patience to establish the run and our defensive game plan.

We cannot put the game on the arm of McCoy. This is a winnable game but it won’t be in an offensive shootout.

We don’t have a real pass rush to put to the heat on Wilson. And McCoy is just awful. I don’t think most games with a Colt McCoy at QB is very “winnable.”

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ankle injuries have always perplexed me. As a basketball player, if I rolled an ankle I couldn't walk let alone practice.

Kyler in the past two weeks has practiced 5 times. Warmed up before the past two games. Was seen running, jumping, hopping on his toes, and doing multiple footwork drills. Not only by reporters but also on twitter in actual practice videos. For over 10 days now.

This isn't a 100% issue. I hate that argument @DVontel. And it certainly isn't about toughness.

If he misses today, he could have been placed on IR to free up a roster spot. But from everything we have been told, Kyler is making the final call on this. And that has me slightly worried. Rightfully so I think.

The kid has to learn how to manage this stuff so that when it really matters, the playoffs, he knows how to take care of himself.
There’s clearly a much bigger difference between doing all of this at 50% than it is at 100% with 11 bodies coming at you.

You might hate the argument, but it’s absolutely a reasonable one. Don’t pretend it’s not one either.

Pretty clear he wasn’t put on IR because other teams still had to gameplan for him. Hence the Niners game-planning for Kyler when they kept playing deep instead of playing up close like they have for Colt.

I think he’s managing it just fine. You, me, nor anyone else here knows Kyler’s body more than Kyler. Lets not act like we do. Speaking for myself, I’d rather Kyler be 100% going into the final stretch & not anything less. The glorification from the older generation playing through injuries like it doesn’t limit your team more than it helps has to stop, especially when it’s the QB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s the unknowns here that bring about so many questions. I think it’s fair for people to worry either about the team’s strategy or Kyler’s durability at this point because both of them seem to be pretty murky.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t have a real pass rush to put to the heat on Wilson. And McCoy is just awful. I don’t think most games with a Colt McCoy at QB is very “winnable.”
I’m not even sure if Wilson is 100% or was 100% coming back last week. There’s being rusty & then there’s just being awful & he was flat out awful last week. I questioned if he came back too early.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
There’s clearly a much bigger difference between doing all of this at 50% than it is at 100% with 11 bodies coming at you.

You might hate the argument, but it’s absolutely a reasonable one. Don’t pretend it’s not one either.

Pretty clear he wasn’t put on IR because other teams still had to gameplan for him. Hence the Niners game-planning for Kyler when they kept playing deep instead of playing up close like they have for Colt.

I think he’s managing it just fine. You, me, nor anyone else here knows Kyler’s body more than Kyler. Lets not act like we do. Speaking for myself, I’d rather Kyler be 100% going into the final stretch & not anything less. The glorification from the older generation playing through injuries like it doesn’t limit your team more than it helps has to stop, especially when it’s the QB.
If you have a high ankle sprain, or just a bad low ankle sprain, the movements I mentioned above are almost impossible to perform.

I'd rather be 100% going in to the final 6 games as well, but who's to say he won't gather another injury two games back? I think it's foolish to say that anyone coming down the stretch is healthy. All are just tolerating a certain amount of pain.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your doubt. But we beat a 49er team that absolutely clobbered the invincible Rams team. We did it by avoiding turnovers and running the ball. If we do that we have a chance.
Many games have been won where the starting Qb was 14 of 19 for 192 yards.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your doubt. But we beat a 49er team that absolutely clobbered the invincible Rams team. We did it by avoiding turnovers and running the ball. If we do that we have a chance.
Many games have been won where the starting Qb was 14 of 19 for 192 yards.
A) we know the Rams aren’t invincible.
B) The Niners flat out own that Rams team.
C) McCoy going 14 for 19 for 192 yards would be almost as miraculous as his Niners performance. That was the exception to the rule. Last week was the rule.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If KK comes out throwing again it could be a long day but I think the Cards would still win. Run the ball, let Colt go to the short game and I think the Cards will roll. Seattle is not a very good team right now, even with Russ. If the Cards play smart I think they can score 30+ on them.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If KK comes out throwing again it could be a long day but I think the Cards would still win. Run the ball, let Colt go to the short game and I think the Cards will roll. Seattle is not a very good team right now, even with Russ. If the Cards play smart I think they can score 30+ on them.
60-40 run/pass, we win. Other way around, we lose.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you have a high ankle sprain, or just a bad low ankle sprain, the movements I mentioned above are almost impossible to perform.

I'd rather be 100% going in to the final 6 games as well, but who's to say he won't gather another injury two games back? I think it's foolish to say that anyone coming down the stretch is healthy. All are just tolerating a certain amount of pain.
I think you’re still confusing yourself prepping yourself in practice against nobody going half speed versus going full-speed in real games.

What if cars fly? What if Trevor Lawrence throws for 500 yards today? Your hypothetical is moot. If that happens, we’ll talk about it. But otherwise, kind of pointless to bring something like that up.

There’s a difference playing “hurt” & playing “injured”. Everybody is hurt. It’s football & 17 games of it. Not everybody is injured. It’s foolish to not differentiate between the two.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one remembers or probably no one just cares, but Jimmy G came back from a high ankle sprain earlier than he should’ve & as a result, put a major dent in the Niners’ chances & missed the rest of the season as a result.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why do I have a bad feeling that this team only wins 2 or 3 more games to end up as 6th seed. Seahawks are desperate & don't think a dinged up McCoy stands a chance today.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one remembers or probably no one just cares, but Jimmy G came back from a high ankle sprain earlier than he should’ve & as a result, put a major dent in the Niners’ chances & missed the rest of the season as a result.

But We’ve been told over and over again that it wasn’t a high ankle sprain.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But We’ve been told over and over again that it wasn’t a high ankle sprain.
It was pointed out during the Niners game that he had one. Sideline reporter Laura Okmin mentioned it. There’s no way I’m the only one that caught that?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will be able to score a bit more than a McCoy led offense. Russ doesn't put up two bad games in a row. HOF'ers don't seem to do that.

Hawks: 34
Cards: 13

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
JFC, are you kidding me? We're approaching the land of the absurd here. Is this kid made of popsickle sticks? Or is the team trying to coddle him? Something's gotta give, because we're staring down the barrel of 2020 all over again.
I think they are avoiding 2020 by sitting him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are avoiding 2020 by sitting him.

Sitting him out of extreme caution might accomplish the same fate. Do we think that after essentially six weeks off, Kyler’s not going to be at all rusty when we come back on the road in prob bad weather in Chicago? Not sure I’d count that as a gimme when he gets back.

But without knowing the actual severity of the injury, we’re all kind of in the dark. Just confused... if he’s healthy enough for five practices over the last 9 days, well... just a brow crinkling moment.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used that a couple of weeks ago as an example of why if Kyler has a high ankle sprain he should sit until the bye.

It's both for being able to protect himself by running and throwing the ball. the problem Jimmy G had it was the foot he pushes off when he throws so his throws had no zip.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn