Be careful what you wish for...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I read all this mumbo jumbo about dealing Marion.

Dealing a 20/12 player in his prime, who RARELY gets hurt and/or misses any time... is potentially franchise suicide.

For all his little quirks that piss people off (especially come playoff time when thise quirks tend to stand out even more)... this guy is a rare breed whose positves far outweigh his negatives.

Quit talking about him being overrated on D. Quit talking about his funny release. Quit bagging on him for "complaining" about r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

Why? Because Marion is a ballplayer. A man w/o a position. A guy who goes out and delivers 95% of the time he's on the floor.

Some of you would be glad to see him leave for a bag of peanuts and a Toronto-player-to-be-named-later. Big mistake.

Short of landing Kevin Garnett, all Suns fans better hope Marion isn't going anywhere.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
sly fly said:

Dealing a 20/12 player in his prime, who RARELY gets hurt and/or misses any time... is potentially franchise suicide.

For all his little quirks that piss people off (especially come playoff time when thise quirks tend to stand out even more)... this guy is a rare breed whose positves far outweigh his negatives.

Quit talking about him being overrated on D. Quit talking about his funny release. Quit bagging on him for "complaining" about r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

Why? Because Marion is a ballplayer. A man w/o a position. A guy who goes out and delivers 95% of the time he's on the floor.

Some of you would be glad to see him leave for a bag of peanuts and a Toronto-player-to-be-named-later. Big mistake.

Short of landing Kevin Garnett, all Suns fans better hope Marion isn't going anywhere.

In the words of Ron Burgandy, "Agree to disagree".

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
In the words of Ron Burgandy, "Agree to disagree".

How is this possible?

sly just made every single point needed to be made. We have a star already, in his prime and you guys want to trade him?

Come on!

Your right, I'd rather not have a player of Marion's caliber.

cly2tw

Reaction score
sly fly said:

What are you talking about? Without Amare, we almost got it all. Do you think if we had a healty Amare instead of Marion on this year's playoff team, we'd had less of a chance? I'd say, we'd have won it all already. First, we'd have finished off both LA teams in 5 games most. Sec., consequently, neither Nash nor Bell would be as tired or prone to injury due to fatigue as they were. 3rd, Amare would have fouled out Dirk very game.

Anyway, we have a system in place that is very flexible to adapt to the talent we have on the team and can manage to win as long as Nash is here. Get rid of Marion even without compensation, we'll win a championship with the team we have now, provided Amare stays healthy. If we get some value in return, we have much insurance on our way to the title. Period.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
What are you talking about? Without Amare, we almost got it all. Do you think if we had a healty Amare instead of Marion on this year's playoff team, we'd had less of a chance? I'd say, we'd have won it all already. First, we'd have finished off both LA teams in 5 games most. Sec., consequently, neither Nash nor Bell would be as tired or prone to injury due to fatigue as they were. 3rd, Amare would have fouled out Dirk very game.

Anyway, we have a system in place that is very flexible to adapt to the talent we have on the team and can manage to win as long as Nash is here. Get rid of Marion even without compensation, we'll win a championship with the team we have now, provided Amare stays healthy. If we get some value in return, we have much insurance on our way to the title. Period.

There is absolutely no guarantee that we will have a healthy Amare or that he will return to his former skill level.

Honestly I will believe it when I see it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
There is absolutely no guarantee that we will have a healthy Amare or that he will return to his former skill level.

The point is, 1st, Marion is definitely dispensible in this system. 2nd, he can't initiate offense. So, if Amare is not back healthy, we wouldn't have a chance with Marion, again. In that case, why sticking to him anyway? And, more importantly, if we for example could get Pierce for Marion, we'd have much better chance to win the title next season even without Amare healthy. We wouldn't win a championship on defense alone anyway, we need to keep our offense sharp enough under the playoff conditions.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our Suns franchise is constantly in change and evolving. Nash and Amare are virtually the only untouchables. Marion for all his great numbers can still be somewhat replaced. It doesnt come down to what player you get back but the PACKAGE AS A WHOLE is more a determining factor. Not only that but the MIP Diaw has made Marion more tradable. Diaw doesnt have to be as good as Marion to make the Matrix replacable. He only has to be good enough to hold down the SF postion...which he is.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
sly fly said:

I agree with a lot of what you said here, but one of our weaknesses was depth this playoffs. We would essentially be adding depth just by staying put, but our contract situation is going to be a nightmare soon. Given how well players have fit in this system, trading Marion to get some depth and cap releif seems like one option.

