Bubba Ho-Tep

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
There was a thread on this a while back but it's been outdated so I'll start a new one.

Got to see this one over the weekend in Tucson (anybody reading this living in southern AZ, it's playing at the Loft until Friday).

Those of you not in the know, Bubba Ho-Tep is the story of an elderly Elvis Pressley (it's explained that the real Elvis swapped places with an impersonator shortly before his claimed death) residing in a nursing home where a mummy begins feeding on the residents. Elvis must team up with an elderly black man who may or may not be JFK to defeat the mummy.

This is without a doubt the most original and entertaining film I've seen in quite some time. Bruce Campbell gives his best performance (and arguably one of the year's best performances) as a geriatric Elvis. Ossie Davis is exceptional, but I couldn't get past the fact that he didn't have a Boston accent. Still, he does a great job as a paranoid JFK who is still terrified of LBJ.

This film succeeds because it offers something original. We have all the conventions of a buddy comedy, except that both of the buddies deal with the realistic limitations of their age. There are some very serious, somber moments as they contemplate what it means to be forgotten in a nursing home. This is coupled with some absolutely hilarious scenes of Elvis using his kung-fu like dance moves on his enemies, and JFK using his motorized wheelchair as a weapon.

The theater I saw this in sold out, and the director (Don Cascarelli of Phantasm fame) was there for a Q & A. He informed us that Bruce Campbell has done an entire commentary track in character for the DVD. Hopefully this movie gets the following it deserves once it hits the shelves, while more cookie-cutter Hollywood crap wastes time in the theaters.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Damn you to the seventh level of Hell!!! This was going to lead off my movie-a-day week! Aaaaaargh!

Of course, I agree completely with your take, but, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggh!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Man, this movie sounds really good and its getting rave reviews.

So only one question remains ... WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE PLAYING HERE IN THE VALLEY?!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :computer: :hammer: :twisted:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Evil Ash
Man, this movie sounds really good and its getting rave reviews.

So only one question remains ... WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE PLAYING HERE IN THE VALLEY?!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :computer: :hammer: :twisted:

Good luck. This has been a VERY small release movie. I was lucky to find it in Youngstown, OH, near home, when I was visiting for the holidays. The folks actually liked it too.

Then again, if it keeps getting rave reviews, it might get bigger in the theaters too. Never know.

I just can't wait for Bubba Nosferatu! Rock on, Elvis!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Probably won't see it again until it comes out on DVD. Where it will make LOTS of money. Guaranteed.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Good luck. This has been a VERY small release movie.

Yeah I know ... thats what pisses me off! I don't want to wait for it to come out on DVD to see it and unfortunately I probably won't have the time to drive down to Tucson to go see it (which I have wanted to ever since I heard about this movie).

The folks actually liked it too.

Good to Hear!

Then again, if it keeps getting rave reviews, it might get bigger in the theaters too. Never know.

I hope so ... but I don't think thats likely to happen. :(

I wasn't exaggerating when I said that this is getting rave reviews ... on Rotten Tomatoes the movie is getting an 80% (Anything over 75% I believe gets on their recommended list)!

Link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/BubbaHoTep-1125736/?page=1

I just can't wait for Bubba Nosferatu! Rock on, Elvis!!!

Its for certain that he was going to make Bubba Nosferatu? Last I heard the director wanted to do it but wasn't sure if it was going to happen.

If true though ... SWEET! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Probably won't see it again until it comes out on DVD. Where it will make LOTS of money. Guaranteed.

I hope so Chap! At least that way the sequel will have a greater shot of having a bigger release.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Stout said:
Good luck. This has been a VERY small release movie. I was lucky to find it in Youngstown, OH, near home, when I was visiting for the holidays. The folks actually liked it too.

This movie is playing up here in Flagstaff, so it should be released just about everywhere. I am going to try and see it this week.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here's a page describing it, but it hasn't been updated since last September, it looks like.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808507924

As for Bubba Ho-Tep, it's actually quite unusual--in early February it played at the Nuart, which besides being small, has a major parking problem--as it's in Santa Monica, right off the 405. So not only is it a pain to actually go to (especially since I live in Burbank and it would take me at least 45 minutes to get there), but it is cramped and almost impossible to park down there. ADD to that the fact that it only played for about a week in Los Angeles, and you can imagine how difficult it was to actually see the movie. (For the record, I've only seen one movie at the Nuart since I've lived in LA, and I think it was one of the Python movies--Meaning of Life, I think it was)

OP
OP
mdamien13

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I went to the NuArt all the time when I lived in L.A. - you just got to be willing to park down the street. That's kind of typical of most places in L.A. It's worth seeing in a packed theater of like-minded people.

ehale911

Veteran
Reaction score
mdamien13 said:
Bump.

Everyone in the greater Phoenix area, this is gonna be playing at Madstone Theaters in Chandler this week (Apr 9-16).

Just saw it there. It was an awesome movie and surprisingly enough, my parents liked it as well. The later show was being followed up with a Q&A with the writer and director, but I wasn't able to stick around. The line to get into the later show was quite large.

I'd definately recommend this movie, it's highly entertaining.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is out on dvd now, and i got it and will watch it tonight and let you know what i think.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it last week - very unusual and entertaining movie. I would have liked the fight scene to go on longer, but other than that - excellent!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw this over the weekend.

it is the most original movie story i think i have ever heard of.

wife thought it was slow moving, but i thought it was really entertaining.

holy cow - who was elvis' roommates' daughter? :shock: :devil: