Brady=No Suspension

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right, I should have used 'could' instead of 'would' :thumbup: I'll have to read the ESPN piece soon, but for some reason I just don't trust ESPN as a whole in regards to the NFL. Maybe i'm being irrational, but I don't feel like they're very credible. I'll give it a read though.

We'll never know the truth but it comes off as if Goodell and the NFL had so much evidence against the Pats he got stuck in a tough situation. They won Superbowls cheating, nobody has ever gone back and vacated a Super Bowl etc, how do you effectively punish a team that was cheating that much? The answer is you can't, so he apparently chose to punish them in a way that looked severe based on what we were told they did, and not ever reveal what they actually did.

I don't think it was just because he's friends with Kraft, I think it was because he realized the NFL was going to have a HUGE black eye if it came out the Pats had been cheating that much for that long, and the NFL took that long to catch them. It basically comes off as if Eric Mangini of the Jets hadn't done something, the NFL would have just kept warning the Pats and never thrown the book at them. After Mangini exposed it, and the NFL realized just how widespread their cheating had been, in effect Goodell helped cover it up so he didn't have to explain away multiple SB titles aided by systemic cheating.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Yes I was wondering when someone was going to link that and then maybe explain to us again how this was a witch hunt to get Brady and not that Goodell realized he had a problem by not going further with Spygate and tried to make up for it this time around.

If half of that story is true Goodell should be fired, he had more than enough evidence to REALLY hammer the Pats then. that punishment seemed severe at the time but knowing how much evidence they had of how systemic this cheating was by the Pats, they didn't go nearly far enough IMO. They should have taken draft picks for several years and Kraft should have been HEAVILY fined.

Or a suspension for the head coach. Sean Payton was suspended for a full season; I would think that seasons of cheating should get the head coach suspended as well.

Matt L

Reaction score
We'll never know the truth but it comes off as if Goodell and the NFL had so much evidence against the Pats he got stuck in a tough situation. They won Superbowls cheating, nobody has ever gone back and vacated a Super Bowl etc, how do you effectively punish a team that was cheating that much? The answer is you can't, so he apparently chose to punish them in a way that looked severe based on what we were told they did, and not ever reveal what they actually did.

I don't think it was just because he's friends with Kraft, I think it was because he realized the NFL was going to have a HUGE black eye if it came out the Pats had been cheating that much for that long, and the NFL took that long to catch them. It basically comes off as if Eric Mangini of the Jets hadn't done something, the NFL would have just kept warning the Pats and never thrown the book at them. After Mangini exposed it, and the NFL realized just how widespread their cheating had been, in effect Goodell helped cover it up so he didn't have to explain away multiple SB titles aided by systemic cheating.

I agree They didn't destroy the evidence of cheating as a favor to the Patriots, they destroyed it because they were (correctly) worried about losing the public's trust in their product.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone I know posted something on FB from a friend who is involved in radio signal frequency and works for a college football team. he was actually hired by the NFL as a consultant to work on the Spygate case. It turns out the Jets had a guy on their staff who'd been in cryptography for the military and he figured out the Patriots were using "non assigned radio signals" to send stolen information from camera people and others down to the sidelines to be relayed in to the players(Tom Brady).

That Jets employee died in 2012 but he was instrumental in the NFL levying a big personal fine against Belichick which was used to buy more equipment for the NFL. That equipment essentially guaranteed that NFL teams were using assigned and ONLY assigned radio frequencies during games, it allowed the NFL to snoop on other radio traffic to make sure the Pats weren't doing it anymore.

The NFL wound up hiring a bunch of outside consultants who were experts in such things to initially help prove the Pats were doing it, and then to help design systems to prevent it from happening again.

The guy basically said that's why he was so surprised that Belichick and Brady were so aggressive in defending themselves in deflate gate, they were acting like they forgot that the NFL had them redhanded in a major cheating scandal and had never publicly released their roles in the scandal.

I guess they just assumed they were untouchable, they aren't going to leak that.

Matt L

Reaction score
that really needs to be it's own post.

Confirms that Brady cheated.

The Patriots are the dirtiest team in the NFL, and none of their titles are legit.

Belichek should be suspended for life. Kraft should be forced to sell the team.

I don't remember any part of the article confirming Brady was complicit in the deflating of the footballs. That said, i wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes I was wondering when someone was going to link that and then maybe explain to us again how this was a witch hunt to get Brady and not that Goodell realized he had a problem by not going further with Spygate and tried to make up for it this time around.

If half of that story is true Goodell should be fired, he had more than enough evidence to REALLY hammer the Pats then. that punishment seemed severe at the time but knowing how much evidence they had of how systemic this cheating was by the Pats, they didn't go nearly far enough IMO. They should have taken draft picks for several years and Kraft should have been HEAVILY fined.