I'm all for keeping Marion, if we can't get what we want for him. I would say if we do trade him, wait until mid season so we know how the full suns team plays with him.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

I am with you on this point, Chris. Everyone talks like he is back to the old Amare. As far as we know, he will turn into a jump shooter. I think that we all hope not, but we have to see it first. A $70 million jump shooter will strap this franchise for years to come.

I agree that we should see what we have before making major changes (trading Marion or heaven forbid even Amare if necessary).

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
How is this possible?

sly just made every single point needed to be made. We have a star already, in his prime and you guys want to trade him?

Come on!

Your right, I'd rather not have a player of Marion's caliber.

I don't want Peyton Manning, I want Tom Brady. You guys can throw out all the statistics you want, but when it comes down to it he disappears every year in the playoffs. Regular season does us no good. I agree that we probably have a better shot at a title next year if we keep Marion. But if you guys want to remain competitive long term, then we must seriously consider letting Shawn go. Shawn will be traded this year or next. It just depends on when you want to do it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sly fly said:
I really haven't seen many "pro-trade-Marion" posters with this opinion. Those who are in favor of trading Marion are generally inspired by multiple things that have little to do with Marion's ability:

1) He doesn't produce in accordance with the amount of money he makes.

2) His salary directly impacts the depth of this team, which came back to bite us in the playoffs

3) It's probable his numbers and production could be produced by two players with the same combined salary while making the Suns better over 40 minutes.

I love Marion and his game, but I want to win a championship. I'm all for trading Marion if it makes the team better, and there are some trades that would do just that. I never said it was mandatory Marion be traded this summer, although any observation of luxury tax rules will lead you directly to the unavoidable reality he's going to be traded before next summer. In the meantime, I'm guessing the majority on this board will be happy to keep Marion for another year if it means avoiding a dumb trade or a simple salary dump before one more run at the championship. He remains one of the best and most unique players in the NBA.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he averaged one point less in the playoffs than his reg season. and this reg season was a career year. he didnt disapear. he might of had a few off games but things averaged out. the team as a whole just got worn out because of injuries. and that was without amare. marion has strengths were this team has glaring weaknesses(rebounding and defense). for those who think that you can replace one of the top3 rebounders with a comitee of players is going to have a rude awakening when we get out rebounded by 20 every night.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Okay - I have been the lead captain on the trade Marion bandwagon so i will make my point about this and be done with it.

Let me start by saying this about Marion: Many of us were shocked and dismayed when we selected Shawn 9th over Corey Maggette. I thought this was a mistake. You thought this was a mistake. Dick Vitale thought this was a mistake. The Suns must be given all the credit in the world for that pick. Marion is probably the best ‘second jumper’ in the NBA. His jump shot has been refined enough where its passable. His length causes many steals and he is on of the top five players at finishing on the break. He rebounds unlike any other guy his size. I LOVE Shawn Marion. I just wish he was on his rookie contract still. Here’s why you trade him -

$$$$$$$: You see here is the problem with paying a Super utility player 16 million a year. That money, in this salary cap age, is reserved for players who you can build around. The current system in the NBA in order to stay below the luxury tax is have a superstar – a superstar lite a good third option and then role players. Those first three players and especially those first two HAVE to be players who you can lean on when others get injured. They have to be carry the team in some way. Shawn cannot do this. Think about it for a second. What characteristic defines Shawn’s excellent play in Phoenix. Well for 8/10’s of his time here he has had the best PG in the league on his team. This can’t be overstated enough. Jason Kidd and Nash just make players better. Especially guys like Shawn who you can’t just give the ball to and get out of the way. Shawn played well when Steph was here but he was clearly the third best player behind Steph and Amare. Do you remember after we traded Steph to NY who our best player was. Good ol’ Joe Johnson.

