Cardinals' 2009 Draft: The RB Choices at #31

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
RB Tim Hightower has already proven that he's a dynamic short yardage runner, particularly in the red zone. With this success under his belt, Hightower, who will no longer have to worry about taking starts and snaps away from a Hall of Famer, in Edgerrin James, should be able to step right into the starting RB role. Some fans have already come to the conclusion that Hightower isn't cut out to be a workhouse starting RB. That assessment is highly pre-mature. In this day and age, NFL teams need to keep their RBs reasonably fresh by going to a 2 to 3 RB rotation, the way the Cardinals did last year...which is why the Cardinals need to figure out who replaces Edgerrin James and J.J. Arrington.

The point is this: the Cardinals already have, in Hightower, one major piece to the puzzle.

At #31...the RBs available should make that decision more tantalizing:

The Cardinals can reasonably expect to see one or more of these top RBs available at #31: Knowshon Moreno, Georgia; Chris Wells, Ohio St.; Donald Brown, Connecticut; and LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh. It would appear that selecting any of these four RBs at #31 would be considered excellent value, as all of these RBs carry a first round grade. Wells is the biggest and best leg driver of the backs, Moreno may be the most explosive and elusive, Brown may have the best combination of skills, and McCoy may be the quickest of the four to get to top speed.

Some perceived negatives are: Wells's durability (Pro Scouts Inc. says of Wells: "Some close to the Buckeye program have questioned whether he knows the difference between pain and injury.") and lack of high end stop-watch speed; Moreno lacks top end speed and is a poor blocker; Brown, according to Pro Scouts, "Might lack the bulk and leg drive to be a true bell-cow runner in the NFL, and he lacks elite breakaway speed"; McCoy, they said, "Doesn't have great size or the compact strength of elite backs. Must prove he can gain the tough yards. Invites turnovers by running with the ball loose."

Yet, the two best finshers of runs in this draft, Shonn Greene (Iowa) and Rashad Jennings (Liberty) are not any of these four. Both Greene and Jennings run in the 4.5 range, which is why the other four are considered a grade above. Yet, thus far none of the elite four has run in the 4.3s during the combine or pro day workouts.

The three RBs in this class who stand out as being excellent reciever third down-type back are Andre Brown (North Carolina St.), Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon) and Kory Sheets (Purdue). Brown has intriguing size as well. But, it's hard to grade Brown because he never established himself as the lead back at NC St. Thus, it may be safe to assume that if the Cardinals want to take a third down back to replace Arrington with, they should be able to get one of these three in the 4th or 5th round.

Lastly, there's a player who bears mention here because of what he could provide the team as a third down RB and that's WR/RB Percy Harvin of Florida. Can you imagine what fits DCs would have trying to defend the Cardinals' super talented group of WRs and have to find a way to defend Harvin from out of the backfield? Harvin is Darren Sproles, only 4 inches taller.

Harvin may very well slide to #31, because scouts are concerned about his durability. And their concerns are understandable, as Harvin seemed to always be fighting off injuries at Florida (even so, he didn't miss many games...quite a few practices, yes). But, what if he hits the NFL running and relatively injury free the way the oft injured Adrian Peterson did? If you look up Harvin's numbers at Florida, they are staggering. His career rushing average per carry is nearly in double digits. And Harvin was given close to 10 snaps out of the backfield a game, sometimes more. As a WR, Harvin was seemingly always open, as he made one big play after another. The main reason is his outstanding release. This kid has the fastest and quickest feet of anyone in the draft, and whenever he is pressed, he shows decent upper-body strength to manipulate his man and then one quick burst and he gains immediate separation.

The way Whiz loves multi-purpose players in his offense...Harvin, with his rare abilities and his propensity to scare the Dickens out of defenses and defensive coordinators, might be the most intriguing choice of all, particularly if the Cardinals could select Shonn Greene or Rashad Jennings at #95 in round three (one of them may well be on the board still, as may James Davis, a RB many people think is a sleeper in this draft). Another interesting option may be Ian Johnson of Boise St., who, quite frankly, reminds me a little of Johnny Johnson.

In conclusion, the Cardinals' decision will likely be made easier if Wells, Moreno and Harvin are off the board at #31, as many expect them to be.

If the Cardinals are intent on taking a RB at #31...I think they go with the best all-around option in Donald Brown...or...if the Cardinals like Greene or Jennings as much, they will take a pass rusher at #31 and look to take Greene or Jennings at #63 or hope one will be available at #95.

My own feeling is, if Harvin is available at #31, he's the injection of speed and homerun ability that would make the current offense practically unstoppable. He also would provide added insurance if Boldin is traded or gets hurt again. And, of course, I already like Hightower as the starting RB, and I think adding Shonn Greene or Rashad Jennings in round three would be a another boon, as I think they have a chance of being just as productive or more in the NFL as Brown or McCoy.

Last edited:

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree that Moreno is more explosive than Wells.

Harvin won't fall to 31, nor should we pick him IMO.. Yes he'd be a nice toy for Whis to play with, but when you have glaring holes at RB and pass rusher, you should probably take BPA at those positions.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I disagree that Moreno is more explosive than Wells.

Harvin won't fall to 31, nor should we pick him IMO.. Yes he'd be a nice toy for Whis to play with, but when you have glaring holes at RB and pass rusher, you should probably take BPA at those positions.

+1

I think Harvin will have that effect for some team but he is a luxury we cannot afford IMO.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't think that the Cards go for a rb in round one. Whis feels that you can get a quality back in later rounds. IMO Cards are going to look for a back with speed. Mike Goodson from Texas A&M would appear to have that speed.
He is 5'11" 208 lbs. He could be there in round 3.

- NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Mike Goodson RB Texas A&M: Goodson posted a blistering 4.43-second 40-yard dash at his March 4 Pro Day. That was improved from the 4.54 he ran at the Scouting Combine in late February. - Rob Rang, NFL Draft Scout

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Excellent post, mitch! I would want the backs at #31 in this order:
knowson moreno
beanie wells
lesean mccoy
rashad jennings

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Excellent post, mitch! I would want the backs at #31 in this order:
knowson moreno
beanie wells
lesean mccoy
rashad jennings

Moreno and Wells will not be there

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Moreno and Wells will not be there

Agreed. I think it will be a debate between Brown and McCoy, and the best pass rusher available. I think McCoy is a better contrast on style to Hightower and gives this offense another dynamic home run threat. That said, is a homevrun threat what we need or does Whiz want to get back to the grind-it-out type running game with two backs who run well between the tackles and are better after initial contact.

It is a difficult choice between the 2 because they bring different things to the table. That said I think if one of the elite pass rushers falls to us at 31 (such as Brown, Maybin, Matthews, or Ayers) that could very well be our selection. That said I don't see any of them falling.

P.S. I want McCoy.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think it was Mike Lombardi who said he wasn't that concerned with Wells's injury dings because once he gets into a NFL program they will have his body "ready" to take the pounding.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are stuck in "Groundhog day" syndrome. All of us restating our positions over and over again. Egads. Bring on the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn