Brady=No Suspension

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Patriots live under a cheating culture. This doesn't vindicate them it just exposes the NFL for over reaching and being out witted because of their arrogance. Pleanty of guilty parties go free because the burden of proof rules work in their favor.

Goddell should remain as commish because he knows how to print money. The question though, is he too proud to completely restructure the penalty/judgment side of the league and remove himself entirely?

If I were him I would hire the judge that just ruled against him and that would neutralize any opposition. Let that guy run the process. He obviously is fair and the NFL just had no leg for him to stand on.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good news bad news scenario. Maybe 4 games was too much I have no idea. Maybe it's good that absolute power doesn't exist with Goodell.

But in the end is there a plausible reason why the Pats employee had the footballs for both his team and the opponent, violating NFL rules, that doesn't involve some form of cheating? That to me was the whole case, and as has been said it's preposterous to suggest that Tom Brady wasn't involved, they would not have employees tampering with game balls without the star QB of the team knowing they were being tampered with.

The balls were tampered with, Brady knew about it and probably pushed for it, but the NFL couldn't prove it because Brady refused to cooperate.

I suspect the NFL just chose the wrong punishment, suspend him for X games for refusing to cooperate and it would have stuck.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fair and impartial judge got it correct, IMHO. Now if the NFL wants to make up rules on the go, this is precedent setting. Does Ted Wells have to give his fee back ( I hope so)?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Time for Goodell to go.

It has been for a while now.

I knew this was the outcome when the judge said "You should settle", Brady offered to settle, and the NFL had the hubris to say no.

I think Goodell is suffering from being affluent to be honest. So used to: A. Getting money for nothing, and B. just throwing money at things to make them go away, or go the way he wants, that he is just completely in over his head trying to actually have responsibility that he has to be accountable for.

Just let him go back to what ever it is he did before this.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The balls were tampered with, TRUE

Brady knew about it and probably pushed for it, UNPROVEN

but the NFL couldn't prove it because Brady refused to cooperate.

PRESUPPOSES that his phone had evidence to support this, and that is impossible to establish.

A few thoughts...

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I for one am tired of these handpicked judges always ruling in the players' favor when up against the NFL.

Brady cheated. No if ands or buts. No 'video evidence' was possible as it doesn't exist, but he controlled the balls, the ball boys actions, and destroyed the only evidence that did exist because the NFL doesn't have subpoena power. But, the NFL is being held to the irrefutable burden of proof standard.

The Patriots culture is to cheat the game and suck up the accolades. The players union doesn't help matters either, always sticking up for the criminal as opposed to realizing that the ones he cheated against were also all the members of the players union.

Time for some on-the-field justice.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brady shouldn't get off scott free here. This is ridiculous. Some punishment is necessary, either for the ball deal, or for destroying evidence to hamper the investigation

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

Of course it's unproven that's why the judge ruled the way he did.

The reality is there is no way in the world that a paid employee of the Pats would intentionally tamper with game balls if Brady didn't know about it. Every NFL player that has been asked that question that I've seen, other than Pats players, has said that. There is no way someone is tampering with the balls and the QB doesn't know.

Tom Brady is the star of that team, there is no way those guys were doing it without him knowing. They did it because Brady wanted the balls a certain way.

Everyone knows this is the case, but the NFL failed to prove it. I have no idea if there's proof in Brady's phone or not, but he refused to hand it over.

Goodell should have agreed to suspend him for not cooperating, but I think he saw that as backing down.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if deflating balls means you score 44 points in a game we should start doing it right away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also wonder what happens with the NFL refs this year and Brady. In the past you got too close to him it's a penalty. Will that still be the case this year or will the NFL try to get some revenge on him by not protecting him as much?

I guess that's a question of do the refs support Goodell or not.

I don't think other teams will try and retaliate, but I do wonder if they will be allowed to touch Brady this year because the NFL is mad about this.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only guy that is on the Patriots or a fan of the Patriots that is pissed is Garoppolo. You know he secretly wanted the 4 game suspension

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course it's unproven that's why the judge ruled the way he did.

The reality is there is no way in the world that a paid employee of the Pats would intentionally tamper with game balls if Brady didn't know about it. Every NFL player that has been asked that question that I've seen, other than Pats players, has said that. There is no way someone is tampering with the balls and the QB doesn't know.

Tom Brady is the star of that team, there is no way those guys were doing it without him knowing. They did it because Brady wanted the balls a certain way.

Everyone knows this is the case, but the NFL failed to prove it. I have no idea if there's proof in Brady's phone or not, but he refused to hand it over.

Goodell should have agreed to suspend him for not cooperating, but I think he saw that as backing down.

Brady was willing to accept a one game suspension for not cooperating, but Goodell insisted that Brady accept the findings of the report, which he refused.

As Howard Cosell would have said: "Down goes Goodell, down goes Goodell !!! "

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The only guy that is on the Patriots or a fan of the Patriots that is pissed is Garoppolo. You know he secretly wanted the 4 game suspension

Ha ha true. He probably did this when he saw the news --->>> :computer:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if deflating balls means you score 44 points in a game we should start doing it right away.

I think every team that plays the Patriots should have their game balls inspected and measured before the game and then again right before kickoff I would insist the refs verify that the balls were not tampered with. not because I think the Pats will continue doing it, but just to piss them off.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So now a player suspended by the commish for a failed drug test can just sue the league and have his suspension vacated because he did not like the way the test was done.

I am sorry. In my opinion this cuts the commisher's legs off at the knees regarding player suspensions.