Ok so we have established that he cant create his own shot. And at 16 million, that’s real expensive for a role player. Think about this – guys like Wade, Lebron, and Kobe will make 16 million a year (under the new CBA) – do you think those guys would have just a little more impact than Shawn does on team success. Of course. But his salary isn’t the only reason I think we should trade him while his value is high….

He is replaceable: Honestly guys. Igoudala, Richard Jefferson, Desmond Mason, JR Smith and maybe even a guy like Stromile Swift would get close to Marion’s production on this team. Marion is an athletic freak at the three, but there are a lot of those in the league. And the ones that make 16 million are the ones who have a jump shot.

He complains too much: If Marion just cashed his check, did his thing with the obscene numbers, and that was enough, I would be less against trading him. But damn he is constantly whining. That’s got to wear on the other guys when they are obviously concerned with W’s. I just don’t get it. He plays in Phoenix. He is on a championship type team. He makes crazy money. He plays with the perfect PG in the perfect system for his skills. He is a consistent all-star and has made all NBA a couple times? Whats wrong with this picture? Are you kidding me? Should’nt we just trade him to Milwaukee and give him a taste of life on the other side (Desmond Mason = Shawn Marion lite)

He doesn’t fit into D’Antoni’s system: How many times you think Shawn has missed a wide open jumper or a three and D’Antoni has thought….”Man a guy like Kyle Korver would have hit that shot” The point is Mike likes shooters. Especially at the three position. He would let the 4 and 5 do all the dirty work inside if he had a three who could shoot. Why do you think he moved Marion to the PF anyway. His system doesn’t work if the three can’t shoot…

His value is as high as it will get: I think we could use him in a package for a superstar. I think we could trade him and get back a young stud. I think a lot of teams are Shawn Marion away from being really good. Taking on his contract will be a problem but that thing has to be running out soon right? Couldn’t be more than three years (This contract has been never ending in my mind…..). When he gets older (like in a couple years) his value plummets without his insane athleticism. Lets get something for him before he turns into old Shawn Marion

He doesn’t play THAT good of defense: I always felt he played great perimeter defense and I was telling everyone he would be the x-factor in the Dallas series because he was Nowitzki’s match-up nightmare. Just put Shawn on him and let it be. Well Nowitzki absolutely killed us and when he didn’t it seemed like TT was guarding him. Say what you want about Howard needing to be guarded but if Dirk is what makes that team go – Shawn should be on him. When we were up 77-70 in Game 5, That should have been Shawn’s call to arms right there. No way Nowitzki should go off like that for 50 points…..but he did.

He can be game planned out. See here’s the dirty little secret about Shawn. He makes 16 million a year, but if a opposing coach decides to game plan for him, he can be rendered completely useless. Shawn gets all these points and rebounds because – Well why the hell would you worry about Marion when Nash, Amare, and even Diaw are so much more important to the game plan? But when he is focused on (see 2005 WCF) he is a non factor. That’s why he is so damn inconsistent in the playoffs. Because coaching and defense are heightend and they take him out of the game plan. Conversely look at a guy like Wade. You think the Mavs were game planning for him? Yeah I would guess so. But he still gets his 42 and 13. That’s what superstars do. And if you are making 16 million – like it or not you are in the superstar tax bracket.

So do I want to get rid of Shawn for nothing? Hell no. But it’s a confluence of factors here. He is IMO our fifth most important player to team success. (Nash, Amare, Diaw and Bell are ahead of him) He makes a TON of money (More than all those guys I think) He has inflated trade value (as all Suns do which is an added benefit to D’Antoni;’s system) and he gripes WAY to much. And I mean way to much. We can’t go three months without some Shawn Marion bitching and whining comments. And I can’t for the life of me understand it. Everyone gets on Sprewell fro saying he can’t feed his family. Well Shawn can feed his family, is a NBA star, plays for a winner and still whines? What will happen if things go south. Do you have confidence Marion will be the team leader to right the ship? I don’t…..