If what is alleged in that story is true then doesn't only confirm that "deflategate" was 100% a witch hunt? Essentially the league using a bunch of flimsy non-sense in an effort to re-punish the Pats for spying 8 years ago.

I think the whole deflate thing is a bunch of overblown BS. Its just more confirmation that Goodell is a buffoon. However, spygate was clearly far worse than was let out in 2008, but we should have already known that when the league destroyed the evidence... and these revelations tell us more about how Goodell is a buffoon than they do anything about the Pats.

The moral of the story is that Goodell should be fired.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If what is alleged in that story is true then doesn't only confirm that "deflategate" was 100% a witch hunt? Essentially the league using a bunch of flimsy non-sense in an effort to re-punish the Pats for spying 8 years ago.

I think the whole deflate thing is a bunch of overblown BS. Its just more confirmation that Goodell is a buffoon. However, spygate was clearly far worse than was let out in 2008, but we should have already known that when the league destroyed the evidence... and these revelations tell us more about how Goodell is a buffoon than they do anything about the Pats.

The moral of the story is that Goodell should be fired.

There's 2 sides to it though. A friend put it this way, Goodell's job is to maximize the profitability of the NFL. He did so, by burying the true extent of the cheating in Spygate. Had the truth come out then the league would have been subject to issues like what the NBA had with the refs, or the Blacksox scandal. They would have had a multi Super Bowl champ that everyone knew had cheated, couldn't prove the cheating was why they won, but clearly they were doing it for a reason. So he helped cover up the full extent to protect the image of the NFL.

It's very tough to believe he was able to do that without the full knowledge and cooperation of the other NFL owners, they had to know. So for them to fire him now for not divulging the truth then would be disingenuous, they knew too and Goodell could clearly expose that if they fire him.

I think the deflate gate was simple, Goodell was pissed off that the Pats were still cheating after Spygate. He was so mad that they were acting like they were untouchable he decided to go after them. He knew they were violating the rule on PSI of game balls, he knew it was impossible Brady didn't know about it, so he went after them. But clearly he didn't have proof, he knew it was happening but couldn't prove it so now he looks like an idiot.

He should probably be fired for his handling of deflate gate, but they are at big risk of him then exposing the owners being complicit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's 2 sides to it though. A friend put it this way, Goodell's job is to maximize the profitability of the NFL. He did so, by burying the true extent of the cheating in Spygate. Had the truth come out then the league would have been subject to issues like what the NBA had with the refs, or the Blacksox scandal. They would have had a multi Super Bowl champ that everyone knew had cheated, couldn't prove the cheating was why they won, but clearly they were doing it for a reason. So he helped cover up the full extent to protect the image of the NFL.

It's very tough to believe he was able to do that without the full knowledge and cooperation of the other NFL owners, they had to know. So for them to fire him now for not divulging the truth then would be disingenuous, they knew too and Goodell could clearly expose that if they fire him.

I think the deflate gate was simple, Goodell was pissed off that the Pats were still cheating after Spygate. He was so mad that they were acting like they were untouchable he decided to go after them. He knew they were violating the rule on PSI of game balls, he knew it was impossible Brady didn't know about it, so he went after them. But clearly he didn't have proof, he knew it was happening but couldn't prove it so now he looks like an idiot.

He should probably be fired for his handling of deflate gate, but they are at big risk of him then exposing the owners being complicit.

this all seems about right to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am sure there were confidentiality agreements signed prior to his hiring..... also pretty sure that after being compensated over $40 million a year for doing an overall piss poor job as a commish...nobody will cry for little roger if he gets fired.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I am sure there were confidentiality agreements signed prior to his hiring..... also pretty sure that after being compensated over $40 million a year for doing an overall piss poor job as a commish...nobody will cry for little roger if he gets fired.

Goodell is making his owners boku bucks. His contract buyout is $150-175 million and is up in 2019. He's gonna be around a while, as much as we don't like it.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I've felt the NFL has shall we say some interesting anomalies to it for some time.

One such anomaly is in an era of HD would be the shot of one Pittsburg Steelers foot again in an era of HD on the biggest stage of the world seemed sort of fuzzy to me.

Interesting but JMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Everyone saw the envelope passing between them too. Oh well. Let's just hope the balls are kept under close watch from now on. Maybe Brady's delicate little hands won't be so accurate with the grown mens' ball.

Yeah, he really struggled in the Superbowl where the balls were more closely monitored than in any game ever.... 328yds 4TDs :rolleyes:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

This is stupid. Spygate was 2007. Who seriously gives a **** besides all of the jilted haters hoping Brady would serve a ridiculously long suspension? What's next--more info on Watergate? SMU's Death Penalty situation?

Let sleeping dogs lie. The Deflategate garbage was so played out. Can't wait until the season starts so we can stop talking about stories like tthis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree that he, in sweeping Spygate under the rug, was acting to protect the league... and acting as a stooge for Kraft. But I think a lot of owners were pretty ticked off about the way that went down. A lot of teams would probably like to know to what extent the Patriots stole their glory and the League's destruction of the evidence robbed them of it. Those owners may have kept their opinions to themselves to protect the league, but they had no recourse at that point anyway, the proof was destroyed before the larger body of owners had any say in the matter.

And yes, I agree that Deflategate is what it is because many of those owners were ticked off about how the Pats skated on Spygate, and in typical Goodell fashion he overplayed his hand in a misguided effort to look authoritative, just like in the Ray Rice case.

But I disagree that he would potentially say anything damaging about the league if they canned him. No doubt he'd get a nice 8 figure severance package with a whole lot of fine print obliging him to keep his dumb mouth shut.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
that really needs to be it's own post.

Confirms that Brady cheated.

The Patriots are the dirtiest team in the NFL, and none of their titles are legit.

Belichek should be suspended for life. Kraft should be forced to sell the team.

Completely agree. This is what happens when people in charge are more concerned about image than integrity.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, he really struggled in the Superbowl where the balls were more closely monitored than in any game ever.... 328yds 4TDs :rolleyes:

So since "Deflategate" and the NFL now controlling all game balls, making sure they are within acceptable limits, Brady has really been exposed. All he has done is this:

2 games:
62 of 82
610 yds
8 TDs

Clearly this guy cant throw at all without "cheating" and "deflating the balls":mulli:

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since "Deflategate" and the NFL now controlling all game balls, making sure they are within acceptable limits, Brady has really been exposed. All he has done is go:

62 of 82
610 yds
8 TDs

Clearly this guy cant throw at all without "cheating" and "deflating the balls":mulli:

LOL. As much as I think he was part (or at least knew) of the deflation, he doesn't need to cheat. The guy is legit. Not a Pats fan at all, but have to respect a QB that has been able to win without a true legit running back for most of his career.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL. As much as I think he was part (or at least knew) of the deflation, he doesn't need to cheat. The guy is legit. Not a Pats fan at all, but have to respect a QB that has been able to win without a true legit running back for most of his career.

That's what I don't get. NE has a great QB, awesome WRs and an awesome TE. I know they have cheated but why do they need to? That's what I don't get. They can dominate any team, why do they have to cheat to do it though? I just don't get it. Just stupid. :bang:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's what I don't get. NE has a great QB, awesome WRs and an awesome TE. I know they have cheated but why do they need to? That's what I don't get. They can dominate any team, why do they have to cheat to do it though? I just don't get it. Just stupid. :bang:
Cheating isn't about winning one game. It's a mindset. You instill a sense of uncertainty in the opponent and get them thinking about things other than football.

Last night is a great example, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. When the Steelers began having issues with their headsets what's the first thing everyone thought? What's the first thing Tomlin thought? Tomlin even said afterwards this only happens in NE. They were in his head before the game even started. And Spygate was, what, 10 years ago?

Opponents know NE will do ANYTHING to win and that keeps dudes up at night.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheating isn't about winning one game. It's a mindset. You instill a sense of uncertainty in the opponent and get them thinking about things other than football.

Last night is a great example, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. When the Steelers began having issues with their headsets what's the first thing everyone thought? What's the first thing Tomlin thought? Tomlin even said afterwards this only happens in NE. They were in his head before the game even started. And Spygate was, what, 10 years ago?

Opponents know NE will do ANYTHING to win and that keeps dudes up at night.

Yep. That's were NE has the advantage over every other team- The fear of them getting an illegal one up on them. Even IF the Pats never cheat, but everyone "thinks" they do, then teams go into the game with that in the back of their heads. The outside advantage they have. Great example last night with the headsets. Pitt and Tomlin immediately thought about them being cheated and probably changed the focus of the entire staff/team

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Pitt and Tomlin immediately thought about them being cheated and probably changed the focus of the entire staff/team
What doesn't make sense to me is that the league provides the communications equipment, to include the headsets. The NFL also controls the communications and frequencies. Tomlin should know that. The fact that he even allows anyone on the Steelers to even imply that the Patriots were cheating is ethically irresponsible.

He knew it was the league's issue, not the Patriots'; and if he still let that bother him psychologically, then he just isn't very bright.