I want to win next year. Depending on the package, I’m not sure we can get in return for the ‘06-‘07 what Marion will give us so I am not saying we SHOULD trade him. It’s not my money though. If it was up to me, I would just keep adding salary. But we live in the real world and we know Sarver’s limitations. And Marion is an expensive luxury to have. So while I understand why many Suns fans don’t want to trade him and think it will hurt the team (which for next season is likely as they would probably take back young players and cap space) you have to consider the alternative. Marion is our most replaceable/ expensive asset. Sooner or later it will come to a head. Would you rather trade Diaw or Amare? I don’t think so………

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
The point is, 1st, Marion is definitely dispensible in this system. 2nd, he can't initiate offense. So, if Amare is not back healthy, we wouldn't have a chance with Marion, again. In that case, why sticking to him anyway? And, more importantly, if we for example could get Pierce for Marion, we'd have much better chance to win the title next season even without Amare healthy. We wouldn't win a championship on defense alone anyway, we need to keep our offense sharp enough under the playoff conditions.

Marion is anything but dispensible unless Amare is healthy and dominant. You are assuming too much here.

And your Pierce crusade is kind of silly. What has Paul Pierce done for Boston in the LEast? He doesn't play a lick of defense and is an average rebounder at best.

Yeah I am pretty sure that Boston would easily trade Marion for Pierce because it is a bad deal for us.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Yeah I am pretty sure that Boston would easily trade Marion for Pierce because it is a bad deal for us.
There is absolutely no way Boston trades Pierce for Marion. That team would fall apart without a dominant offensive player (which Pierce is, and Marion is not).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

He's replacable with JR Smith or Desmond Mason????

How do you even say that and believe it? One of the big fallacies here is that Marion's production is a product of the system. Marion has been putting up nearly identical numbers regardless of who he plays with or the system.

At least with Paul Pierce he is a good player, if all you are interested in is scoring.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
There is absolutely no way Boston trades Pierce for Marion. That team would fall apart without a dominant offensive player (which Pierce is, and Marion is not).

LOL that team was 33 and 49. How much more do you actually think they would fall apart without Pierce?

It isn't like you are talking about trading a key piece from a team that was 2 wins from the NBA finals. Oh wait....

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
:biglaugh:

He's replacable with JR Smith or Desmond Mason????

Wait how did I miss the classic "Stromile Swift can replace Marion."

This being right after Gaddabout said "No one is saying trade Marion for junk."

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
LOL that team was 33 and 49. How much more do you actually think they would fall apart without Pierce?

It isn't like you are talking about trading a key piece from a team that was 2 wins from the NBA finals. Oh wait....
First off, I'm not advocating a Marion-for-Pierce trade - I'm just arguing that Boston wouldn't make that trade. I'd love to see Marion stay where he is (unless we could get Garnett :D), as he's the perfect role player behind Nash and Amare. It just sucks that he makes the money he makes; if he made $8M a year, this discussion would be moot.

That's certainly a fair point about Boston being 33-49. I estimate that would be about 27-55 with Marion in Pierce's place. I do think it's possible Marion would become a better offensive player in a situation where he would be forced to create his own shot occasionally (like Nowitzki has since Nash left Dallas).

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
He makes 15 million a year. Huge difference there.
this year he is making less than 14 mil. if you are going to post that he is over paid because he makes 16 mil then you should post his correct salary.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would trade Marion for the right player for this team, but we simply have no idea who that is until we know Amare's situation.

If Amare is healthy, we need....well we need Shawn Marion minus complaining. Someone who does the little things and doesn't need the ball to be effective. You can make an arguement that Tim Thomas could fill Marion's roll to a lesser extent.

If Amare isn't healthy then we need someone who can score more. If Pierce would be an adequate replacement here, but his salary is just as high which leaves us no money to sign someone to play the 4.

Honestly I am only interested in trading Marion for an UPGRADE at the position, not just to do it because of money. I will let Sarver worry about that day when it happens.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
this year he is making less than 14 mil. if you are going to post that he is over paid because he makes 16 mil then you should post his correct salary.

2003-04 Stats: 23.0 Points/6.5 Rebounds/5.1 Assists/1.6 Steals
Contract: $12.6 million in 2004/05, $13.8 million in 2005/06, $15.1 million in 2006/07$16.4 million in 2007/08 (Pierce's option)
Agent: Jeff Schwartz

Oh snap!